Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My AMT1/537 Enterprise Refit No2 and my cat better leave this one alone!  (Read 10612 times)

Offline David1701a

• Commander
Re: My AMT1/537 Enterprise Refit No2 and my cat better leave this one alone!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 11:09:30 pm »
I'm not a fan of the design either, but its way better than the original from the early 80's.
On that one the styrene of the base column was too thin, over time it twisted to the right.
I had to stick a 1/2" dowel in it to stop the twist.
With the new one, I did toy with the idea of a a rod with a washer and nut to hold it all together.
But in the end decided not to as I would have to take off the deflector (again) to do the nut up..
Having done a couple of trial runs with it all assembled on the base, I'm happy that the balance will
help keep it in place.
I plan to use a flexible epoxy to glue them together. It's one I use on laptops to fix broken plastic around
power jacks. It also comes in handy for power switches and LEDs on computer cases.
It stands up to stress better than a rigid cyanoacrylate.
Glue part  57 to 67 - ok, done. Going good here.
After having first inserted sub-assembly 10 - Damn!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 06:06:17 pm »
I can empathize with the cat story...in my house it is either frequent moves or felines that result in trips to the 'shipyard', 'aircraft maintenance depot' or the 'auto body shop.'
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 07:04:40 pm »
I can empathize with the cat story...in my house it is either frequent moves or felines that result in trips to the 'shipyard', 'aircraft maintenance depot' or the 'auto body shop.'

It was usually moves that did it. I lost my entire fleet of aircraft after a removalist ignored the "fragile, owner will take" labels on the 3 boxes they were in,  and loaded them in the truck under my boxes of books.

My X-Wing, Space 1999 Eagle and Apollo 11 Eagle all fell due to a brief spring cleaning mania. I had moved them to a table for dusting and got the power lead to the vacuum cleaner around the table legs. Pulled on the vacuum cleaner the table tipped and they hit the slate floor.
Glued them back together but the X-wing looked like it had collided with the Deathstar,  The Eagle looked like the after shot of the nuclear explosion. And Armstrong and Aldrin did run out of fuel just before landing.  they didn't accompany me on my next move. By that stage I was down to my Star Trek Exploration Set and a couple of small scale battleships and K.I.T.T.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 06:26:32 pm »
Bit of progress this week.

Finished the base coats and pearl.

I have now started masking the nacelles for  my
first attempt at airbrushing.

I have hand painted the details on the spot light array at the bottom of the saucer.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 08:58:31 pm »
I was doing a test fit of the upper and lower saucer halves this morning, and I noticed how badly the window pieces still fit.
Even after sanding and filling. They looked ok apart but as soon as the top went on, errghh.
So I am back to sanding and filling, sanding and filling until they blend together.

I'll post some photos later.

Has anyone got tips on how I can redo the sensor bands, or know where I can get decals?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:40:13 pm by David1701a »

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 09:57:15 pm »
You can use mine.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 11:37:01 pm »
Thank you so much.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »
Here are some photos of the window inserts after filling and sanding

then I had to mask the saucer.

I started by using short strips of blue tape laid out radially.

as you can see, I quickly realised that doing it that way would take the rest of the day.
I then went with narrower strips and laid them to conform to the circle I was masking. This went a lot quicker

Then I overlaid that with newspaper.

Two coats of primer a very light sand, blow off. Followed by two coats of Matt White, another light sand and finished with two coats of pearl white.

Looked great.

Then I took the masking off this morning before I started work.

I had a wonderful primer with pearl effect going on around 50% the underside of the saucer. I had been concentrating on getting a nice coat around the edge and hoping for a feathered effect.
I gave the slightly raised edge a sand and then took the saucer out to the garage where she got a light coat of Matt White. I'll hopefully do the next at lunchtime.

Short explantation for the odd shot of keyboards and monitors. I work from home. I have been doing a lot of the masking and prep work in the shop because I know that if I keep taking the model up and down the stairs sooner or later I'm going to drop something.  And the area I'm using is where I clean out computers. So there is an airgun and vacuum cleaner handy.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 05:18:58 pm »
It's been a couple of months since I posted anything to either of my build logs.
I managed to pinch a couple of nerves in my neck that left me with a left arm and hand that was pretty useless for most of that time. It's finally come good in the last two weeks, and last week I finally felt up to trying to model again.

I have started painting the upper saucer details, by hand since I'm still not confident in my air-brushing abilities.

I found that despite carefully aligning the bridge dome to the upper saucer, that the dome was off-centre by about a millimetre, not obvious when it was white on white, but obvious as anything when I put the paint on.

So I cut it off and now am filling and sanding the upper saucer prior to re seating the dome.

In the meantime I've made a start on painting the line around the lower saucer/neck junction.

along with some of the detail work on the nacelles

and

I need to improve my masking skills, and I have had to re-learn how to dry-brush the copper details on the magnatomic flux construction grills.

Offline RaveN

• Captain
  • You under estimate the power of styrene and glue..
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 06:01:35 pm »
Great work David. Hope the neck gets better soon.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 04:48:17 pm »
Great work David. Hope the neck gets better soon.

Thanks Raven.
This is all practise for the 1/350 scale refit.

Offline capnjim

• Ensign
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 05:41:25 pm »
I love the 537. One of my favorite model kits ever. Great job so far and Ill be waiting to see how this one turns out.

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 06:29:59 pm »
Thanks for the kind words capnjim.

she's starting to come together, for a while I despaired of getting as far as I have, some techniques I had down
pat as recently as 6 years ago seem to have deserted me. And I no longer seem to have the patience to do more than
a couple of hours a day on it, and then only on weekends.

this is my second go at this model and so far it has taken twice as long as the first one did 34 years ago.
I have a few issues with the details on this model, the panel lines are a huge peeve, and some of the castings just
don't fit well together.
But this one and my TOS Bridge Module build are mainly a chance to renew some old skills and learn some new ones,
before I make a start on my 1/350 refit.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:56 am »
Loving watching this one come together David.

BTW - I must have missed that bit but are you using masks for the aztecs? I have a 1/537 smoothie calling out to me (my 1/350 refit will probably never get built as I have no room for it) and the Polystranspar water based paints on their way.
Iain

Offline David1701a

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 03:28:21 pm »
My original plan was to just rely on the pearlescent white to give the overall effect of the Enterprise as seen from a distance.
But every time I watch ST:TMP it tasks me to have a go at the Aztecs.
I have some masks courtesy of a website that I looked at early on when I was trying to accurize the model.
it is a skill I will need for the big Big E.
But I have been following dannyk's work where he free-handed some of his Aztecs.

Sooner or later I'm going to have to bite the bullet, get out my airbrush and start learning how to use it.   :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:18:07 pm by David1701a »

Enterprise © Bloc