Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit  (Read 11789 times)

Offline QSquared

• Lieutenant
Re: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 06:46:47 pm »
Looking good Shawn! Very nice work on the shuttle bays!
"Risk is part of the job if you want to sit in that chair...."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 08:02:29 am »
Thank you sir.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 08:31:37 am »
Okay, Shawn, a quick question...

Once you have placed the metal pieces, do you mask them off before you paint or what?!  ???

I haven't used them before and am curious about what your plans for them are - as far a painting.

Thanks and please keep the build going! I am learning alot!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 08:43:00 am »
Hi Steve,

Well, this is the first time I've been using the ParaGrafix and I had exactly the same question.  They are not intended to stay as the metal as they are (they are actually brass), you prime and paint them.  From what I understand you can prime them with the same primer that the rest of the model has for the plastic.  Some people however prime them with a specialized primer but I'm not going to do that with mine.  You would want to give them a little sanding before removing them from the brass plate they are hooked so the primer and paint sticks better.   This is a delicate process since some of these parts can easily be bent out of shape.

You would want to use adhesion promoter before the primer with all plastic that is on the outside of the model as well as the brass pieces.

They have tons of kits for different models.  http://www.paragrafix.biz/
Look under the PhotoEtch selection on the left panel of the page.  Great stuff and really sets your model apart.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 03:11:17 am »
I like what you've done Shawn. You can anneal the photo etch by placing fret on a HOT stove burner for 10-15 seconds, then, with tweezers, immediately dip in cool water. This makes the photo etch more pliable and
minimizes breakage on sharp bends. Your tackling a difficult build and looks like you've got it down. ;)
Phil

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 08:26:08 am »
Thank you Phil.  It's a lot of fun getting back into the hobby.   I'm a bit nervous about the painting but I'll see how it goes.  I've never painted a model or used an airbrush before.   I think I'll do some practicing before. 

Shawn

Offline Kuce

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 07:04:55 pm »
She's looking good and I'm anxious to see more.  I'm impressed with how you handled the curve balls this one threw at you.

Joe

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 08:01:43 pm »
Thank you Joe.  It has some challenges for sure.   Those Aztecs are going to look awesome on there.

Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 08:06:09 am »
Shawn,

Thanks for the insight on the ParaGrafix and their use!

Your build looks awesome!

Are you going to use a pattern of some sort to achieve the Aztecing or are you going to "eyeball it"?

As far as using an airbrush, I didn't have one and didn't know how to use it! Fortunately, there are many YouTube videos of the experts demonstrating it use. Unfortunately, I can't find the URL this minute. I'll get back to you on that! But after watching several of them, I feel competent!

Keep going! I really want to see this one completed!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 08:12:31 am »
Hi Steve,

I'm going to be using the aztec decals so that should make it look pretty good.  I have seen some of the videos on how to use an airbrush.  I think what that takes is tons of practice.  I am a big nervous about it, but the group has told me over and over that nothing is trash and anything can be fixed.  If I can't get the airbrushing to look good I'll just keep practicing until it does look good.

I'm really having a blast building models again.

Shawn

DaveMondo

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 09:22:03 am »
Looking really nice! I have a 1/537 Reliant sitting on my speaker in the back. Sadly, it's a bit of a hack job as I dove in before doing any research at all. I figured, hey I built a few models as a kid how hard can it be?  ;D

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this, the Reliant is my all time favourite ship design.

DaveMondo

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 09:26:47 am »
Thank you Dave.   I'm trying to do the same stuff that Nkalto did to his Reliant.  I hope mine turns out half as good as his did.  I have made more progress but need to post the pictures.

You should look into bringing yours back to life Dave.

Shawn

DaveMondo

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:12 am »
Yeah not sure it's possible to resurrect it.  :'(
I sealed it with 2 coats of clear and the decals are used up. Man those decals where a nightmare. Almost every single one fell apart in multiple pieces when I put them in the water. I didn't even touch them and the little red lines basically disintegrated. I salvaged what I could at the time, but let's just say my Reliant is best viewed from at least 6 feet away. While squinting.

If I ever want to get a Reliant going again, I expect I'll just buy a new kit. Plus then I could use the current to make a "post battle" version.

DaveMondo

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 01:43:52 pm »
Post battle would be cool for sure Dave

Here is some more progress, this time the nacelles.

I taped the nacelles where the raytheon effect will take place, light blocked the nacelles, then pulled off the tape.   

The next thing is I glued in the blue parts on the nacelles.  I secured them in with hot glue (not shown).

I did a test run with some single density LED's on the blue strip.  I diffused it with paper towel.  I have heard of this method and it worked well.   The light leaks in the blue area are filled in better than shown.

I fitted the nacelles with 5mm bulbs that I sanded down to diffuse the light.

Nkaltso inspired me to put the Fiber optics so I did that as well.  That was a close fit on the drill bit into the fin, but it worked.

I also drilled out the two holes at the fronts of the nacelles.

So what does everybody think about the paper towel as a blocker?  It sounds kind of half baked to me, but really worked out great.

Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 03:48:52 pm »
Shawn,

Looking great! Looking at your pics of lighting I know I have ALOT to learn before I attempt a lighted model build!

Press on!

Awesome!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc