Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moebius Battlestar Galactica.... 'As of this moment.....'  (Read 1784 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Moebius Battlestar Galactica.... 'As of this moment.....'
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 02:42:16 pm »
....Steve, I hope I went into enough detail for you. Wasn't much to tell but I did my best.  ;)

Oh! Outstandingly so! I am near giddy with excitement! I've got some Vallejo wash, too, and am going to try this technique out on a TOS BSG Cylon basestar I have!

WooHoo!

Steve: I would be giddy to see your wash technique.

Karve: You? Giddy?

Steve: I was simply attempting to use your vernacular to convey an idea.

Karve: Thank you, MSgtUSAFRet.

:D

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 04:07:55 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys ... Glad you're enjoying yourself Steve .... ;D

Well today I added another dimension to my wash of the old girl. Like I said, I wanted to add a bit of a rust colour to it, not to make it look rusty (I don't think things can rust in space), but to give it more depth of colour.

I used vallejo rust wash ...
62 rust 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

Having another look at what I started with today...once it was dry the black wash really brought out a lot of detail....
63 rust 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

I have heard that you should do a clear coat between each layer of wash. However, in this case I had a feeling that doing that might defeat the purpose of what I was trying to do. I basically wanted this rust wash to augment and combine with the black wash to make it look dirtier, with more depth of colour.
  I approached it kind of like a dry brushing. I would wet my brush, and then wipe most of it off on a paper towel. Then I'd apply it to the model sparingly in most spots, and a bit more aggressively in others.
  Boy, was I surprised how much depth it brought out! It The two colours combined to really give a nice grimy dirty metal look!

64 rust 3 by Kev C, on Flickr
65 rust 4 by Kev C, on Flickr
66 rust 5 by Kev C, on Flickr
For some reason the lighting brought out more rust colour in this picture than what is actually there ....

67 rust 6 by Kev C, on Flickr

Overall I'm really pleased with how it's going. I think the next thing I will do is paint the red stripes on the areas of the ship that need them. Then I can dirty them up just a bit and then give a dull clear coat. Then I'll do the final dry brushing of the silver metallic colour to bring out more highlights, then add the battle damage with the black pigment, and then hopefully it will be good to go. We'll see....

Oh...and I haven't forgotten I have the guns and the base to do.... ;D

As always, thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:36:56 am by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2019, 09:50:37 pm »
WOW! It looks great and I am really impressed!!! This fantastic and I can't wait to see more! :)

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 07:33:50 am »
Thanks TD1701!

I'm starting to have second thoughts about what colour to use with the dry brushing. I'm thinking that using the same silver/gray/metal colour I started with would brighten it up too far. I'm really liking the darker hues I've got and I don't want to loose that. I may use a mid tone to dark grey with just the slightest hint of the silver for highlights.
  When you look at the show the ship is really a dark colour. I want to represent that if I can.
Kevin

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 12:44:42 pm »
It's been quite awhile since I've BSG however, I think you are making great choices so far. From what I can tell this is looking pretty close to what I remember. Keep up the great work!

Tom

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2019, 10:02:46 pm »
Well, now I want to build the one in my stash. Nevermind about the other half dozen I have going on right now and a general lack of mojo right now. That looks terrific Kevin! I've been mostly absent from the forum for a while and need to catch up before the changeover when Boyd merges this site with the new one.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:35 am »
Dan!!
  How ya doing buddy? Great to hear from ya. ....it's been a long time since I took a long break as well.

Glad you like my results so far...especially since I'm totally making it up as I go with the weathering. Hopefully I won't screw it up with the final stages of it.  ::)

Kevin

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2019, 04:26:11 pm »
I'm sure it will turn out great Kevin. Can't wait to see the final reveal.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2019, 07:29:14 am »
Dan!!
  How ya doing buddy? Great to hear from ya. ....it's been a long time since I took a long break as well.

Dan's back?! Wooohoooo!

Kevin, I have every confidence in your skills to make this an awesome build!

So Say We All!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2019, 06:36:23 am »
Hey all  ;D

Boyd's new forum is up and running so I'll continue my build log there.

http://www.the-modelshop.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=53&p=65#p65
Kevin

Enterprise © Bloc