Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to use an airbrush  (Read 8182 times)

Offline OCD CREATIONS

• Lieutenant
Re: how to use an airbrush
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 07:41:14 pm »
If the tip(also known as the needle cap) on your airbrush is causing problems you can remove it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:23:46 pm by OCD CREATIONS »
That was my last frackin' led

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 08:32:29 pm »
If the tip on your airbrush is causing problems REMOVE IT

I believe I may have not been clear as to what tip I was referring to. It's the tapered nozzle inside the head and spray regulator assembly. I've circled the part on the schematic. Would soaking this in lacquer thinner help to dislodge any build up of paint inside it?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline OCD CREATIONS

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 01:27:56 am »
I call that part you circled the cone it is usually made of stainless steel or brass cleaning it with Lacquer thinner will not cause any damage . If you want to experiment you can remove the tip which is the last part at the front. If you are using a quality airbrush  the results will be noteworthy. I checked some airbrush part diagrams ,the official name for the circled part is the nozzle and then the nozzle cap and then the needle cap. Most airbrushes will work without the needle cap. I will use the official names in the future to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:17:08 pm by OCD CREATIONS »

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:58 pm »
Yes, you can clean metal airbrush parts with lacquer thinner. It's the only thing that will soften/remove old acrylic paint gunk.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 07:57:32 pm »
Had an issue with the AB today, but I'm not sure exactly what caused the issue. I was using Floquil acrylic paint, thinned with the recommended Master Modeler Acrylic thinner, about a 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner ratio. I was spraying at about 18p.s.i. I didn't notice until I finished spraying the part that there was some areas where there appeared to be tiny bubbles in the paint. I had used this paint before, but that time I sprayed it at around 25p.s.i., and the thinner ratio was 1/2 as much thinner. Do I need to increase the pressure on the AB? The only reason I changed the ratio and pressure from before was that some of the paint stuck to the needle and caused the needle to not seat in the nozzle fully, allowing paint to be sprayed even though I was not pulling back on the trigger, only pressing down for air.
Dan

Offline OCD CREATIONS

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 02:03:38 pm »
What was the material you were painting on? It is possible that pinholes were present or moisture, a good cleaning and some primer may take care of the problem. You can also blow air only through your airbrush onto the part to make sure no water is still present from cleaning. Let me know if this was helpful.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 06:32:29 pm »
The material was styrene plastic. I was re-painting an area that had been sanded and re-primed. I had not used the airbrush in a few days, so it should have been well dry from the last cleaning. I just think that I was spraying a combination of too thin a mixture at too low a pressure, and got a very light spatter as a result.
Dan

Offline OCD CREATIONS

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 10:28:37 pm »
Sounds like the pressure was too low. I think you figured it out on your own.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 03:12:53 pm »
It happened again. And I now don't think it was the pressure. Mainly because I have realized that my compressor tops out at 18psi spraying pressure. I can dial up the compressor to build to 60psi, but as soon as I start to spray, it drops to 18psi. It's only 1/5 hp, and no storage tank, so apparently that's it's max. Have been thinking about upgrading to a better one, but that will have to wait. I test sprayed on an old AMT 18" Enterprise secondary hull with some Tamiya paint that was pre-thinned some months back and it sprayed just fine and dried smooth as the plastic it covered. I hand stirred the Floquil paint, so it may not have gotten mixed well. That was my fault.  And the thinner mix seems to be more finicky. That's one reason I prefer using one type of paint on any given project. Less variables to deal with. The funny thing is that my initial spray with the Floquil was flawless. At least I'm pretty sure it's not my AB.
Dan

Offline OCD CREATIONS

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 09:11:45 pm »
Hey Dan, I just checked out your latest video on the Cylon Raider build , It's looking great, the electronics and attention to detail are top notch.  As for your painting problems I bought 20 small bottles on e-bay that I mix my paint in prior to putting in my airbrush cup, any leftovers get labeled and sealed up until the next time I need them. You should definitely invest in a compressor that has a storage tank, when you can spray at 30 or 40 psi a lot of the problems you are having will go away. Keep up the good work.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 09:44:16 pm »
Thanks OCD. I agree with what you're saying about the compressor. Unfortunately the budget won't allow for an upgrade right now. I have heard others mention that the regulator on their small compressors didn't really work properly, and I wonder if mine is showing the same defect. I could have sworn that one time I inadvertently dialed it way up and it was spraying air at over 30psi. I would like to get one that can handle a larger spray gun for larger kits and a die grinder, too, but again the budget says not now.

The Raider is real close to done. I have modified the stand I got from FluxDimensions and just need to touch up one paint spot on the side with a brush, then gloss clear coat it so I can do a pin wash on the panel lines. After that a dull coat and some pastel chalks for some streaking and engine 'dirtying' and a final sealer coat and she'll be done. Sheesh, that seems like a lot still, doesn't it? :o
Dan

Offline OCD CREATIONS

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 06:09:18 pm »
As I begin to custom paint the big E I realize what you guys are going through . Back in the day I had 15 airbrushes set up at the same time,each with a different color, now I use one airbrush and clean between each color.what a drag!! I will adjust but I miss being able to move that fast. I have not had a lot of luck using masking tape on the bridge and bc decks, I think clear frisket paper will allow me to make better cuts as I will be able to see what I am doing.I am keeping a visual record of my progress and will share in the future

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 01:23:19 pm »
Do different brands of airbrushes spray at different pressures when using identical settings on the regulator? Assuming that the regulator on the compressor is functioning properly (probably not, but not relevant here), my Badger Patriot 105 will spray at 17-18psi. But when I switch to my cheap Master Brand G-22 it will spray at 23-25psi. Same hose, same compressor, same regulator setting. Also the needle sizes are the same, both 0.5mm. The only difference is that the hose fitting for the Badger is smaller than the Master Brand and requires an adapter to connect.
Dan

Offline OCD CREATIONS

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 04:18:02 am »
You might be losing some pressure due to the hose restrictions,I've only used Passahe and Iwata and they seem to operate about the same

Enterprise © Bloc