Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit  (Read 10472 times)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: My Reliant 1/537 AMT kit
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2016, 10:26:54 am »
Ha.  Keep in mind that I don't come up with any of this stuff.  I study tons and tons and tons of videos spanning from "Trekworks" to the "Angry Sci Fi Modeler" guy and just apply what they did.   "I stand on the shoulders of Giants" as the saying goes.

Anyway,  thanks as always for looking and commenting Steve.  I'm gearing up to start painting now that I'm starting to figure out the whole airbrush thing.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

DaveMondo

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2016, 08:03:37 pm »
Ha.  Keep in mind that I don't come up with any of this stuff.  I study tons and tons and tons of videos spanning from "Trekworks" to the "Angry Sci Fi Modeler" guy and just apply what they did.   "I stand on the shoulders of Giants" as the saying goes.

Anyway,  thanks as always for looking and commenting Steve.  I'm gearing up to start painting now that I'm starting to figure out the whole airbrush thing.

Shawn

Hey Shawn,

Great looking job so far. Makes me want to take another stab at this kit one day.

Also I must know more about this "Angry Sci Fi Modeler guy". I searched YouTube and whatnot and can't find anything...? Interest piqued lol

Dave

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 09:04:59 pm »

Shawn

Hey Shawn,

Great looking job so far. Makes me want to take another stab at this kit one day.

Also I must know more about this "Angry Sci Fi Modeler guy". I searched YouTube and whatnot and can't find anything...? Interest piqued lol

Dave
Dave, I happen to be a subscriber to the AngrySciFiModeler. Here's the link to his You Tube channel. Fair warning, if you are offended by off-color language, brace yourself. He's entertaining, but the censors would wear out their beeper on him.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUVVMVkBtZX1HS0YSWQ97A
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 10:25:47 pm »
Thanks Dave.  Angry model guy is a riot!   His builds are really amazing too.  Very entertaining to listen to for sure.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

DaveMondo

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2016, 09:01:07 am »
Cool thanks guys! Will check it out. I'm really hoping he yells at his models like I do when I building...  ;D

Dave

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:44 am »
He basically says what all of us are thinking.  It's a riot really. 

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2016, 01:13:17 pm »
Alright, Shawn, you have kept me waiting long enough!

Where are the updates?  ;)

How goes the build?

Ever inquisitive...

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2016, 02:40:27 pm »
Glad you asked Steve. 

Well, I've been working on painting the beast and had a really tough time figuring out the airbrush and finally went to a spray gun on my compressor.  In fact, I was so frustrated by the whole thing I was about the throw the whole hobby in the trash, but remembering wise words I've read on this forum "Put it down for a while and come back to it later".   That really kept me motivated.

Anyway, on to the build.  Haven't had time to do too much.  I worked on the grill lighting.

The first thing I did was cut out a piece of styrene I could put the light into.  I then cut out some of a plastic milk carton the size of the grille and put it in place. I painted the syrene, drilled a hole in it and put in an orange LED.

Now last night I was working on the rest of the lighting so the grills don't look all that clean anymore because I had to do a better job of light blocking on the navigation light below the grill.

Anyway, thanks for asking Steve.

Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2016, 10:06:12 pm »
Despite your set backs with the air brush, Shawn, it still looks like you didn't throw the hobby in the bin!

Galaxy Quest could be my all time favorite movie because of their motto "Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"

Take a break and come at it with fresh eyes knowing that other are excited to see your success!

Plus, it helps to be a little Klingon toward your build; "It is a battle that must be won for the sake of honor!"

It's looking good! Love how you limited the orange lights!

Steve
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:07:57 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2016, 02:14:23 am »
Steve is right! Don't EVER forget those words Shawn! Better to come back later with a fresher, more patient mind than the way you had to leave for a bit. I've almost threw a couple against the wall.

It took me a bit to get use to the airbrush. I think the reason I waited so long to try was mostly stubbornness on my part and when I began to see the results of other builders finishes (impossible with rattle cans) I started to realize I need to expand my technics to get the look I wanted. My first use of an airbrush is documented in the non scifi model section toward the bottom of the home page. 1/32nd scale corsair build. It's not a museum piece by any means, but I'm happy with it and glad I didn't give up. 

Question: Did you cut out the tiny lighting slits around the shuttle bay covers?
Phil

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2016, 07:47:09 am »
Thank you for the encouraging words fellas.   I did, and do get frustrated, but it can all be fixed in one way or another.  Look at Steve's White Whale.  Talk about patience with that model. 

I was going to use the "other" saying in Galaxy Quest, "By Grabthars hammer", only it would have been just a claw hammer as I smash the model to bits.  Hahahaha.  Just kidding....mostly.

Thanks for the compliment on the orange lights.  I think that should look pretty cool back in those grills.

Anyway, those are paragraphix shuttle bays Phil.  They actually came that way.   I would have said that I could cut that straight of a line though.  Hahaha.   I'm pretty clumsy with an exacto knife.

We're all in this together fellas.

Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2016, 10:10:53 am »
We're definitely in this together! :D

Thanks for the props! I will get the Whale done and you will see the Reliant complete!

Galaxy Quest to Gimli "Keep breathing! That's the key! Keep breathing!"  8)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2016, 10:14:47 am »
Hahaha.  "I see you managed to lose your shirt"

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2016, 09:32:29 pm »
WOW! You are my kind of people!

I infected my kids with using movie quotes from Scifi movies whenever possible and this is our favorite quote! Awesome!

I was looking over your build and was wondering if you are going to light the hanger decks on this thing as well? I kinda remember them being lit in the film.

Either way, I am looking forward to seeing this completed!

Keep going!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2016, 10:24:37 pm »
Hahaha on the quotes Steve.  My family does that all the time too.

Anyway, yeah, the shuttle bays will have ambient light from all those led strips I installed.

Thanks for asking.

Shawn

Enterprise © Bloc