Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reliant Nacelles Screw up.  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
Reliant Nacelles Screw up.
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:22:16 pm »
So I'm beginning to remember why I sopped working on models.   I'm pretty sloppy.   So on the reliant 1/537 scale I have cut out the nacelles for the blue translucent panels.  Well... There are some gaps between the plastic and the blue grills.     How do you use this putty stuff to fill that in and does the putty mess up the blue grills if it gets globed on there?

Hanging my head in shame....

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Reliant Nacelles Screw up.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:10:43 pm »
masking tape will be your friend. I used Zap-A-Gap on mine, and had mixed results, and A LOT of nasty upkeep work to clear the grills from the run off... Wouldn't recommend that route
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:31:06 pm »
So the plan would be to hot glue the blue parts in, mask them off, then the putty?   Is that correct?
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 10:56:58 pm »
That might work. Like I said my attempt used ca glue, and I wouldn't recommend that. I did have to do some small parts around the edges, but I already had the grill locked in. For that I masked the grill itself, and masked the model. This kept putty off the rest of the plastic, and let me get it where I wanted it. It was a very thin line, but something similar to this (this is not the grill mind you). Note how both sides of the kit part are masked, so the putty only goes where I want it to. Could try that

I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 10:10:52 am »
Ahh, yeah, that is a great idea.   I'll give that a shot.  I ordered the putty and it should be here this week.   

Thank you,
Shawn.

Offline NCC1966

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 10:17:46 am »
I know that it may be too late for the OP but it can be useful for others researching the forum.

Other solution would use epoxy transparent glue (two parts) and mix it together with acrylic blue paint. It will create a blue translucent glue that will blend with the transparent blue parts. Don't forget to carefully sand the nacelle holes first to make it straight before to glue parts in the places.

Another thing to consider is that if you do not have access to the third party blue inserts for the nacelles it shouldn't be a big concern. The white plastic is translucent enough to let the high bright blue LED's to be viewed. So the trick is to paint the whole nacelle inside with matte black BUT the grille itself (let it white inside). Then you paint the grille in a light blue outside for when lights will be turned off. When lights will be on, you will see a big blue glow from inside. I am going to do it in my build as I definitively won't pay $20 for a pair of small translucent blue plastic strips.

;)

All in all NEVER forget to paint your whole ship with matte black inside unless you have the intention that it looks like a lampshade whenever you turn their lights on in the dark.

:P
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:19:46 am by NCC1966 »

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:03 pm »
I saw Boyd do the blue light special after I bought my inserts.   They are a bit spendy but they help keep Don's Light and Magic in business and that's a good thing.  He has tons of extra parts.

Good point though on the grilles.

Shawn

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 06:54:56 am »
Another thing to consider is that if you do not have access to the third party blue inserts for the nacelles it shouldn't be a big concern. The white plastic is translucent enough to let the high bright blue LED's to be viewed. So the trick is to paint the whole nacelle inside with matte black BUT the grille itself (let it white inside). Then you paint the grille in a light blue outside for when lights will be turned off. When lights will be on, you will see a big blue glow from inside. I am going to do it in my build as I definitively won't pay $20 for a pair of small translucent blue plastic strips.

Sorry to necro a thread...

I'm glad to see this has been tried.  To me it was a logical way to tackle this issue.  I have seen many kit builds where the LEDs hot spot really bad and you can tell exactly where the lights are behind the grill, and to me that ruins the effect.  I saw where Boyd had this issue and ended up dusting the inside of the clear blue grill white and I thought hmm...  I'll try it without cutting the grill out.  It's nice to see my thinking is valid and this is something others have already done.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:59:33 am by whb64 »

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 10:47:30 am »
I know this is too late, but a few years ago I had this idea for lighting up the inner flux chillers without cutting away the section at all:

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=3137.msg43043#msg43043

This way, no cutting away of the section, and no ordering of an aftermarket part.
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 07:59:57 am »
That looks like a good solution.   

I hope to get back on my build at the end of summer.

Shawn

Enterprise © Bloc