Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Motion Picture 1:350 Enterprise Build Part 2 Drydock  (Read 18034 times)

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
Re: The Motion Picture 1:350 Enterprise Build Part 2 Drydock
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »
Looks wow!
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline RaveN

• Captain
  • You under estimate the power of styrene and glue..
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »
Excellent work so far. This has got to be a MASSIVE undertaking. Look forward to the day we see this one completed!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 05:40:34 am »
Wow that is gonna be so cool!
  Excellent work....and the patience you must have might be at historic levels !   :)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »
What Kevin said.  :)

this is an awesome build

David
Glue part  57 to 67 - ok, done. Going good here.
After having first inserted sub-assembly 10 - Damn!

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 07:55:02 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys!!

This is the biggest and most complicated build I'm attempting and the first model I have scratch built.

Things are moving along slowly. I'm waiting for a couple supplies to come from overseas to help with the detailing.

Anyway I have finished the detailing around the first light panel and it looks really good. Will look better once I get to the stage of getting primer on it.

I've also made a little bit more progress to the detailing to the first 2 squares. A long, long, long way to go yet.

Here is a couple more update pics. See if you can spot the differences between them and previous photos!

Scott.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2015, 11:28:38 pm »
Hi all,

A small update.

Still working on detailing the underside of the first overhead module. The first three 6 inch squares are about half finished. About to move on to the 4th square. I'm still waiting on supplies to arrive so I can add more of the detailing. It's slowly getting there. The first photo shows more of my progress.

I also made my first square for the cage/tiers around the sides. The second photo shows the first one which I will use as my proto type and template for the rest of the vertical ones. Again it is a 6 inch square to match the overhead modules. I've made it out of 1/4 inch styrene tube. To get the bends I heated up a length in the oven to soften the plastic. When it was soft enough I bent it around a coffee cup then cut the corners once it cooled down enough to hold it's shape. I glued 4 corners and 4 straight lengths to make it. Later there will be a light panel suspended in the middle of the square.

That's all for now.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 08:19:21 am »
This is looking good Scott. Nice work on the light panel frame too. Just an FYI tip for the curved tier frames. On my build the frames are all the exact same size. Yours are 6" square, so the pieces you make for the upper and lower tiers are the exact same size. Just cut all of the pieces as you would for the straight panels. then you only need to bend the two side pieces to make the curved shape and then assemble them to the frame. I just wanted to tell you that so you don't have to figure out if you need a longer length for the side pieces of the squares. I tried it with longer side pieces and it did not look right. They are all the exact same size. The upper and lower tiers just have a bend in their frames. Just thought I'd let you know.
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
http://www.NemVia.net

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 01:14:39 am »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that info, I was kind of worried how to get that right which is why I started with a vertical one first. Knowing that the curved pieces are the same length as the straight one will help immensely. Does that mean that the curved tiers wont be 6 inch square when it is laying on the table?

I've now decided I want to suspend the Enterprise with an armature but I have no way of making the armature at this stage.

For everyone,

I've made on of the light panels that is suspended in the square tiers. So far the panel is in 2 pieces that will later be assemble. We have the 4 sides and the back as 1 piece and the light panel front frame as the second piece. When the front and back are assembled the box will be 10mm thick. The pane is 2 and a half inches square. To light the panels I am thinking of using a length of led strip stuck to the back of the frame. When lighted the light will bounce off the back of the box and light the panels at the front.

Here is a couple pics of what I have done with the first light panel.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 01:33:24 am »
Yes, I started with the middle tier as well for the same reason you did. I wasn't sure how I was going to do the curved pieces. After you put the curves on those pieces they will not be 6". You will have to drill the holes that support the light panels after you bend them or the rods will not line up to the holes. Once you get one of them finished you'll get the idea of how to do them. It is kind of a pain to do those frames and make them all the same. Do a few practice bends and assemble them together. After that put the mounting rods on your panels then put those assemblies by the frames where they will be mounted and then drill out the holes. If you need some pics to show how I did this I'll post them for you. Otherwise you can check my website. But it's looking great so far. Nice work!
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that info, I was kind of worried how to get that right which is why I started with a vertical one first. Knowing that the curved pieces are the same length as the straight one will help immensely. Does that mean that the curved tiers wont be 6 inch square when it is laying on the table?

I've now decided I want to suspend the Enterprise with an armature but I have no way of making the armature at this stage.

Scott.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 02:44:37 am »
Hi all,

Another quick update for you.

I have got as far as I can go with the detailing of the underside of the first overhead modules. The extra materials I ordered for the detailing came today so I can start to fill in some of the areas that don't have much detailing yet.

I put up a photo of the 2 overhead modules side by side so you can see the difference the detailing makes compared to the non detailed one.

I also added the support rods to the light panel I made and have it sitting in the frame I had made for the vertical tier. Photo number 2.

The last photo is of the armature I got a neighbour to make for me which is going to support the Enterprise inside the drydock so it will look like it if suspended in there without anything holding it up. One end will go into the saucer where the airlock is on the side and then connect to the overhead module, which will then be hidden by the gangway. The armature is made out of 6mm steel rod. With how difficult it was to bend into shape it should be strong enough to support the weight of the Enterprise.

Scott.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 06:22:34 am »
Hi all,

A very quick update.

I'm still working on detailing the bottom of the first overhead module. I will put more pics of the progress up later.

I had a spare 1/2 hour so I made a start on the lighting system. Each overhead module will have 10 down spotlights each. I made up the first 3 and put them in position to do a light test to see how it will look. I have to say just the 3 lights had a good effect. I haven't done any light blocking yet. But here is a couple pics of the first lights. Let me know what you think. The photos were taken in complete darkness, one with the flash on.

That's all for now.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:47 pm »
This is looking great Scott. Are you leaving the LEDs sticking out a bit from the bottom? You won't really need to worry about light leaks from those lights, just FYI. Once you get this painted it's going to look Sweet. Looking forward to the next updates as well!
Mark

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 04:54:54 am »
Hi Mark,

I've been thinking about the led's since I put them in, for me they look like they are sticking out too far. I'm thinking of cutting a 1mm or 2mm piece of plastic to put the led in before I mount the so only the dome part is through the hole.

For everyone.

Here is an update close up pic of the detailing I've done to the underside of the overhead module. I'm planning on adding more still to fill in some of the vacant areas. Now that I have the frame around the first light panel finished, I have now started on the detailing of rest of the frames. The second frame can be seen in the photo.

The second photo is of how I am going to run the wiring in side the module. If you have seen part 1 of this build you will recognise what I am doing. Again I am using square tubing to run the wiring through to keep it neat and tidy and out of the way for future things that will still need to go inside. I am also using a terminal block to run the wires to for all the different circuits that will be used on this build. The wiring will be set up the same for both overhead modules.

That's all for now.
Scott.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 01:53:16 am »
Hi all,

I have the 10 Down lights completed for the first overhead module now. They are only in temporary for light testing at the moment.
The first 3 photos are of the light test again in complete darkness and it looks really good already. The forth photo just shows how the wiring is going to be layed out inside the model.

I've also been continuing on with the detailing of the frames around the light panels which can be seen in the 5th photo. I have also made a start with the panelling on one of the sides as well, last pic.

That's all for now.

Scott.

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 06:08:38 am »
Speaking for myself, I am watching this thread, I simply have nothing to add but stunned silence.
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Enterprise © Bloc