Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint for the 1/537 Reliant.  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
Paint for the 1/537 Reliant.
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:37:02 am »
Hi guys,

So, I'm to the Point of painting my Reliant.    I plan to use an airbrush for this.  Can anyone tell me the formula and approximate amounts of which colors to use for the main color?   That is to say, starting off with regular white, add two drops of black, and 3 drops of blue.... Or something along those lines.

I also need to know now much paint is going to be needed to finish the whole model and have some to spare.

Thanks Guys.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
Re: Paint for the 1/537 Reliant.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:01:28 am »
What I usually do with my starfleet ships is hit them with white primer, then a coat of pearl white from Tamiya.  Once the decals are laid on top of this, it gives it that shimmering effect that you get from the films. 
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:22:05 am »
That sounds pretty sweet.  I'll look into the pearl paint. 

Thank you,
Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:23:22 pm »
it's really hard to capture the look with a digital camera, but you sorta get the idea...

Here's my latest 1:1000 Refit and 1:1000 Reliant using primer/pearl white + round2 decals.  In reality, whenever the light hits them right you get that pearl look.  It works nice!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:25:46 pm by MattA »
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:30:15 pm »
Wow,  those look awesome.

Shawn

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:31:01 pm »
Hey Shawn, your moving along very well on this. You may be aware of this already, but I'll mention it just in case. You should make sure to use adhesion promoter before you apply your primer coat. This will help the primer 'stick' to the plastic and also help to prevent paint peel when you mask to do your secondary colors like the shuttle bay trenches, etc. I do like MattA's suggestion of the white primer. I wish I had thought of that before using the gray primer. The white primer will save layers of paint used to cover up the gray underneath

Most here use the Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter, which you can find at just about any auto store like O'Reilly's, Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. The Tamiya Pearl is a rattle can and you should be able to get it at a hobby shop if they sell the other Tamiya paints. Same with the Tamiya White primer if you use that.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »
Thanks Dan.  I actually bought the promoter a few weeks ago but need to get the white primer, which is a great idea.

My plan is to mix my own paint and airbrush the model.  I've never used an airbrush before.  I guess it would be the equivalent to jumping in a flying jet and trying to land it with now lessons.   Hopefully the result won't be quite so painful. 

I'm pretty sure I can do this.  I've just been stalling doing the other little stuff until I get my nerve up enough to take the painting on.  I'm kinda running out of smaller stuff to do at this point.  The painting is sort of the next step unless I want to spend my time masking off LED's.

Shawn

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 07:07:11 pm »
Dive into the airbrush Shawn! I just started last year after 40 plus yrs. without. It's a game changer bro.
Phil

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 08:18:29 pm »
As a relatively new airbrush user I can say have lots of patience, test your psi and paint mixtures on some spare parts first, and don't get too frustrated if you muck up and have to strip something and repaint. Maybe it's just me but it took me two kits to figure out the correct parameters for getting a smooth coat for primers, paints, and varnishes.
-Dave

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 09:14:06 pm »
Thanks fellas.  I'm trying it for the first time tonight.  Very tricky process for sure.  Not sure I'm liking it at this point.

If I used solvent based paint, like automotive paint, can it be stored in tupperware, or will it eat that kind of plastic?

Also,  I was having splattering issues, but I reduced the psi down to 20 and it seems to be working better now. 

Shawn

Offline NCC1966

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:05:00 am »
Thanks fellas.  I'm trying it for the first time tonight.  Very tricky process for sure.  Not sure I'm liking it at this point.

If I used solvent based paint, like automotive paint, can it be stored in tupperware, or will it eat that kind of plastic?

Also,  I was having splattering issues, but I reduced the psi down to 20 and it seems to be working better now. 

Shawn

A bit late but since no one has answered... Automotive thinner is extremely aggressive and will attack the weak plastic of food containers. Better is to store it in glass jars or tin cans. I am not saying that such paint cannot be stored on plastic cans, only that the general use stuff is not appropriated for this finality.

On a side note, personally I don't save prepared paint for reuse (I use enamels) because usually when I try to use them months later they got thick/kind of rubberized and a second time thinning usually doesn't works for me. Since it's not rare that I have clogging issues with my airbrush I prefer not to play with it.

Anyway, normally I prefer to dispose not used paint and when I need to repeat a similar project I prepare a brand new mixture.

:)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 10:32:14 am »
Good advice.  Thanks 1966.   I'm still a few months out from working on the ships anyway.

Shawn

Enterprise © Bloc