Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refit Federation Dreadnought  (Read 10151 times)

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
Refit Federation Dreadnought
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:20 am »
Hey folks, once again into the fray!

Boxed my last scratch build for now, causing to much frustration with lack of progress as my job has picked up over the last 3 months.

I started work on a build I have planned for a good long while now, and made some impressive progress over the weekend. I'll be whipping together a refit Federation class Dreadnought. I'm still waiting on various parts for lighting from Tenacontrols, power connector for the stand, maybe some bits from federationmodels, custom decals from HDAModelworx, and paint masks from Cultmantv. So far it's still just prepping parts, removing kit plastic (adding some more), and getting all the little resin bits ready for use.

Presently have a few of the mods done, or at least ready to move forward since the glue had dried.
  • Split impulse deck to route around the third nacelle pylon, with impulse crystal removed to fit the DLM clear blue one
    Modified saucer for "Constitution 2" window inserts
    Third nacelle grills have been cut/cleared for DLM clear parts
    Nacelle pylons have been drilled/trenched for wiring, including third nacelle pylon for the neck
    Extended the secondary hull by adding a new section cut from a donor kit
    Prepped aft torp launcher to add to the third nacelle pylon
    Drilled some window holes on the lower saucer section

Next up, reinforcing the secondary hull now the glue has dried and getting that squared away. Putty, sand putty and more putty and sand to remove those hideous hull lines... Then light blocking, and deciding how to tackle this one.

Here are some preliminary pics of progress.

I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: Refit Federation Dreadnought
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:40:59 am »
You're off to a great start, Jimmypop57!

This should be an interesting build as I haven't seen a refit Dreadnaught anywhere.

Where did you get your inspiration? Are you following any plans for this build?

Good luck and have fun!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 08:42:11 am »
Alright Jimmypop! This should be an excellent build. Any ideas on how your going to mount this yet? I really liked your wall mount on your BOP.
Phil

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »
@ MSgtUSAFRet 
This has actually bee something I wanted to try since I saw an amazing Ascension class dreadnought build by one of the forum members a while back. (http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=1779.msg24795#msg24795). Not wanting to do the same thing, because I thought his was amazing, I looked around for other conversion kits and found the Federation Class dreadnought. Just so happens that federationmodels.com sells these and I picked one up 2-3 years ago now. Then I got a modified 537 refit upgrade kit from Don at DLM to accommodate the 3rd nacelle, window inserts, split impulse deck, and saucer mounted torp tubes (you'll see those later). Grabbed some decals from JT Graphics, and it has sat in storage for over 2 years. Decided it was time.

@trekker9211
I haven't decided yet how I want to mount it. I'll be using a 6 pin audio plug (might see if I can find an 8 for some added shenanigans), so wall mount is definitely an option. But until I get the secondary hull together, and see how well it balances out, I wont know for sure how I'm going to display it. There are a bunch of resin parts that add to the weight, and she was always a saucer heavy beast to begin with. I also have to keep in mind the torp board from tennacontrols Ralph modified for me needs to have at least 4 output wires for speaker and momentary switch (hence the 8 pin connector later if I can find a decent one).

All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 07:41:56 pm »
---------------
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:36:51 pm by AnythingSciFi »

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:16:06 pm »
I hear ya. From the prints, it looks like maybe the balance point (looking from the side) will be slightly farther aft than the normal mounting point for this ship. You can never tell with resin though. This will look awesome when your done.
Phil

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:41:47 pm »
I hear ya. From the prints, it looks like maybe the balance point (looking from the side) will be slightly farther aft than the normal mounting point for this ship. You can never tell with resin though. This will look awesome when your done.

Have to wait and see. Mine wont be as long as the drawing, only having 6 hull sections instead of 8, but I only had one donor kit  8^P

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:59:53 am »
That looks like it is going to be a cool project to work on.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 01:03:18 pm »
Have to wait and see. Mine wont be as long as the drawing, only having 6 hull sections instead of 8, but I only had one donor kit  8^P

Jus askin....but couldn't you dupe a couple of sections from parts you already have or would that upset the plans you have already made?

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:38:56 pm »
Egad that looks hard!  And so cool!  :o  Looking forward to hints as to how you kitbash this work of art!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:58:21 pm »
Not much to show for 3 days, work really drains right now..

Anyway I braced the secondary hull, started putty work, and I am attempting to scratch a decent looking torp launcher from kit parts. Progress is progress tho!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:28:05 pm by Jimmypop57 »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 07:06:04 pm »
What scale is this bad boy? Looks pretty big.  BTW, I gather the dreadnought has better speed with three nacelles, but what does it pack by the way of more firepower?  Of course, it wins the 'most badass looking' contest by a wide margin, but still...
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 07:20:29 pm »
This is in 1:537 scale, same as the Enterprise Refit/Miranda.

Lets see if I remember from looking at it...

3x bow torp launchers on the neck
2x aft torp launchers
14x top saucer / dorsal phaser banks
16x lower saucer / ventral phaser banks

Mine will have 4x additional torp launchers in a bow saucer mount.

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 09:06:18 pm »
Nice work JimmyPop! Are the extra phaser banks ship accurate or modelers discretion? I'm not being a judgmental fuddy duddy in ANY way, but I know nothing of this ship other than having heard of the name. With a name like Dreadnought, it better be armed to the teeth. Just curious my friend...great work!
Phil

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 07:57:12 am »
I'll make them as accurate as I can to what they should be. DLMs upgrade kit comes with about 20 of the little round jobbies for it. Filling in the hideous grid lines should tone down the raised rectangles on the saucer and make them more flush. I'm trying to decide if I want to scribe in some of the panel lines again, or just keep the whole thing smooth (maybe just the saucer).

Question for folks that have done it: What and where did you find the clear pearlescent paints when azteking? Or is this just a pigment you add to a clear acrylic medium?

Enterprise © Bloc