Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polar Lights Land Of The Giants Spindrift  (Read 2562 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Polar Lights Land Of The Giants Spindrift
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:58:54 pm »
Since I'm in a bit of a holding pattern on my Cylon Raider while I wait on some SMDs to arrive, I decided to pull out a kit I've had since it was re-issued back in 2002, the Polar Lights Spindrift from Irwin Allen's Land Of The Giants.

I've seen some reviews and build reviews on this kit, and they are mostly positive, although there are some inaccuracies, most notably the dome on the top being round. The actual studio model's was a teardrop shape. Strangely enough, the top of the hull is molded with a teardrop shape where it fits, but the dome is round. There is an aftermarket replacement for it from Just An Illusion, as well as a rear bulkhead for lighting purposes, and replacement intake and exhaust grilles. I will get the dome, and maybe the bulkhead, but I can drill out the kit parts for the grilles-see photo-so why spend the extra cash. TSDS has a set of decals, and I will probably get them as well, since this kit is almost devoid of decals, or I lost them when I first opened the kit many moons ago. There is also a mold defect on the bottom of the hull where the floor piece sits. The guide strips cause a slight depression on the outside of the hull, similar to the ones on the engine housings of the Moebius TOS Cylon Raider. Putty time! They also molded the striping into the upper hull, which my research shows is not accurate. More putty time! That's as far as I have got as far as inspection. I will wash the parts after I have finished drilling out the grilles. The tricky ones will be the holes on the edge which aren't fully rounded. Have to use some smaller bits and try to carve and use my small files to make them look right.

Just beginning, so I haven't decided yet if it will be lit. If I do, I think I will seal it up and not have the front upper half removable. That's the lesson I have learned from my PL Jupiter 2 build (still not finished). Here we go.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Polar Lights Land Of The Giants Spindrift
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:09:09 pm »
Well, I have soaked and washed all the parts, and laid them all out for inspection. I have done a bit of test fitting on the main hull pieces, and there are some issues with fit. I can't say if the problems are mold related, slight warping over time since I've had the kit in a closet for over 10 years, or a combination, but I'll have a better idea once the interior is built and installed. The seams don't seem to be bad, but that's just a cursory observation at this point.

The engine exhaust and intake grilles are almost completely drilled out, just need to do some minor cleanup. Still in the very early stages. Going to try to open up the bulkhead viewports to the engine compartment, but if that goes sideways I'll get the aftermarket resin part. Still working on lighting solutions, what to use and where and how many, etc.

Thanks for checking in.
Dan

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:03:54 am »
Thats a cool kit. I remember watching this show as a kid. Looking forward to your progress.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:06:48 pm »
Haven't done much the past few days. Had to work late at work all but today, so was basically worn out by the time I got home. Finally had a chance to sit down for a bit with the Spindrift tonight. Finished up drilling out and carving the vents in the passenger cabin rear bulkhead. The plastic on this kit is very soft and very easy to file down, but it's real easy to accidentally go to far without trying. I figured because of the thin horizontal structure of the openings, it would be bit dicey, but I only had 2 of them break loose, and a bit of CA glue fixed those. They're not perfect, and cleanup will probably be a 50/50 mix of thinner and water to melt the little snippets of debris left over so they look relatively clean. But I'm thinking they will only be seen through the side viewports, unless I change my mind about leaving the front section of the upper hull unglued.

As always, thanks for looking.
Dan

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:26:11 am »
Good choice Dan!
  I loved that show when I was a kid. (I remember looking under my bed in case I had any little people hiding under there  ;D )
  (I didn't find any  :( )

Anyway, good luck with it. I'm looking forward to watching it take shape!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:41:59 am by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »
I have no idea what the inside is supposed to look like, but would it help to cut out the doors and put a sheet of styrene behind them to give it depth?
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 09:07:12 pm »
Hey Mark,
That's an interesting idea. They are molded with a slight indent, but cutting them out and doing as you suggest might give them more depth, too. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to light the engine exhaust, intake grilles, and the interior bulkhead when the light sources will all be in the same rear cavity of the kit. Have some thoughts, just need to work through them to see if they're practical.
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 05:14:17 pm »
*Cough* Well this is certainly a dusty old thread. I've recently started working a bit on this kit again and thought I would post something real quick. No assembly to speak of, just mocked up the passenger cabin to test the fit of the walls. Kind of iffy. The sides don't want to line up easily with either the front or back wall. I see some 5-minute epoxy being used for this one, and then reinforced with a bit of CA.

My long delayed plan is to light the engine grilles, intake grilles, reactor core wall, and maybe the pulsing dome, even though it's an inaccurate shape. Also plan on some interior lighting. Thinking of drilling holes for the SMDs on the 3-strip to poke through and light the passenger cabin. Warm or cool white? Opinions? That's it, all the other stuff is just boring old light blocking. Thanks for looking in. Sorry I haven't posted in a while.
Dan

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 09:10:02 pm »
d00de, that looks crazy small!  :o
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:28:55 am »
d00de, that looks crazy small!  :o

Not really. Should have put something for size reference next to it, but it's about 5" front to back and about 2" wide. The ship itself is around 9" in length, I think. It's 1/64 scale according to most information. Moebius makes a 1/128 scale version, with an interior too.
Dan

Enterprise © Bloc