Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1:72 Tie Fighter Advanced by Bandai - Darth Vader's ride  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
1:72 Tie Fighter Advanced by Bandai - Darth Vader's ride
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:23:21 am »
It came to my attention about two months ago that IPMS region 10 was going to have a little convention in Denver. So I decided I would enter my Warbird just because, then I thought why not try to show two offerings instead. So for the last two weeks I have been working on a Bandai 1:72 Tie Fighter Advanced. I put other projects on hold as I work to get this guy done in time.

I scratch built some interior bits, put in some red lighting and fiber optics. I had the thrusters going to, but they unfortunately didn't work out so well, as I had to "bend" the fibers a bit and there isn't much room to work with this kit at all where lighting is concerned. It's super tiny!

Bandai did an amazing job with this kit, the detail is impressive for the scale, the seam lines are almost nonexistent, and short of my modifications, it snaps together almost perfectly enough for the Borg to be impressed.

Here is a link to all the things - http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Jimmypop57/slideshow/72%20scale%20Tie%20Fighter%20Advanced%20Bandai
Some build pics -

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:25:02 am by Jimmypop57 »
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
Re: 1:72 Tie Fighter Advanced by Bandai - Darth Vader's ride
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:25:13 am »
Brilliant start on this Jimmy, loving the detailed fibre optics!
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:35:45 am »
It's almost done. Once the cockpit went together the rest was smooth. I need to get the base fixed up, ran into some technical issues with it but nothing aves and some sanding can't fix. I have the wings almost masked off and ready for some pre-weathering and a light coat of Tamiya light ghost grey. Then I'll weather the whole ship, and another light coat of light ghost grey (has a nice "blueish" tint) before I seal it with a matt coat. I used canopy glue to fill in some of the seams on the top of the wing "arms" and that took care of what little seam there was. I have until Thursday to finish it up, and I'm pretty sure that is more time than I need  ;D

(then I can get back to my other projects sitting on the side LOL)
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline dannyk

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:50:17 am »
Nice work Jimmypop---you really crammed a lot of detail in such small space!  :)

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 11:18:58 am »
Thanks for the compliments. It's the tightest space I have worked on yet. I'm still amazed at the amount of detail Bandia was able to get into this kit at this scale. I can't wait to see if they up the ante to say a 1:48 scale at some point in the next few years. That and a 1:6 R2-D2 would be epic... but the crown achievement will be a Bandia star destroyer at least ERTL/MPC size with the level of detail they are known for. /drool  :P

Offline Kitguy3

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 06:16:52 pm »
Your interior work looks terrific!
Model long and prosper.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:15:15 am »
Got most of the assembly done, just touch up, front "canopy(?)"and base work to do now. Ran into a small issue where the wings connect to the arms due to the placement of the resistors for the LEDs powering the fiber optics. I need to take them off and trim down some of the plastic that connects them so they sit flush to the arms. Also have to admit that I need to learn A LOT more about weathering. Had more than a few failed attempts, and I'm still not happy with what I ended up with but it doesn't look bad so I'll take it.

I broke the wooden plaque I was going to use for a base, split a rather large chunk off when I was clearing space for the battery, but I used aves epoxy putty to "rebuild" it and it came out alright. I threw in a before pic just so you can see when I put up the fixed version, but the paint is still drying  :P

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:21:30 am by Jimmypop57 »

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:22:28 am »
Outstanding job!

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:38:57 am »
Great build Jimmypop! That had to be testy to get all the wiring in there. Awesome build!!!
Phil

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 10:51:20 am »
Thanks for the compliments! Yeah it's a really tight fit. Two 1.8mm LEDs in the arms, and the 1206 SMD LED inside the cockpit ball. Had to remove a bit of plastic on the inside for the LEDs and the fiber optics, which was the most difficult part. The small strands of .25 were easy on the sidewalls, they bend and still carry a lot of the light. The .50 I used for the thruster ports didn't make it. I'll just be dabbing some red paint into them, and a bit of tamiya clear black thinned out around the edges to look like carbon scoring (I hope LOL). Was also thinking about using the same thinned "smoke" and shooting some streaks from front to back very lightly with the air brush. Didn't turn out to badly when I did that on a 1:1000 D7, so I might try it here. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:53:23 am by Jimmypop57 »

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 11:04:25 am »
I'd go for the streaks too! What color are you doing on the base?
Phil

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:13:22 am »
I'm going to use the kit supplied base, painted black, then hit it with Tamiya primer grey so that the Tie Fighter and Base have contrasting greys. The plaque is a simi-gloss black. Still working out where to put the switch, but I'm leaning towards the back of the kit base, just a simple slide switch that is low profile. Then put a magnet into the wood to hold a 9v battery.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 11:48:04 am »
Impressive. Most impressive.

/darthvader

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:01:50 pm »
Really nice detail work Jimmy!!

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 04:43:53 pm »
Awesome job. I do not light my kits. You have taken this to a new level for the lighting. I am always amazed at the electronics you guys are able to do. This is ridiculous. Looks like I could fly it right now.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Enterprise © Bloc