Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moebius Cylon Raider (New Series)  (Read 1172 times)

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
Moebius Cylon Raider (New Series)
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »
I have been working on this kit for the last month, it still has a little bit of tweeking here and there I'm sure.  I figured I would place it up here, as my 1st completed model I have posted.

Lighting: I have built this kit around the Tena Controls board which I modified slightly by moving the battery into the base & adding a base mounted switch. 

Base:  The base is a custom base built using some pre-fab pieces I found at AC Moore, and a piece of Plexi from Home Depot.  The plexi was layered on the underside with an RC Car Lexan Body Paint called Spaz Stix.  I did a layer of chrome followed by a layer of black backer & a krylon clear coat to help protect it.  What I was left with was essentially a mirror.  So I obtained a Vinyl Battle Star Decal from Ebay, and used it as a painting mask.  I covered the upper side of the plexi in duplicolor adhesion promotor, primer, and a Krylon Gloss Black & Clear Coat.  When I removed the vinyl I was left with a sort of 3-D mirror effect. 

Paint:  The main portion of the model was done with Alclad II Chrome, Testors Rust, Buffing Magnesium, Exhaust, & Stainless Steel, Tamiya Gun Metal, and Badger Minitaire Copper Coin, Plasma Fluid Ghost Tint & Fresh Blood Ghost Tint.  I thinned out the Copper Coin with a thinner mix I got from the awesome paint job youtube channel which seems to have worked nicely (comprises of Liquitex Matte Medium, Distilled Water & Liquitex Flow Aid).

Weathering:  This is the part that I am still working on as it was my first real attempt at this technique.  I have used Tamiya Weathering Pigments. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:18:57 pm by NetworkWraith »

Offline SKYWAYS

• Commander
Re: Moebius Cylon Raider (New Series)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:53:45 pm »
Man, you guys are seriously making me afraid of posting my own stuff here for fear of embarrassing myself! :) 

That's a gorgeous build of a gorgeous design. 

I really like the weathering on it.  Gotta love those Tamiya weathering kits.  You can basically make any kind of weathering effect on them without firing up the ol' AB and compressor. 

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:34:43 am »
Thanks  ;D   

It is a pretty nice kit to build, Moebius Kits never seem to disappoint me. I have the viper kit too with the masks & photo etch, but I think I will wait till after Jerseyfest, since I may take the weathering clinic there (which uses the moebius viper kit). 

Offline eastern_thunder

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 06:47:16 am »
Nice paint job, there have been a few of these raiders cropped up recently on the boards and it good to see different peoples approach to painting and weathering this kit. I've got one on the go and drawing ideas and inspiration from yours and the others that have been posted. Thanks for sharing it with us

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:36 am »
Very cool looking build, I have never built a raider before and this inspires!!

Enterprise © Bloc