Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MPC Ertl Millennium Falcon Cutaway  (Read 5282 times)

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
MPC Ertl Millennium Falcon Cutaway
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:18:18 pm »
Hello All!  I've just started a new kit that was donated to me by our very own SpacePirate.  Take a bow, Chris!

It's a Millennium Falcon cutaway model.  I've decided to give it the old college try to make it look like something neat.  So far, the plans are to paint up the interior as best I can, light the engines, consoles, cockpit, etc, and make it cool.  I'm not out to make this an accurate show model, I'm just going to build it pretty much out of the box with some nice lighting to make it come to life.

The first piece to do is of course to paint the interior.  This is a pretty huge job, as all of the pieces are molded into one part.  Yuck.  It's a lot of practice in brush painting that I haven't done in quite awhile.  So far, it's turning out pretty nice.  The idea is to use a darker base color and then to paint all the parts lighter to get them to pop more.  Once they're all painted pretty, we'll make them not pretty through weathering.  After all, the Falcon should look pretty well used. :)

I hope I can do this justice!

The Box!

The ship! (with tape!)

Progress!

Let me know what you guys think.  As I progress on her, I'll update the thread.  I'm also finishing my 537 Refit (yes, I'm still working on it) as well as a few other projects, so updates won't be hugely quick, but they shouldn't be too slow either.
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
Re: MPC Ertl Millennium Falcon Cutaway
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 09:19:14 pm »
You might want to search on YouTube for millennium falcon model.
There I guy that did a spectacular job on this kit.
Might give you some ideas.
Matt

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:16:31 pm »
@MStowell: Yeah, Michael Maupin (aka: Helipilot27) did an amazing build of this Falcon that I'm probably going to reference a whole bunch.

I've painted more of the cutaway section.  This is semi-slow going, but we'll get there.  I have to paint the entire cutaway section before I start lightning it.  So far, it's looking neat!

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:17:01 pm »
I have this kit in a stash as well.
Will get to it at some point.
Yours looks good so far.
Matt

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 10:22:49 pm »
This is gonna be good Matt! And tons of greeblies too!  8)
For the fun of building art.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:34:52 pm »
Thanks, Adam!  Yeah, so far it's more fun than I expected.  It's a lot of work, but worth it in the end, I think.

Here's more progress on the interior.  The idea is to paint the whole thing up, then add lighting.  the paintwork is taking ages, but the results are pretty good!

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:54:07 am »
More progress on the interior has been made.  The back wall has been painted.  Once this interior is all painted up, weathering will commence.  And then... Fiber!

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 08:57:32 am »
That looks awesome!
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:31:52 pm »
That looks awesome!

Thanks!  I'm watching your Reliant as well.  SciFi modeling is awesome! :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »
Very nice detail work!!! If its not done and looks this good, the final product will be awesome!!

Keep going!!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 08:01:25 pm »
Very good start! That's the first model kit I bought... Still in the box after realizing the huge amount of work it needs if you decide to change the sidewalls :D Too much for a newbie!

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  It's actually very relaxing to paint it.  You can't airbrush it, as everything is molded together, and there really aren't any 'correct' paints, as most of the walls were never seen.  You can basically just go to town and paint it how you want.  I'm just trying to make it look good.  Once it's weathered, it should really pop to life.

Also, you can't really change the sidewalls on this kit, as it would change the interior volume and the cutaway portion would no longer fit properly.  I'm just building this one straight out of the box (with some lighting, I think).

I'll post more as I go.  Tonight I painted one of the tunnels and one side of one of the walls.  Once I paint the other side, I'll post photos. :)

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:37 pm »
More detail on the interior.  I've also glued the tunnel together.  Putty/sanding will commence on it shortly. :)

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 07:48:16 am »
I have this in the stash. I am really enjoying your build. I hope to do as good a job as you. Excellent job. Can not wait to see the final product. Keep it up.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 08:32:56 am »
Lookin good in Hollywood!
Phil

Enterprise © Bloc