Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My AMT1/537 Enterprise Refit No2 and my cat better leave this one alone!  (Read 10614 times)

Offline David1701a

• Commander
Back in the early 80's, in my late teens, I went through a bit of a model making mania. I had the usual planes and ships that most of us built as kids.
But my pride and joy and the model I lavished the most care and attention on was my AMT 1/537 scale Refit Enterprise. It took me over 6 months to finish.
Not bad for a bloke who usually reckoned to knock out a model over a weekend.
Fast forward to 1993 and several house moves later. My Enterprise model, now joined by 1701-D sat atop an 8' bookcase, safe from everything or so I thought.
I came home from work one day, to find the saucer section of -D greeting me at my front door, it's intact hull half-hidden under my couch.
Just beside that I could see the wide-eyes of my cat who totally refused to come out from under.
The refit hadn't faired as well. Basically there wasn't enough unbroken bits for me to even think about a salvage job.  So it hit the bin, accompanied I must say by not a few tears.
in October of 2014, I happened to be looking on ebay for christmas presents when I chanced across a shop not that far from me selling the re-released 1/537 Refit. Forgetting that I was supposed to be buying for other people, I whipped out the credit card and it was at my door 4 days later.

A visit to a hobby store in Bendigo got me some glue and the basic paint colours I need to get started.

I quickly glued the secondary hull together, and remembering the fun I'd had 30 years ago, trying to get the dorsal and secondary hull aligned, I used a carpenters square to line them up.

Glue part  57 to 67 - ok, done. Going good here.
After having first inserted sub-assembly 10 - Damn!

Offline karve

• Admiral
Re: My AMT1/537 Enterprise Refit No2 and my cat better leave this one alone!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:34 pm »
Have fun with it and post lots of pictures along the way. Looking forward to watching!

Forgetting that I was supposed to be buying for other people, I whipped out the credit card and it was at my door 4 days later.

LOL ...I'm glad I'm not the only one. I spend more on myself at Christmas time than I do on anyone else.  ::)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »
With this model I had decided to paint it with slightly more accuracy than I was able to do
31 years ago when my palette had been limited to a slightly pearly gloss white, gloss black and red.
The instructions with the kit didn't match my recollections of the movie. So I did some googling and found this page. http://www.paveglio.com/startrek/files/Enterprise.PDF
As I wasn't planning on going all-out with the paint as regards aztecing I decided to work with his guide.
I also played my copy of Star Trek 1 on my computer and grabbed screenshots of the Bridge, Strongback, Nacelles and Pylons.

The other thing I did resolve to correct was the Dorsal/Lower Saucer interface which didn't match the film.
So looking at Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise and the Paveglio website I soon confirmed that the dorsal ended to soon.

compared to

and

I didn't like the idea of just building it up with putty. So I used some strip balsa glued together with 5 minute epoxy.

then taking my razor saw; and a few deep breaths I removed the front and top of the dorsal

I then glued the roughly sized balsa strip in with the epoxy.

then shaped and puttied it.

Came up pretty well I think. Still needs some priming and final puttying.

The last thing I did was to cut off the locating pin at the top of the dorsal and drill two holes.
I have used small self-tappers to secure the lower saucer to the dorsal. When it comes time they will be further secured with epoxy.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »
Thanks Karve. I intend to have a lot of fun with it.
She's not getting lights or sound, just build the kit and renew some skills.
My Wife bought me the 1/350 PL Refit and the 1/72 AMT TOS Bridge Module for Christmas so I currently have 3 projects on the go.
The Bridge module will be my next post and I haven't really started on the 1/350, frankly it's scaring the pants off me, especially after seeing
the high standards of work being posted here.

The bigger Enterprise and the Bridge are going to be lit and I am waiting on the Paragrafix photo-etch bits and some DLM parts for both.
I also am getting an airbrush to do the painting so that's a new skill I have to master.

meanwhile my poor n scale 1960's Australian railway is being ignored.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:12:01 pm »
Hello David. Your cat story is eerily similar to mine regarding my original 1/537 Enterprise. It was the version with grain of wheat bulbs for lighting the saucer windows. Came home to find it in pieces after taking flight from the top of a 7' bookcase. Only the culprit never hid or admitted responsibility. I just got a replacement last week off of EBay, but won't be building it anytime soon. I also can relate about the 1/350 Refit being intimidating. Been tinkering with it, removing some flash and what not, but still need all the bits and bobs before I can actually start it.

Never heard the observation about the dorsal being too short before. That's interesting, and a clever way of fixing it on your part. Nice work.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:02:58 pm »
Where did you bury the cat's body? ;)
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Pakratt840

Armandodlc
Quote "Where did you bury the cat's body? ;)"

Mischief (lived up to his name) lived to a ripe old age. He was a very loving cat for about 2 days post the "EVENT" then went back to normal feline behaviour.  ;)
But he never jumped  up on the bookcase again. I still don't understand how he got from floor to the top of an 8' bookcase. We're talking about a cat that had to have a chair
placed either side of "his" window to go in and out. It'll be 20 years this year since he died and I still miss him.

Stay tuned for further adventures in the land of Refits. I'll be starting a new thread in a couple of days about the TOS Bridge build.

David

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 05:43:39 pm »
I REALLY don't like all the panel lines on the 1/537 refit. So I've filled them and rescribed the deflector lines.

Starboard engineering hull and dorsal

and Port

Upper Saucer

and Lower.  Here I've also had a first attempt (which I'm not happy with) at scribing in the missing hatch and landing foot.

Closer View.  I didn't get them lined up quite right. Ah well, more putty and scribing I guess.

and finally I am finding that a sparing use of the following super-cool liquids to be of benefit when things don't quite go to plan and while I'm waiting for bits to arrive from overseas. :-D

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 11:28:41 pm »
Looking good so far David.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:06:16 pm »
Work proceeds slowly on the refit. I have a few fit issues to address and I've been putting them off.

The Starboard Pylon fits into the Strongback extremely well and should be a matter of glue, putty along the seam and light sanding.

The Port Pylon on the other hand flaps about like a flag in a gale.

I glued a small piece of ribbed styrene I had from structure building on my railway, into the bottom of the Strongback hole in the hopes that this would tighten up the fit.

I trimmed it flush with cutters and a bit of filing, however the fit is still loose.

I then filled the hole with putty waited for it to skin a bit and then used the pylon to create a
hole.

Once that has had a day to harden I'll start filing for a better fit.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
Unfortunately this model has been taking a back seat to my Bridge build.
But I would like to get it finished so I can start on it's larger incarnation.

After much work on the port pylon socket on the strongback, I had a good fit and have glued both pylons in place.

At this point the model is just sitting on the base for convienence.

I think the angles look right.

I then did a test fit of the lower section of the saucer

When I put the top saucer section on, the whole thing tipped forward and fell off the base.
I had the same issue with the original model 30 years ago. From memory I used some car body filler in the secondary hull to bring the centre of gravity back a fair way.

This time I'll probably do something similar.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Is the engineering hull sealed up already?

Offline David1701a

• Commander
unfortunately yes.

Last time I removed the shuttle bay doors and made a hole there.

this time i may go through the base mounting hole.

and rather than body putty I may use glass vase balls and white glue.
that way I shouldn't have to worry about heat distorting the secondary hull

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
I was going to suggest plasticene clay but that would be difficult with a sealed hull :(

Offline David1701a

• Commander
that's a really good idea.
looks like the shuttle bay doors are coming off :-)

Enterprise © Bloc