Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST:TMP Drydock (WIP)  (Read 21021 times)

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
Re: ST:TMP Drydock (WIP)
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2018, 09:58:57 am »
Mark, Welcome back!

My condolences on your loss. My mom recently passed as well so I empathize.

I was thinking about your build recently and wondered how it fared. If I remember correctly, your E is a Northstar (DeBoer Hulls) Enterprise A Model, right?! This would make your drydock nothing less than MASSIVE!

Also, if my failing memory serves, you bought a track camera to re-create some of the TMP flyby sequences. Were you able to create any more?

I like your work and enjoy your updates, whenever you can post!

Steady on. We'll be here when you are ready.

Steve

Thanks Steve, yeh it takes the wind out of your sails for a time but, Life moves on.

Yes my build is from a DeBoers Kit. The Dock measures 57" length 29" width and 22" Height. The E is 46" in length. I based the dock on a blueprint I found from an old mini-model madness diagram plus the actual filming miniature. It's a pretty close replica not including the armature for the ship.

Between my second move in 2 years and my mom's passing, I haven't had time to set up any new camera shots, but when I do I will not only do a ST:TMP recreation, but my own version of the flyby. This will allow anyone to see different views of the dock that have never been seen before including the starboard side and the top of the Dock. Hang in there.... I will be getting to it.

And thanks for checking in on the updates, I do appreciate everyone who follows my threads. It's one of my personal joys in life to be building these models.

Stay tuned for more.

Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
www.NemVia.net

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2018, 08:47:09 pm »
Wow! I am so impressed by this build. Simply beautiful and so so well designed and constructed.

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2018, 09:11:08 pm »
Loving it!

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2018, 01:17:48 pm »
Wow! I am so impressed by this build. Simply beautiful and so so well designed and constructed.
Thanks Neil. I appreciate your comments.

Mark
www.NemVia.net

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2018, 01:19:02 pm »
Loving it!

Thanks My friend. Meeeee Toooo!

Mark
www.NemVia.net

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2018, 01:40:23 pm »
JULY UPDATES - 2018
Back on track for this month! I was able to Finish off the top of the display base by tacking down the Velvet material so that is now set. I can now prepare to add the trim and begin work on the lighting controls. In This month's update I have made some lighting test shots of the light panels and mark lighting. But first I had to square off the frame of the drydock. This needed to be done because the added weight of the Enterprise was causing one side of the dock to sag. So I had to level off the top of the dock by adding a cable and a turnbuckle to help even things out. This also allowed me to make the side panels square with the rest of the dock.. Next I have to do some tweaking of the individual panels to make sure they are all straight. I am now running all of the ships wiring down the back of the support frame to the switch board which will control certain lighting effects on both the ship and the dock. The new pics are posted on the July Updates - 2018 page. For now you can use the pull down menu to the right of the menu bar and the page is at the bottom. The lighting test shots came out pretty good. Check 'em out and I'll see you on the next update.
Mark
Home
http://www.NemVia.net

www.NemVia.net

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2018, 04:02:43 pm »
This is simply beautiful!

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2018, 07:17:22 pm »
AUGUST UPDATES - 2018
Wiring, Wiring, WIRING!  Yes, that's pretty much all that I've been doing this last month. Wiring and double checking the circuits to make sure they're working. I've had to do this because there were so many loose wired from both the Enterprise and the Dock that I needed to start getting these out of the way so I can do more wiring and lighting. Really there are only a few more effects that need to be added and then I can start working on the display stand switches and trim work. Besides the wiring I've sealed the open hanger on the aft end of the dock. The ceiling is now permenetly cemented to the structure. I will be adding a mirror to the back end of the hanger to give the appearance that the Hanger goes much farther back into the modules than it actually does. She's coming together. Please hang in there. See you next month.
Mark

https://www.nemvia.net/apps/photos/photo?photoid=205240915
www.NemVia.net

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2018, 03:22:41 am »
You definitely have too much free time!

Freakin' awesome.
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2018, 01:16:02 pm »
Very impressive work you've done here Mark....  Where the heck are you going to store something this big?   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2018, 04:40:29 am »
You definitely have too much free time!

Freakin' awesome.
Oh.... if only I had the time you speak of. This model would have been finished a couple of years ago.

www.NemVia.net

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2018, 04:42:39 am »
Very impressive work you've done here Mark....  Where the heck are you going to store something this big?   :b

Welllllll..
www.NemVia.net

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2018, 07:41:27 pm »
Love this more and more! One question: can you talk a bit more about the mirror you want to add? I'm intrigued but confused as to how you will use it. Thanks!

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2018, 04:49:30 am »
Love this more and more! One question: can you talk a bit more about the mirror you want to add? I'm intrigued but confused as to how you will use it. Thanks!

Sure! No problem. The small hanger bay with all the little shuttles in it has an unfinished rear wall. I was going to put a detailed wall there to finish  it off however, I wanted the bay to look larger than it is. Due to the support rod hold the dock up I was only able to build so much of the hanger. When you look at the actual size of the drydock overhead modules you kind of wonder what else could be inside these massive structures? So in order to give the hanger even more depth or at least appear to, I'm putting a small mirror at the back end of the hanger  and angle it in such away that when you look inside the hanger from the entry point it appear larger than it is. This is a technique that movie makers use in such movies like Titanic where they only built 2 and a half boilers in the engine room then put a mirror at the back of the set to make the engine room appear much larger when filmed from certain angles. This also cuts down on the cost of building the sets. Same here with this model. I will make a before and after photo comparison when I get the mirrors in place. But I hope this explains the technique a bit for you.
Mark
www.NemVia.net

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2018, 07:35:30 pm »
Got it! Thanks! That sounds like it's gonna be fantastic!

Enterprise © Bloc