Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Star Wars] Plastic Model Kits Coming From Bandai  (Read 30330 times)

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
Re: [Star Wars] Plastic Model Kits Coming From Bandai
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 10:56:21 pm »
NMiiice...Im waiting on my x wing and advanced tie 1/72 to be delivered.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
  • I will finish a model, I will finish a model ...
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 04:15:38 pm »
I read somewhere that Fine Molds sculpt their masters then make the molds from that whereas Bandai laser scan the original filming models and then produce their molds. Sounds like a more accurate way of doing things. Having assembled a few Gundam kits and can honestly say their Star Wars kits should be exceptional.
Wil, the Kiwi Borg, in training.

I'm not a complete Borg, some pieces are missing.

Offline D$

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 11:01:52 am »
Hey guys, I got the x-wing a few days ago, but haven't assembled it yet. Didn't get the finemolds kit, so I cant really compare it. Looks really nice though. Couple of things that surprised me (didn't read anything before hitting the buy button!):

The spruce that has the r2 pieces is doubled, but r5 "dome" is on another sprue. So you can have two r2s or one of each.

It's a snap kit, which I was unaware of before buying, but looks like the joins will be either hidden or really clean.

One sprue has a few different colours on it, which spun me out as I'm used to spruces being one or the other. And they are molded colour as opposed to being painted (although not much of a difference if we're painting the whole thing anyway!

Oh and a set of decals AND the same set as stickers. Classy! I've taken pics of all the sprues if anyone wants a closer look. Let me know :)

Offline Wolf Star

• Commander
    • Santos Design Solutions
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 01:58:27 pm »
I'd like to have a squadron of these myself. 

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
  • I will finish a model, I will finish a model ...
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 10:20:24 pm »
Wait til you see the sprues from the Advanced Tie kit. The wing pieces are molded as one piece, but in colour, and, from what I've seen, two different types of plastic. When I say colour I mean black for the panels and grey from the frames, molded together on the one sprue. Bandai engineering!!
Wil, the Kiwi Borg, in training.

I'm not a complete Borg, some pieces are missing.

Offline D$

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »
Looks like I have to get the tie as well then! And I'm guessing the y-wing will have the same style base (hopefully) so that'd look good too.

If this is the effort they're putting into the snapfit kits I can't wait to see what bandai does with the more advanced kits like the star destroyer.

Had to pause for a moment when I first saw the instructions - front page down the bottom is the Disney logo. So strange to see it on an iconic Star Wars ship, but I think they're going to do all right (just keep giving us kits, please mickey!)

Offline navin rhode

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 09:24:49 am »
I really want Bandai to make a tantive iv in a decent scale..... anybody else have anything on their wish list for this franchise?

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 09:33:30 am »
I really want Bandai to make a tantive iv in a decent scale..... anybody else have anything on their wish list for this franchise?

I'd love a Sandcrawler

Offline Wolf Star

• Commander
    • Santos Design Solutions
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 09:37:12 am »

I'd love a Sandcrawler

I think either one of those would be one of the best selling SW kits of all time.  I'd love to see Bandai do something different.

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 11:40:40 am »
Hey guys, I got the x-wing a few days ago, but haven't assembled it yet. Didn't get the finemolds kit, so I cant really compare it. Looks really nice though. Couple of things that surprised me (didn't read anything before hitting the buy button!):

The spruce that has the r2 pieces is doubled, but r5 "dome" is on another sprue. So you can have two r2s or one of each.

It's a snap kit, which I was unaware of before buying, but looks like the joins will be either hidden or really clean.

One sprue has a few different colours on it, which spun me out as I'm used to spruces being one or the other. And they are molded colour as opposed to being painted (although not much of a difference if we're painting the whole thing anyway!

Oh and a set of decals AND the same set as stickers. Classy! I've taken pics of all the sprues if anyone wants a closer look. Let me know :)

That is very neat to see that they have incorporated a 4component Molding process

what this means is the molding tool stays close and they shoot 4 different types of resin into the mold in sequence.

We use this type of molding to make automotive parts all the time.

Its nice to see it used here.  Its a significant cost savings to the molder. 

You only need one tool, but your cost for capital is more because it uses a specialized press.

Nick

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 06:35:21 pm »
Can't wait! Bandai is making an outstanding job on the new SW line. Have you seen the details in the upcoming AT-ST? Check them out!
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=ja&u=http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/products/mc/mc03.html&usg=ALkJrhje_nl-tKsZ6WjkmCyMOiXEvsqwNg

Online InsaneFinn

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 09:54:36 am »
That AT-ST looks lovely. Too bad they didn't include couple of Ewoks as well since they included Chewbacca. I really should star buying these Bandai Star Wars kits as so far they seem to be very high quality. Only problem I have is that I already have too many unfinished kits. And with my work pace it will take lifetime to get all these done ;)

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 10:08:18 am »
Preorders ready for Bandai's X-wing 1/48! With lights and motorized foils! http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN996419/Sci

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 05:18:22 pm »
Oh man...awesome...C3PO is also ready for preorder.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:40 pm »
Hi, Everyone.

Now that the Bandai 1:48 AT-ST, 1:72 TIE Fighter, and 1:12 R2-D2 & R5-D4 are here (or almost here), next up are...

April 2015

1:48 X-Wing Starfighter (Moving Edition)

Product Site: http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/products/mc/mc05.html
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/60PmoyhfK7U

1:12 C-3PO

Product Site: http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/products/ch/ch04.html

May 2015

1:48 Snow Speeder

June 2015

1:12 Scout Trooper & Speeder Bike

Remainder of 2015

1:144 Slave I

1:72 Y-Wing

1:12 Sandtrooper

Looks like Bandai has had no problems keeping to their release schedule so far.

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Enterprise © Bloc