Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: B-Wing in progress.  (Read 2506 times)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
B-Wing in progress.
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:10:40 pm »
Well, I started building a B-Wing.  I'm not sure where to go next though. 

I built and painted the command pod first. 

The other parts I coated with primer.  I figured I'd be able to assemble them, putty the edges, mask the command pod, and then put the base coat on the main ship.  That looks like it may not be possible.

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
Re: B-Wing in progress.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 03:44:48 am »
Great start here, I have one of these kits along with an A-Wing I hope to start soon, so I will be looking at your log with interest
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline Little Fox Studio

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:56:58 am »
What kit is this?
"Fate protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:21 am »
What kit is this?
It's the AMT kit.  Not sure what the scale is.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 04:48:11 am »
Just managed to nab one of these on the Bay of Evil so watching this build closely for any ideas/pointers.
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:30 am »
I have seen the scale listed as 1/50, but the pilot size would tell me closer to 1/72. 

How is the fit of the canopy?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 04:35:33 pm »
I have seen the scale listed as 1/50, but the pilot size would tell me closer to 1/72. 

How is the fit of the canopy?

Yes, 1/50 doesn't quite seem right.  The model is about the size of one wing of my 1:48 scale P-38J. 

Wookieepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A/SF-01_B-wing_starfighter) lists the B-wing size at 16.9 meters.  Compared to the 15.8 meter wingspan of a P38J, that would make the B-Wing rather tiny  :o .  Nevertheless, the wookipedia numbers would put the scale at roughly 1/100.

I haven't removed the canopy from the sprue yet.  To minimize the risk of overspray on the canopy, I plan to make it the very last part I attach.

Usually I would prefer to put my base coat on after a main assembly is done, but it looks like the best plan is to paint the parts before assembly. 

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:37:42 pm by starsiegeplayer »

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:30 pm »
Following, and looking forward to this one

Nick

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:55:27 pm »
Cemented the main wing together. 

There is a problem with the collar that holds the command pod.  It is a bit too tight.  The command pod won't rotate if the collar is cemented together.  Maybe it would have been better if i had masked off the part of the command pod that the collar fits around, or had sanded out the collar.  It's a bit late now, so I'll try to shim up the gap with some strip styrene.

I had packed the command pod with plasticine clay so it actually balances around the engine section, like a "real" B-Wing would do.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:25:33 pm »
Carved a shim out of strip styrene using my Dremel tool and hand files. It fits pretty well and seals up the gap in the collar, allowing the command pod to rotate.

Unfortunately, I got a little liquid cement on the command pod... I didn't know it dissolved acrylic paint  :P  Well... I hopefully will be able to patch up the damage.

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 10:45:42 pm »
Very cool ship. I'll be following your progress with great interest :)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »
With the warmer weather coming back I had a chance to get back on the painting for this model.  I took out the seams on the edges and brushed new primer on, then recoated the edge with my double-action airbrush.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 11:14:49 pm »
Getting the last components painted and prepared.

The engine intakes are open in the model part, I don't think that's screen accurate so i filled them with stock styrene. 

The S-Foil pivots had large cavities in them, probably to make molding easier.  I filled them with milliput.

The S-Foil assembly fortunately didn't need to be painted before assembly, which made it easier to take out the seams.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 07:11:47 pm »
Lovin your build.  I've got one of these on display and a boxed one awaiting action.  I'm kind of hoping Bandai will release one someday soon.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 06:47:56 pm »
Great start here, I have one of these kits along with an A-Wing I hope to start soon, so I will be looking at your log with interest

A-wing?  where'd you get it?  I've got one completed and have been wanting to do another.

Enterprise © Bloc