Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica  (Read 10685 times)

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
Re: 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 02:22:25 am »
Hmmm...that alignment box is a great idea.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline Shaw

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 09:07:45 am »
Hmmm...that alignment box is a great idea.
Thanks!

Yeah, the other nice thing is that it doubles as a means for transporting the model later on (which is why the box is larger than it would need to be just to align the parts).

Thanks again for the detailed discussion.  So, this begs the question: which version of the Enterprise to you represents the Enterprise Starship?  Which one has Kirk, Spock and McCoy in your mind?  Considering how many versions were on TV, between 3 main versions, the AMT kit and the 33", there's a bunch to choose from.
Definitely the 11 foot model. Specially considering that much of how Jefferies saw the Enterprise in his mind works best when applied to that model.

For example, Jefferies had call outs for many of the interior features of the Enterprise, which actually work really nicely when applied to the 11 foot model's contours...

And when I did my interior plans of the Enterprise (using the original set plans as a reference) one of the things I did was partition the hull using Jefferies hull pressure compartments diagram. In fact, using this idea I had the Enterprise assembled from prefabricated compartments much like how recent aircraft carriers have been built...

So in a similar fashion, this image sorta shows a cutaway view of how the primary hull's compartments come together...

With the keel equivalent being the Deck 7/8 core (ring 0) compartment (which includes things like auxiliary control on deck 8 and the main energizers on deck 7). For a starship, the placing of that compartment in space dock and activating it's systems is when the ship would be assigned it's first commanding officer who would supervise the rest of the assembly of the ship around that compartment.

I even had the start of the turbolift network, this being how it might look inside the ship...

But yeah, pretty much all of that is based on the 11 foot model's contours. And on screen (in effects) I prefer the 11 foot model. But as a display piece, I've wanted the 33 inch Enterprise since seeing it in Requiem for Methuselah. As far back as the 80's and 90's I was making Enterprise models that were pretty close to the look of the 11 foot model... but sitting on a table or shelf, for some reason they just didn't feel right. Back then I wasn't aware of the degree of differences there were between the two models, but now I know why my models felt off compared to what I was actually aiming for.

Speaking of what I was aiming for, for some reason the nacelle end caps felt off. And after you asked about them I started looking more closely at image comparisons between mine and the original, couldn't figure out why they weren't matching up correctly.

So I took the last couple days to walk through the steps I had used to make the original master and spotted a mistake I had made... I inverted the curve. That is to say, if you applied the curve to a cylinder and cut along it, you'd end up with a part that was correctly shaped and one that wasn't... when making my template for cutting the parts, I arranged it to use the wrong side of the curve.

I started making a new nacelle end cap master last night and I'm about half way done. I should be able to pour a new mold by tomorrow and make up two new parts that are the correct shape.

This is part of the reason for some of the shots I take of the model seeming like they are being repeated, they are because they're angles that match some of my reference images and it lets me do comparisons.

I'm lucky you asked about it because it would have been worse to spot the differences further along in the build (where I might have had to remove them from the model to replace them).

Thanks!

Offline Shaw

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 05:58:41 am »
Here is my progress on that new master...

Offline Shaw

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
I figured I'd start giving the model a chance to stand on it's own. These are some shots of the nacelles, support pylons and secondary hull, just slot fitted together...

Considering the fact that I left some play in the attachment points to adjust the alignment later on, these parts are holding their positions quite nicely. And there doesn't seem to be any issues holding the weight, so that is one less thing to worry about.

I did a bit more work on the secondary hull, mainly making sure that the two sides aligned correctly and then that they were together securely enough to support the model's weight (because everything branches out from this one part). I also finally got around to making a new mold for the rear nacelle end caps and made the new parts.

Most of my efforts have been in making sure that everything fits together correctly and looks like it should. The next major effort will be bringing the nacelle body halves together.

Offline Shaw

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 01:33:14 am »
Worked a bit more on casting the intercoolers and the lower sensor dome platform, and still working on the overall arrangement of the parts (before I lock myself into that arrangement with the alignment box)...

I did a bit more work on the secondary hull...

Sometimes I forget just how far away from being finished I am while taking these shots. :(

When I think about everything that is needed to finish it can get a bit overwhelming. I just keep reminding myself that this will be the first time since 1978 that this version of the Enterprise has existed and the first time a studio scale replica of the original Enterprise has ever been made.

Hopefully I won't screw it up.

Offline Shaw

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2016, 06:05:06 pm »
This is a series of test assembly shots with some minor progress. We'll start it out with a size comparison to my build of Round 2's 18" Enterprise kit.

A handful of shots... making sure the model can support it's own weight.

These shots are mainly a test of the mounting system (these are vintage 1960's parts) to make sure that they can hold the weight...

Like on my Phase II Enterprise, I designed the nacelle support pylons with rough attachment areas on either end. The idea is that this gives me room to make adjustments in alignment as I bring the model together during final assembly. That is the reason the nacelles aren't perfectly aligned in any of these shots, there is still a lot of room for adjustments at this stage.

Scratch building a model this size is a slow process, but the main reason it is taking so long is that I've had a number of other projects that needed attention first.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 03:15:42 pm »
I'm glad to see you are back at it, Shaw! As you may know, I am a fan of your exacting research and have benefitted from your work! Thanks!

Your comparison of your build to the reference photos is nearly a match! Well done!

Just in case i missed it, are you making a Master for molding a kit? Or is this for you?

Either way, awesome job so far! Would love to see the final build!!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2016, 04:20:57 pm »
Wow, that's some serious badassery there.  Love your work!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Shaw

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2018, 11:49:03 am »
Just an update... yes, this model still exists... no, it isn't finished yet.

Here is a shot of the model as it stands currently (and how it has looked for the last couple years)...

The model is not glued together, it is just sitting assembled. This is how it looks pulled apart...

I don't know when I can get back to working on it or models in general, but it is one that has survived (at least the final parts). The molds didn't make kit-friendly parts, they were mainly for changing the medium of the model (or making a number of similar parts). I don't know which masters and molds I still have at this point, the main thing was that I still have all the parts needed for the final model still.

Hopefully some day it'll stand completed.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2018, 12:35:25 pm »
I would love to see this completed.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 07:37:45 am »
I would love to see this completed.

#Metoo

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc