Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit  (Read 9730 times)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:34 am »
Haha,  no problem Steve.

The foil must have no backing so it would short stuff out.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2016, 08:37:17 am »
I use Bare-Metal foil. It comes with adhesive on it, but you can use regular foil with an adhesive applied. BMF is VERY thin and a little pricy, so weigh your options.
Kuce pointed out correctly that you need to watch out for shorting out your electrical work on the foil. I use shrink tubing to cover both LED leads and connections so it can't touch the foil, or each other.

Applying hot glue or silicon will also prevent shorting out. The main advantage is once applied, light blocking is 100%. Again, weigh your options.
Phil

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:56 am »
Thanks Phil, I had seen pictures of this application.  I know some guys use just regular electrical tape too.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37:09 am »
So here is the current update.

I'm working on the bridge lights and have yet to do the side lights, but anyway.  So I made a bracket out of styrene to place an SMD on.  I taped in the bracket to see how it fits. I then glued on a bracket so I could "tune" the SMD bracket.  I kept trimming back the styrene on each side of the bridge that I had added earlier.  After I tuned in the SMD I put glue on the bracket and held it in place, then zapped it.  I then added model glue to really hold it in place, then cut off the bottom tuning arm.  I had placed the SMD so that if you look at the ship from the front the light won't blind you.

Next I cut back a bit more of the styrene that I had attached to the bottom of the bridge, glued on some very small red SMD's to some styrene, and glued those in place.  Now keep in mind that the bridge is not attached so there are a ton of light leaks, also, when the big SMD is one it is hard to kind of see the red SMD's, so the last picture shows just the two SMD's.  In person the combination looks pretty cool.

Shawn

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2016, 05:34:57 pm »
Looks like your nailing this Shawn. Love the effects! 8)
Phil

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »
Thank you Phil.  This is great fun.

Offline Kuce

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 03:29:25 pm »
looking good

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 03:36:44 pm »
Thank you Joe.  Everything is grinding to a halt until I learn how to use an airbrush. 

Shawn

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 04:30:05 pm »
Doing a great job with this build Shawn. The registry spotlight looks right on target.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 06:28:53 pm »
Thank you  Phil.   I get to work on it tonight. 

Shawn.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:55 pm »
Sheesh.  I mean thank you DAN, not Phil.  Sorry about that.

Shawn

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »
Sheesh.  I mean thank you DAN, not Phil.  Sorry about that.

Shawn

LOL-quite alright Shawn. As long as Phil's not offended it's all good, Right Phil? ;)
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 07:21:52 am »
Shawn,

It looks like you solved your light blocking problem. Well done! Did you end up using the foil or just paint or a combo of both?

Looking good!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2016, 07:43:57 am »
Thank you Steve.  Well,  I repainted the worst part, but then I used that tulip stuff that people on here use.  It's a paint that is in the crafts department of Walmart, but it doesn't really dry all that great so I have heard to use it only on the inside of the model.  If you use it outside it will dry, but will always be kind of spongy since it's made for fabric and is designed to flex.  Since the inside of the model never gets touched it doesn't matter how spongy it gets.  It's a really quick, cheap light block that you can just dispense right of the bottle.

Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2016, 10:12:15 am »
Fabric paint?! Really?! :o

huh. I guess you use whatever it takes to make it work!

Cool thinking outside the box!  ;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc