Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting inside?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline br0t

• Captain
Painting inside?
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:47:42 pm »
Curious to see what others have come up with for painting inside, I'd previously thrown caution to the wind and just sprayed indoors in the basement, but that's not good really good for me, the cats, and the wife gets headaches from strong smells.  With the current weather, that leaves me twiddling my thumbs waiting for a cool dry day.

I've looked over what some other people have done on the DIY side, and I've got some ideas.  99% of the problem I'd say is that the basement windows are recessed hoppers (bottom hinge, folds inward), so I'd need some sortof enclosure to fit around that to get air out.

Hopefully a short term issue, we're looking to buy a new house this year, hopefully one with a nice big garage  :)

Offline laheugan

• Ensign
Re: Painting inside?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:37:27 pm »
inside, i would say you really need a fan+pipes, unless you can open the whole side of the building..ie a garage door. from my experience with just windows open it doesn't get rid of the heavy fumes from paint and thinner and what not, - better to play it safe then get ill

Offline Zulu

• Lieutenant
    • Zulu Tattoo
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:28:09 pm »
I use acrylic paints to completly avoid that problem.  I spray in the house and there's no smell at all.  Vallejo Model Air is a great brand.
"Insufficient facts always invite danger."
-Mr. Spock, Star Trek: The Original Series, "Space Seed"

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »
I use acrylic paints to completly avoid that problem.  I spray in the house and there's no smell at all.  Vallejo Model Air is a great brand.

I guess you're thinning with water then?  I've mostly used enamels so far, either brushing or spray cans.  I'll admit I perhaps got a little overexcited and jumped the gun on buying an airbrush before reading all the caveats.  The more I read the more acrylics sound like the way to go right now.

Offline TrekBuilder

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »
Hey there,
Well, I had the same dilema until, I came up with an idea that, well sort of works in my situation. But if you have access to a basement window, this idea will work perfect for you. Fisrt off, I built a 27X32(If I remember correctly)inch square sealed wooden box/crate out of plywood and framed with 2X4's on all five sides except for the top. I screwed down peg board for the top that you'll be painting on. Then, I went out and purchased a 180 cfm utility vent(a little bigger then the type for a bathroom, and attached it to the side of the box. then you would run hose from the vent to the window. Now all you need to do is turn it on(with a little AC wiring), and now when you spray on your new paint stand it will force all the overspray down and out the window. Works pretty good. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Offline Schweinhund

• Commander
    • Schweinhund Models
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 06:36:29 pm »
can you share a picture of the Available Window ....   and "we" could think together on how to create a cheap Adapter for your Window and duct to a DIY Fume extractor / Spraybooth build by you on the cheap for now !!!

Let us know if you can take a snap shot of that window for us ?    We will try to help you Alleviate or diminish the VOC you are creating inside your Home !  not a good thing for all concerned !

Take care buddy !

Offline TrekkieJamie

• Commander
  • "Tough Little Ship" ..... "Little!?!"
    • TrekkieModeler Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 03:30:40 pm »
I pretty much did what trekbuilder suggests but I got the initial thought and plans from here.

http://youtu.be/ilIvHM7iox0

Just follow the build series and you will do fine

Good luck ;-)

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 07:10:52 pm »
Sorry I missed the replies here up until now.  I had actually watched the DIY series by badgrendels as part of my earlier research, and for anyone looking for info it's a great source, thanks Jamie.

Pic attached to thread if you're really that bored Schweinhund.. :)  They're hopper windows, hinged at the bottom and open inward into the recessed area you see.  Actual window size based on screen is 28 & 1/4" wide X 16 & 3/4" tall.  Max opening between the top and the window frame when open is ~3-3 & 1/4".  I could certainly build a box and just snake a dryer vent tube out the window, but with the cold winter months coming I'd rather have a nice fitting insulated solution.

I've been doing alright with water-thinned acrylics indoors and doing the nastier stuff (adhesion promoter, primer, gloss/dull, etc) out on the back porch, but that does make me a bit of a slave to the outdoor weather conditions, be it heat and humidity of summer or cold and dryness of winter.  I'm very interested to see what ideas people might come up with, but please don't feel any obligation to go out of your way.  The fiancee and I are looking to move this year and I've got my eye out on some place with a nice sized garage for working on the cars as well as a nice hobby area ;)

Offline TrekkieJamie

• Commander
  • "Tough Little Ship" ..... "Little!?!"
    • TrekkieModeler Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:18:46 am »
Good luck with the new home hunt mate and fingers crossed you get a garage as I have found it to be a good workspace for me so far ;-)

Jmar

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 03:00:44 pm »
I use acrylics whenever possible (model master mostly).

I spray in the basement. I use a heat gun for quick drying and and air purifier at the edge of the work space. The quick drying keeps the odor down and the purifier takes care of the over spray mist.

JMar

Offline Schweinhund

• Commander
    • Schweinhund Models
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »
not sure what to say about your window set up ....    Is there another variant of this Window Frame where the windows Opens Sideways.. ""Pull in"" sideways either to the left or right ?   that would help you Put in a BLOC panel and have that Punched to fit your vent ???   

I would even consider getting a HOLE cut in the foundations or Wall and have a permanent Cloths dryer VENT installed !

or move my Paint booth to a more suitable locations... 

I understands some of the others here... solution and Lesser concerns about Acrylics paint fumes;  but I jump to both sides...  between Enamels and Acrylics... and need all the bad stuff out !   

Hope you find a solution to your problem !

Offline STshipyard

• Shipyard Modeler
  • Commander
  • Its a Cellular Peptide Cake with Mint Frosting
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 05:12:01 pm »
I had the same problem and here are some pics of what I did to fix this problem. Bought all the stuff at walmart I think it cost me around 50 bucks or so to do it

20 inch box fan
20x20 house filter
lamp
dryer hose
powerbar to plug lamp and fan in so I can turn off and on at some time
and a bunch of cardboard and box tape

hope this might help
"The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope Star Trek has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities." -Gene Roddenberry-

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »
Nice setup STshipyard, and very similar to what I'd like to go for eventually.  For now I'm just using water-thinned acrylics indoors and doing the really nasty stuff out on the back porch, which is fine for now but is going to become problematic pretty soon with winter coming.

We rent presently (but are looking for a place to buy), and one of the things I had considered was tapping into the dryer vent for exhaust with a T fitting and some kind of flapper vent (if such a thing exists) to keep the booth exhaust from blowing back towards the dryer.  Not going to do that here, but I am curious if anyone has done anything similar.  Even with a flapper I imagine there would still be some serious concern about it failing or getting stuck and flammable gasses traveling back towards a hot dryer..

Ideally we'll wrangle a place with a garage (oh please oh please oh please) or a basement with more accommodating windows.

Thanks for the input! :)

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 11:42:55 pm »
I love that spray booth STshipyard. I can picture Tim Taylor introducing it on his Tool Time Show as The Binford Super Spray Booth 2000! Tim's might have something a little more radical then a box fan for air movement though ;)

Seriously though, you have a great setup there and I think I'll be modifying mine to something similar.
Thanks for posting it.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline STshipyard

• Shipyard Modeler
  • Commander
  • Its a Cellular Peptide Cake with Mint Frosting
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 12:13:53 am »
It's not the prettiest but it gets the job done well and it was a cheap setup, that means more money spent on model and stuff which everyone would rather do, glad it help some help or ideas
"The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope Star Trek has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities." -Gene Roddenberry-

Enterprise © Bloc