Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit  (Read 11877 times)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit
« on: November 19, 2015, 03:05:41 pm »
So,  I'm not too far on this, but am having a blast.  Anyway,  I am chopping out the lights around the saucer, etc. and fitting 1.8mm LED's.   I haven't done any light blocking, or even washed off the parts.

I haven't worked on a model for around 40 years so here goes.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 03:15:48 pm »
Sorry my pictures are so huuuuge on this.   :o
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:11:50 pm »
These might look better.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:35:44 pm »
Shawn, is your kit one of the older releases? I see engraved sensor grid lines on the edges of the saucer, where as mine are smooth with no grid lines.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 08:26:32 pm »
Yeah, my brother gave this to me brand new I think n the mid ninetys.   I hadn't even opened it.

He finally gave up on me ever building it.   I'm glad I waited 20 years to take advantage of all those cool LED's.

Shawn

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »
Well,  I've found I have some issues and I'll get to that in a moment.   First off,  I drilled out the crystal and am going to put in a blue LED.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 04:53:57 pm »
Ok,  now for the issue.  This model is from like 1995 or somewhere in there.  An original AMT kit, and although that sounds really cool,  I'm finding out the hard way that the paragraphix stuff won't fit,  they are too big.    I didn't notice until I started chiseling down where the grills are going to go on the back of the saucer next to the shuttle bays.   As you can see
I really butchered the thing trying to make them fit.    I looked up pictures of another build on this forum and sure enough the grills fit perfectly in the polar lights kits.   There is no way that lounge area is going to work, nor the impulse engines.

I'm not sure what to do now.  Maybe buy an older AMT kit and replace the trashed parts, or just sell this kit as is, or what.   

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 08:24:59 am »
So after butchering the left side of the rear part of my ship I decided to start working on the right side and see if I could put a grille in that side.   

I started by cutting down the photo etch part from the original size to a smaller size as shown in the first photo.   

I then drilled out along the edge of the grille in the plastic, cut it apart, and made it smoother on the edges.  I tried fitting the grille along the way.    Not show is that I cut down the thickness of each side of the plastic so the grille would sit flush with the rest of the area.   I also flattened out the area where the photo etched triangle piece will go, although that needs to be flatter.

I glued in the grille and the last two pictures show the front and the back.

I'll take a shot this weekend on the other side of the rear panel and put that grille in over there.

Let me know what you think.

Offline QSquared

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:53 am »
Looking good so far. I never knew that the Paragraphix set would only work with the Round 2 re-issue of this kit. Based on your pics you seemed to have successfully adapted the photoetch to the original kit.
"Risk is part of the job if you want to sit in that chair...."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »
Thank you.  I was really bound and determined to get that thing in there.    I think more of the PE parts will fit better but we'll see.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 06:53:30 pm »
I wasn't aware of that about the Paragrafix photo etch either. But as QSquared said, it looks like you found a good workaround. Nice job!
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 11:11:25 pm »
Thank you Dan.  I still have the other side to do but it should work out too.   I had to carve the plastic really thin and it finally gave out, but I was able to glue it all back together and it is really solid and will be more so after I glue the back to the saucers.

Shawn

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 08:24:46 am »
Here is an update.

The rear is ready to be glued on and is. 

The upper and lower hull have been light blocked and painted white. 

I have enlarged the shuttle bay areas and glued in the shuttle bays.   That was some pretty intense carving as you all know.  I used a rounded file to round out the corners and they turned out pretty well.   Not much room for light to travel above and below the bay so we'll see how all that goes later.

I have more progress that I'll post later.

Thanks for looking.
Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 08:06:51 am »
Looking good so far!

Keep going and keep those pics coming!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 08:13:16 am »
Thank you Steve.  It's a real blast to work on this.

Enterprise © Bloc