Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MPC Ertl Millennium Falcon Cutaway  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Mitch61

• Ensign
Re: MPC Ertl Millennium Falcon Cutaway
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 04:37:49 am »
Looks great... Built mine years ago... Long build... Looking back I might too bright and new... It shouldve been old and weathered.. :-)

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:45 am »
Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

No worries, this one will look old and weathered.  I'm going to be experimenting with oil paints.  I'd like to use this as my test bed for my Fine Molds falcon before I dive into that one. 

I've since completed painting one more wall, plus I've primed the lower hull.  It's beginning to take shape pretty rapidly now.  I'm to the point of needing to order fiber optic materials.  Lighting will commence!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline Mitch61

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:31 pm »
More detail on the interior.  I've also glued the tunnel together.  Putty/sanding will commence on it shortly. :)

A pic of my MF... as I mentioned, a bit too blingy.. Happy with the hull exterior. Satin white, black wash, then some dry brushing.. then a satin sealer.. Figures were given to me from a nice bloke off the model newsgroup back 10 yeras ago..

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 09:03:26 pm »
What a cool build

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »
@Mitch61: I kinda dig the bling!  Looks good to me!

@nkaltso: Thanks!!  The kit is really low end, but it's kinda fun to make something out of it.  I'm liking the way it's turning out. :)

As for the Falcon, I've detail painted some more parts and primed the top and bottom hull.  I'm almost done detailing the interior.  I'll have to start digging up some weathering paints soon.  But first... fiber!

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:26 pm »
Looks really good! Tempted to start mine :P

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:29 pm »
Looks Fantastic. I've tried to get me one of these twice now but the price got too
scary for me. Would love to find one.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:18 pm »
@Sergio:  Thanks!  You'll get really good at hand painting parts if you start this one. :)

@Tankton:  Thank you!  Don't pay too much for the kit, as it really isn't the greatest quality.  The cockpit will need replacement parts for the interior at least.  Also, everything is molded together requiring a steady hand and lots of brush painting.  Part of the fun of it is to make it look good in spite of the shortcomings.  I'm hoping it turns out really good when it's done.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :D

Offline Mitch61

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 12:14:44 am »
@Sergio:  Thanks!  You'll get really good at hand painting parts if you start this one. :)

@Tankton:  Thank you!  Don't pay too much for the kit, as it really isn't the greatest quality.  The cockpit will need replacement parts for the interior at least.  Also, everything is molded together requiring a steady hand and lots of brush painting.  Part of the fun of it is to make it look good in spite of the shortcomings.  I'm hoping it turns out really good when it's done.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :D

I recall there being a resin kit to detail the side exterior walls... pretty expensive IIRC... I downloaded the blue engine and the back of the cockpit off the web.. Printed them on overhead projector film and backlit them. I also wanted it to look like the whole MF and be able remove the cover to show the cutaway.  So I photocopied the cutouts that don't fit if the cutaway innards are assembled and glued them in. Makes a nice surprise. Made my own stand that's aluminium base and rock solid.

I used bulbs on veroboard for the engine.. that's how old it is..

Have fun..

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »
There is a detail kit for the sidewalls, but with the cutaway it might lower the ceiling too far.  I decided to just build this one up stock in order to eliminate that.

Stock, that is until I saw the silly excuse they had for a cockpit interior.  That'll have to change, because... yarf.

I'll be lighting the sublight engines using LED tape and all the consoles using .25 fiber optics.  I still have to order the fiber optics, but I should be able to fix that later in the week.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 06:58:41 pm »
Shapeways has an excellent interior for the cockpit.
I used it on my MPC Falcon which is the same scale as this kit.
If I win the bid for the cutaway I found on Ebay I'm going
to get another from Shapeways.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 11:25:12 pm »
I've heard good things about the ShapeWays kit.  I've also been looking at the falconkits resin parts too.  I'm sure I'll use one of them, as the kit parts are laughable.

I started lighting the engines tonight.  I also painted up the other corridor.  I'm down to only a few bits in the interior to detail paint.  It's coming along!

Offline Mitch61

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:30 am »
Mate... That is awesome..

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 07:51:23 am »
Looking really good Matt. Your hand painted interior looks great! It's not easy to do and still look good. 8)
Phil

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 08:13:21 am »
Thanks, guys!  I'm hoping to make this thing look great!

Enterprise © Bloc