Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting inside?  (Read 3689 times)

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
Re: Painting inside?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 11:47:25 am »
I like the set up Stshipyard. I am in the process of getting a airbrush and that will bew prefect for me. Thanks for the post

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
Just for the sake of the conversation, to be 100% safe/certified for spraying flammable substances all possible ignition sources have to be outside of the path of the airflow I think?

I think there's certainly a potential risk with the setup, but as Fraley points out in a lot of cases the only significant difference between ST's rig and ones you can purchase is the amount of dollar signs involved, and there are mitigating circumstances

Offline STshipyard

• Shipyard Modeler
  • Commander
  • Its a Cellular Peptide Cake with Mint Frosting
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:30:54 am »
There are some very good points here, all electrical should be outside the booth, but unless you are using a explosion proof motor or EPM (which are not cheap $500 to $5000 depending on size) you can still run the risk of having a problem even if the motor is on the outside of the airflow if you are using flammable substances. If one is worried about the fan the best way to go that is cheap to is using a computer type axial fan that you put in the airstream and are a brushless motor. While these are not EPM the stator windings enbedded are in epoxy so this makes them fairly safe to use. Most hobby booths use this type of motor. Also if using flammable substances and the booth is made out of metal or plastic the booth has to be grounded a static spark is just as bad and the rule to follow to have a safe booth that is non-sparking keep the voltage at 16 volt and 50mA which is way below 120 volts that comes out of your outlet and keep everything grounded.
Now I know of people who have used motors outside of the airflow and have work just fine but remember most are not a EPM.
But my setup is use to just keep the smell of paint out of the house and over spray, it mostly comes down to what you are painting, what you are using for paint, and how much you are painting.
I hope this helps some.
"The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope Star Trek has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities." -Gene Roddenberry-

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 08:38:13 am »
Yes all the info is helpful. Thanks all!

Enterprise © Bloc