Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [How To - Arduino Nano] Starfleet Starship Running & Strobe Lights  (Read 9958 times)

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
Re: [How To - Arduino Nano] Starfleet Starship Running & Strobe Lights
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 03:12:47 pm »
I have had it running on the breadboard with the mini pro for 72 hrs without a hitch so far.
Good work.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 03:30:55 pm »
I was with you right up to when you said "Hi Everyone". :-[ Then my brain went fart!

Still - nothing ventured, nothing gained so I have bought one of these boards to try it out. ;)

Who knows if I can suss this out I will use it on my 1701E build.

Don't worry, setting up an Arduino board is about as complicated as adding a printer to your computer.

After that, if you just want to copy-paste code into the software and send it to the board, it can all be done with a few minutes more.

I also have code for a customizable LED flicker effect.  Should be perfect for impulse engines, Klingon Bird of Prey engines, and Enterprise-E bussards.  I just have to combine it with navigation and strobe code.  :)

I have had it running on the breadboard with the mini pro for 72 hrs without a hitch so far.

Good to hear!

I'll be adding a few more effects threads soon.  :)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 03:35:16 pm »
Then my brain went fart!

So, that is what that smell is!!   :)

I bought some of these boards and watching this thread very closely!
Not quite ready to start the trial and error thing yet!

This will work great for me if I can pull it off cause most of my models I want to use this with
are just simple navs and strobes!! Like I want to add strobes to my shuttle Tydirium build! Also, very cost effective!!

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »
Keep in mind while each pin can out put 40 mA, that's a max rating. And the board usually is limited to 160-200 mA total, so you can burn up the board long before you run out of pins.

In reality, each LED takes about 15mA, and you'd need to have all of them on at the same time to approach the limit.  BUT, and it is a big but, in electronics you never want to run things close to their limits.  Derating components is common practice to extend life. 

Transistors are definitely the way to go if you are ever going to pull 100mA or more through an Arduino.

One other caution about the minis and nanos. The on board Usb ports tend to snap off real easily.  They are a bargain for sure, but very delicate.  I'm gonna look for an IC socket for my test articles so they survive bread boards better.
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 12:54:51 pm »
Keep in mind while each pin can out put 40 mA, that's a max rating. And the board usually is limited to 160-200 mA total, so you can burn up the board long before you run out of pins.

In reality, each LED takes about 15mA, and you'd need to have all of them on at the same time to approach the limit.  BUT, and it is a big but, in electronics you never want to run things close to their limits.  Derating components is common practice to extend life. 

Transistors are definitely the way to go if you are ever going to pull 100mA or more through an Arduino.

Yep, I agree with you.  Once I get in the transistors I want, I will create a new test setup, refine the sketch to reflect the need for fewer pin outputs, and update this thread.

:)

One other caution about the minis and nanos. The on board Usb ports tend to snap off real easily.  They are a bargain for sure, but very delicate.  I'm gonna look for an IC socket for my test articles so they survive bread boards better.

I haven't noticed any issue with the Nanos that I currently have.  But then again, I don't tend to plug and unplug them repeatedly.  As with most electronic components, try not to treat them with a heavy hand, and they should be okay.

-----

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 02:15:52 pm »
Think of all the fun you are having, and you haven't even gotten heavily into PWM programming!
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 01:32:16 pm »
Nah!

Got my Nano in today and I haven't a clue what the hell I'm doing. Time to order from Tena methinks. :-[
Iain

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 02:08:49 pm »
It is a little intimidating at first, but once you see what you can do, and you can do a lot just by copying what others have done, it gets to be quite empowering.

I didn't know squat about programming in C, or C+, or C+++++++++++ or whatever the frack the little guy uses.  But I was able to glean enough from studying examples and playing with it.

If nothing else, you should never have to buy strobe kits again.
MarkW
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 02:19:47 pm »
Nah!

Got my Nano in today and I haven't a clue what the hell I'm doing. Time to order from Tena methinks. :-[

I think Ralph and TenaControls are great.  I have some of his products, and I have had a hand in providing ideas and details for a few things that he sells.

But I've always had a Do-It-Yourself mentality which very often lends itself to plastic model building.  Arduino (and other products like it) is a great DIY electronics platform.  One of the things about it is that to take full advantage of it, you need to understand how to code for it.  BUT...even if you don't know how or don't even want to code, there are so many resources out there with pre-written code that you can simply copy-paste-program an Arduino board to make it do things in just minutes.

That's why I started my two how-to threads here.  It's meant for you to just copy the code, shoot it over to the Arduino, and then solder everything together and you have yourself an under-$4.00 lighting effects control board.  And with each of the examples I provided, if you want to change settings or add more functionality, the range of difficulty to do so can go from very-easy on up depending on what you want to do.

Is there anything in particular you're trying to do with certain model kits where the Arduino examples here might be able to work for you?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:22:34 pm by Gadgetron_3000 »

-----

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 03:11:00 pm »
Thanks guys!

I have been persevering and have now got 3 blinkies working and the damn thing hooked up to 9volts external power as well.

Still haven't a Scooby but I'm getting there. Feel a bit of a cheat basically copying/pasting other's work but this will be used on my Enterprise E build.

Will still be getting stuff from Ralph/Tena but this does give us more options.
Iain

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 06:37:17 pm »
It's all about empowerment, brother!  Maybe you can even figure out a way to not have to keep stealing Eleanor's board.
MarkW
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 02:38:26 am »
It's all about empowerment, brother!  Maybe you can even figure out a way to not have to keep stealing Eleanor's board.

Mm! Never thought of that and she is mega p***ed off that I keep "borrowing" her board ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:30:26 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline RossW

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 03:20:40 pm »
Very nice, Gadgetron! I've been programming with PIC microcontrollers for a number of years back when the only option was Stamps which are way too expensive. But PICs need more components and aren't as easy to configure & code as Arduinos, so I'm experimenting with them too. I really like this thread you've started since it does cover everything you need to get going.

And thanks for acknowledging me in your code! I got some details from Trek Ace on HT for the 2nd pilot version but then used my DVDs & counted frames to come up with the rates below. For anyone who's interested:

' The running light locations on the primary hull are (4):
'   - Saucer Port [top] (red) - 1
'   - Saucer Starboard [top] (green) - 1
'   - Saucer Port/Starboard [bottom (white) - 2

' The TOS E running lights flash at a base timing of 1-1/2 sec (36 frames) on,
' 1/2 sec (12 frames) off

' Alternate is 1/2 sec on, 1.5 sec off (reverse of above).

' In "The Corbomite Maneuver", the lights were on for 18 frames and off for 20

' For the 2nd pilot, the lights were on for 1 sec and off for 2/3 sec (Trek Ace)
' (http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=4515070&postcount=10)

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 09:10:27 am »
Ross, I applaud your scientific, and scarily anal retentive attention to this detail!
MarkW
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline RossW

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 12:23:56 pm »
Thanks Mark! But you have no idea how bad it is ...  ;)

Enterprise © Bloc