Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit  (Read 9727 times)

DaveMondo

Re: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 05:22:11 pm »
Lighting is a complete mystery to me right now too. Watching.......:)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »
Thank you fellas.  It's actually going well on the lighting, although I haven't soldered it all together yet so we'll see.  Haha

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline QSquared

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 11:04:04 pm »
Very nice work with the lighting Shawn! The fiber optics are also a very nice additional touch. I am curious about this "paper towel" method of which you speak.

Keep after it! Looking forward to seeing the build progress!
"Risk is part of the job if you want to sit in that chair...."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 08:08:35 am »
Shawn, I love the lighting work you are doing and it is helping me work up the courage to do a lighted build!

About the paper towel...
I diffused it with paper towel.  I have heard of this method and it worked well.  So what does everybody think about the paper towel as a blocker?  It sounds kind of half baked to me, but really worked out great.

This is from being a noob, but why paper? Because of the weight concerns? Very curious about the technique!

Keep going! This is a nice build!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 08:54:26 am »
I learned about the paper towel thing from Wally at Star fleet model academy (http://starfleetmodelacademy.com/) when he was working on his 1/350 refit build.  It seemed like a strange idea, but it really works.  The picture that I posted is actually with some different LED tape, so the next round will be a bit less light blue in color.

Anyway, that's where I saw the method and I think it works really well.  I suppose there are other methods out there, but this was available and I thought I would try it.   Hopefully there are no long term problems with this method.

I'm new at this stuff too but am having a blast.

I'm still learning about the wiring part too, but have discovered that ground is common, so if you  have three lights or something, instead of having 6 wires, you can bring it down to 2 wires coming out if they are wired in Parallel so the amount of wires is reduced and if one bulb burns out, the others stay lit.   There are you tube videos out there about it.   You just have to kind of think it through and experiment, but I'm finally starting to catch on with help from the folks on this group.

Anyway, thanks fellas.
Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 12:27:42 pm »
Looking good Shawn.

But I'll be damned if I can find any reference to paper towels on the link you gave. Do you just place some across the lights you want to diffuse?
Iain

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 12:34:17 pm »
Thank you Iain.   Here is a picture of the paper towel. 

I basically cut them to size to fit over the blue grilles and glued the paper towels right over the grilles to keep them as far away from the LED's as possible.  They are hugging the blue grilles tightly however, they are just sort of floating on them.  Anyway, the paper towels are hot glued in.

Shawn

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »
Gotcha mate!

Thanks for that Shawn. That wee tip is definately going to be handy in an upcoming build.

I owe you a pint.
Iain

Offline KRK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 04:17:34 pm »
Looks very Good, Well Done!

KRK

Offline Kuce

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »
Cotton works well as well as lightly sanding the LED's or putting in pretty much any  translucent material like styrene. 

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 04:55:23 pm »
Thanks fellas.   I was skeptical about the paper towel too, but what the heck.  It's pretty much free so I gave it a try.  I can see using cotton or styrene too.

Shawn

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 08:54:02 am »
Roll bar progress.

So I followed Nkaltso's lead and did some fiber optic bending for the lights that will be below the roll bar.

There is going to be a 3mm red LED for the under lights.

Shawn

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2016, 09:03:29 am »
I have decided to make my own photon firing system.  What I did was put in a piece of spru holding up some 3mm LED'S.   I hot glued on some FO and pushed them through the front and back of the photon bays.  One LED will fire the front AND the back of the port side, then the other LED will fire front and back of the starboard side.  Sure, they light up the front and back at the same time, but you can only see the front OR the back at any one time so that should work out pretty well.  I'm going to get a board made from Boyd at some point with the photon firing sound.  That's my hope anyway.

I tried my first try with the airbrush on the photon areas.  It turned ok, but I seemed to have worked off some of the paint, so who knows.  I might touch that up, but maybe not.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2016, 07:51:14 am »
She's looking great, Shawn!

Keep 'er going, Shawn! Keep 'er going!

Steve 8)
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 07:54:30 am »
Thanks Steve.

I suppose the next step is to start painting the hull.... ugh. 

Shawn

Enterprise © Bloc