Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1:72 Fine Molds TIE Interceptor  (Read 425 times)

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
1:72 Fine Molds TIE Interceptor
« on: March 22, 2018, 12:05:23 am »
I started this kit four years ago, during spring break of 2014 at the park where I took my daughter to play at the playground. It became a shelf queen for years until I finally got around to finishing it.

Here's a photoset of the final build on my Tumblr feed.

Here's the final build video on my YouTube channel.

It turned out alright. It looks pretty good, but close-up photos reveal the flaws you won't see in-person. The paint job is Mr. Color 74 Air Superiority Blue, which is one of my favorite colors. This is the color designated in the Fine Molds painting instructions, and it is very close to the color of the actual filming models for the TIE Fighters. They just appear washed out and gray on-screen due to the studio lights and such. Use your imagination and pretend that it's due to the high contrast of OUTER SPACE!

The tip of one of the guns busted off when I dropped the panel on the floor like a stupid spaz. I was able to scratch a replacement by using a section of metal prong from a resistor and drilling it into a 1mm styrene pipe tip.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: 1:72 Fine Molds TIE Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:44:58 am »
I've been wondering, if maybe having a large background picture with a Star Wars theme might be a suitable as an alternative to making a diorama. :)

Good old days, with ILM and classic star wars! :)

Too bad the Fine Molds stand is a little ugly imho.

Greenstrawberry has photo etch for the tie fighters btw, including a cargo compartment at the bottom, though, I vaguely recall the bottom having a ladder according to the comics, so I thought that was a little weird and random, as I expected a ladder. I think I remember some classic Star Wars comic episode where Luke kills a friendly Tie fighter. I wonder it that was Mara Jade.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:10 am »
You are using an airbrush right?

Because the paintwork looks slick. Something hard to get with a regular brush I will have to say.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »
Nice work!

Offline greg

• Captain
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:34:07 am »
Thanks, guys. Yes, I used an airbrush. The panels were painted a mix of Tamiya flat black with a bit of gunmetal mixed in to give it a slight metallic sheen.

I actually like the stand for this kit. It allows the fighter to remain intact and without a hole in the bottom. Plus it looks a little Empire-inspired. The X-Wing's stand has a different personality.

I want to get the Bandai TIE Interceptor. A few years back I built the MPC one, now this one. I also own the Argonauts resin Interceptor.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »
Great looking Tie Fighter! Your cockpit windows look clean.Did you use the included masks or make your own?
For the fun of building art.

Offline greg

• Captain
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:08:10 am »
Great looking Tie Fighter! Your cockpit windows look clean.Did you use the included masks or make your own?
Thanks. Actually, the masks included with the Fine Molds kits are nothing more than paper stickers, and I've heard nothing but horror stories from those who've used them. What I did was put down a large section of masking tape on my clean cutting mat, peeled off the entire sticker thing, and stuck it onto the masking tape. Then I cut around it, using a metal ruler to keep the cuts straight. Then I peeled off the cut sticker sections from the masking and lastly applied the maskings to the cockpit window.

If I didn't explain that well enough, you can watch the video of how I did the process.

There was a bit of bleed-under unfortunately, most likely because I probably didn't build up the paint slowly enough. I could scratch a lot of it off with my blade and used Novus to polish off the excess paint. I was using lacquers though, so if you stick to acrylics then you can probably just use a toothpick to rub away excess. I primarily paint with lacquers. I live in Japan where lacquer paints are popular and are widely available.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:50:23 am »
Thanks for the response Greg! Your technique sounds similar to mine.A few years ago,I assembled a Fine Molds Tie Fighter .I tested the masks for fitting and put those aside straight away!  ;) Blue masking tape(and sometimes the green) is my go to for masking solutions. ;D
For the fun of building art.

Enterprise © Bloc