Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refit Federation Dreadnought  (Read 10147 times)

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
Re: Refit Federation Dreadnought
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 10:25:09 am »
Phil

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 11:51:10 am »
I just noticed your 'scratched' forward torpedo launchers. Awesome work Dood!
Phil

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 02:25:57 pm »
Well, I had every intention of light blocking this weekend... but those plans are gonna have to wait now, woke up to this

Guess I'll have more putty and sanding to keep me occupied, with some EvE Online interspersed of course! Finished the scratch torp launcher. Needs a bit of sanding on the tubes, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 09:23:40 pm »
I wanted to get a better idea of what I am looking at so I pulled out the roll of tape and did a poor job of setting things up so I could take a look. I need to cobble a way to brace the neck. It has a significant amount of weight on the back and the front with the saucer on, so there will be a lot of pressure in a couple of places where the bonds will be weak if I just use glue.

I'm excited!  ;D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:25:44 pm by Jimmypop57 »
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline krieg.17

• Captain
  • FIRE!
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 10:24:12 am »
Just a tip. If you are going to lose the fugly grid lines, the putty method doesn't work very well. I used half a tube then sanded and could still see them. I found it a lot quicker to just sand them off!
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 01:32:54 pm »
@krieg.17 I'll keep that in mind. We'll see what it looks like when I can apply some thick primer.

Still snowing like crazy, can't light block anything, so I prepped (and in a few spots... rebuilt) the resin bits for the front of the saucer. Then I tried them out with a 2mm red LED. I might drill some windows into the sides so it's not as plain. What say you?

Offline krieg.17

• Captain
  • FIRE!
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 06:52:48 pm »
Looks great!
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 02:32:03 pm »
Ah yes, life in Colorado in April! Your photon launchers are awesome. I always felt they should have added some more armament to some of these ships.
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 02:15:47 pm »
Jimmypop57 this is shaping up to one excellent build!! if the pre-light blocking looks good now, it should really pop when it is done!

Nice work!

Are you going to display this next to the refit model, too?

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline hansebi

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 02:41:48 am »
I am loving these details, saucer launchers always peak my interest

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:21 am »
Thanks! I'll try to keep updates regular, but work is very tiring at the moment. Should be a sunny weekend in the 80s, so I'm hoping to get the saucers puttied up and apply light blocking for that and the secondary hull. Got all my electronics and 9pin connector for it. Other than the little random bits that need puttied and sanded after the fact, I'm hoping to get started on the nacelles shortly, and plan out my wiring. See if I can get some spot lights etc going. Lots of grandiose plans LOL.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 11:34:36 am »
Progress is slow. Mad props to anyone who has done this before. Much more intensive than I originally thought, and I thought it would be a pain then.

+2 hours in... not counting the puttying itself lol. My arm is tired now, gonna let the bottom saucer wait a few hours, haven't given my biceps that much of a workout in some time.

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 04:28:01 pm »
Geeze, I'll give you a force assist on that putty work, but I don't envy you having to do it.
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 10:02:01 pm »
Okay, JP57, I gotta ask, what kind of putty are you using?

I just got a "non-smoothy" 1/537 Refit and have been debating about whether or not to sand off the "tiles".

Sympathies for your arms and no doubt your shoulders, but it will be worth it when you get it all done!

Keep going! I am following with great interest. This is the first thread I have seen where someone attempted a Dreadnaught!

Excellent!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 07:46:13 am »
@ MSgtUSAFRet I'm just using squadron green putty. Hard part was figuring out a way to get it down fast before it started to dry. I took a bit of balsa wood, and used it like a cement trowel. It snapped in half after the first section. So I cut another bit of balsa, wrapped it in masking tape TADA! Then I put the putty on the end like toothpaste on a toothbrush and smoothed it out one section at a time.

Got the saucer section done with the first round of sanding to remove the grid lines. Then I hit it with a very light coat of tamiya fine primer to see the results. Not bad at all really, but notice I said "first round". The grid lines are almost gone, and the coat of primer is super thin, enough to ceiling light through. I'll spot putty the big spots I missed, and sand it again, then apply another thin coat of primer and see what we have going. From the pics below you can still see the gridlines, but they are almost gone. Once I get the "grid" gone, I'll re-scribe the section panel lines.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:57:33 am by Jimmypop57 »

Enterprise © Bloc