Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Motion Picture 1:350 Enterprise Build Part 2 Drydock  (Read 18036 times)

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
The Motion Picture 1:350 Enterprise Build Part 2 Drydock
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:55:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thought I would try again with another build thread.

I recently started a month and a half ago building a 1:350 scale drydock for my Motion Picture Enterprise build.

Building the drydock from scratch is very time consuming so I haven't got a lot done yet.

I've started on the overhead modules which are 42 inches long. there are 7, 6 inch square  panels per length and 2 to make the pair.

After many hours work I cut out all the pairs of light panel openings on one module and all the square openings, and made frames to go around them. This can be seen in the first photo.

On the sides of the overhead modules there are panels which the cage connects too (don't know what they are called), anyway the second photo shows the first one made. It took about 4 to 5 hours to make and there are 28 of them. I have just started on number 5.

I have also made one of the work lights that is attached to a boom. I'm using smd leds for the light panel and it works out to be 60 lights to the panel. So far I have 24 of the leds mounted and I did a light test with the panel shining on to the saucer of the Enterprise to see how it is working. Even with the 24 out of 60 leds it looked really good. there is also a few pics of the worl light panel and light test.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
Re: The Motion Picture 1:350 Enterprise Build Part 2 Drydock
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:26:22 pm »
Hey Scott! Glad to see you started this thread! I myself will definitely keep an eye on your progress. Looks great so far. I can't wait to see more!
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
http://www.NemVia.net

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 01:11:22 am »
Thanks for the feedback Mark, it is much appreciated!

If you have any ideas and tips that will help me with this build let me know.

For everyone.

I am still working all the side pieces for the overhead modules to connect the cage to it.

I came up with a system to help me make them faster. Since I am working on one overhead module at a time I have cut out all the basic pieces for these side parts for the remainder of the 14 I need for this module plus 1 extra so I know what I need to have cut out for the second module. I now have 9 of the side pieces made, 4 complete with the detailing. It turned out quicker to make the basic structure first for all of these pieces and I will add the detailing to the 10 remaining for this module when they are built.

Here is a couple pics of the progress so far with the pieces positioned to give an idea of how it will come together.

Scott.

Offline awfsiu

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:45:09 am »
Very nice! What thickness of styrene are you using?

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:52:09 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Mark, it is much appreciated!

If you have any ideas and tips that will help me with this build let me know.

You're on the right track by doing everything assembly-line style. If you're building each piece individually, it's best to cut everything you need for each piece all at once then assemble them one at a time. It will definitely try your patience. That's how I built my 1/350 dock. There's no way I'm doing it that way again. Since I've discovered and learned how to cast parts it's a lot quicker to output all of the pieces that are needed especially in the larger scale. The 1/260 or 1/266 scale version, as some have put it, is only slightly larger than the 1/350 version.  I mean slightly only in scale. I've been finding that for the smaller parts that I'm doing for my build are sometimes only millimeters larger than the 1/350 scale. The overall length of the 1/260 scale is about 56" whereas the 1/350 is about 42". So building-wise it's only slightly larger when making it that scale. But you'll be busy with this build for quite a while. You're off to a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics!

Mark

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:47:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply Mark,

I have only started to learn how to scratch build in the last few months so I'm still learning how to do it. The only thing I have scratched built is the new Officers Lounge for the Enterprise build, so the Drydock is my second attempt at scratch building. So far I'm really happy with the results as this will be the most complex model I have ever built.

My biggest concern for this build is how to run the wiring through the inside of the cage on the sides to get power to the bottom light panels and the other spot lights on the bottom of this?

Scott.

Very nice! What thickness of styrene are you using?

awfsiu,

For the main structure I am using 1mm sheet styrene, when I come to doing the detailing I will be using 0.25mm - 1mm thick sheets.

Scott.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »
Wow Scott, that looks like a massively huge project!
 It's looking great so far. I'm looking forward to watching it come together ...  :)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:39 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been working on the detailing phase of the side structures the hold the cage to the overhead modules.

Even this stage is taking around an hour to do. I now have 5 of the 14 for the first overhead module complete.

I thought I would take a before and after photo of these parts with and without the detail so you can see the difference in them.

I have also drilled out the holes for the downward spotlights around the perimeter of the overhead module. It worked out to be 16 of them. There is a photo of the first six too.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 07:26:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply Mark,

My biggest concern for this build is how to run the wiring through the inside of the cage on the sides to get power to the bottom light panels and the other spot lights on the bottom of this?

Scott.

At first I was going to run the wires through the panel frames but realized that was going to make way too much extra work, so I decided to do it the easiest way I could think of:

The way I worked the wiring on my build was to first wire up the side light panels. I did this by running 1 wire through each of the support tubes that held each panel in place. I wired up 2 LEDs per panel. There are 14 LEDs per tier. Next, on one end of the drydock I made a connection point so that I could wire up all 3 tiers together. I then threaded tubes with wires and ran them up to the overhead modules. These wires would connect to the other 3 tiers on the opposite side then I ran the main power lines down to a control box on the bottom of the dock on the display base.

There are many extra tubes that run down from the modules for all of the lighting such as to the work cranes and the work lighting. The good thing about this king of build is the more details you add to it the better. So when all of the wiring was completed I just painted all of the tubes to match the overall color of the dock. Trust me it blends in very well. Plus it will save you lots of extra work that you don't really need. I found out a few years later that the filming miniature used similar wiring techniques.

The pics below show some of this wiring. Hope this helps.

Mark
http://www.NemVia.com

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info that will make it so much easier for me.

I saved all the pictures from your web site for your 1:350 build and when I was looking at the I couldn't see the wiring at all.
From the photos you posted above I can see them now that you have pointed out where the wiring is.

Now it doesn't seem so difficult!

Anyway, for everyone.

I now have 8 of the side structures for the overhead module complete. 6 to go for this half.

I now have glued into place 1 whole side and started with the panelling for the side.

Here is a couple photos of my progress. It's now starting to take shape.

Scott.

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 02:10:20 pm »
You Sir are insane! This is some of the most incredible work I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing your vision with us and keep the pics coming. What is the total length of the Drydock?
Phil

Offline Nova Mike

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 02:21:23 pm »
Awesome build and you are off to a great start, looking forward to the continued project.  :)

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 04:03:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

You Sir are insane! This is some of the most incredible work I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing your vision with us and keep the pics coming. What is the total length of the Drydock?
The length of the Drydock will be 42 inches long. Don't know what the width and height are gonna be yet.

For everyone,

I have now completed the detailing of all 14 side structures for the first overhead module. I worked out that there are approximately 81 pieces to make each of these structures. Do the math for 14 of these per module with a total of 28 for both and it comes to more than 2000 pieces for just these parts.

All of the side structures are now glued into place for the first overhead module.
I've taken a few photos of my progress as well as a couple pics of the overhead module in position above the Enterprise. I must say it already looks impressive.

Next I will be working on the side panelling and will post more when I have some more of that done.

Scott.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 11:08:56 pm »
Hi all,

I now have all the side panels on the first overhead module. So now the basic structure is complete.

I've taken a few photos of the overhead module as the panels were going on, you will see some gaps. These gaps are where the metal frame I plan to make will go inside the overhead module to support the model when it is finished.

So now I have to it all again to make the second overhead module. I've so far cut out the bottom piece which can be seen in the last photo next to the other overhead module. From here I will be doing the marking out for the openings for the light panels and the square openings.

That's all for now.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 05:10:51 am »
This is looking good, Scott. I was wondering, are you going to suspend your Enterprise model from the dock with an armature? The reason I asked is because of the one gap left open on the outside of the one module. That would be pretty cool if you do. Again, nice work!
Mark

Enterprise © Bloc