Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refit Federation Dreadnought  (Read 10150 times)

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Refit Federation Dreadnought
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2017, 07:54:46 pm »
Ok finally got unpacked (mostly) and running around fixing all the little things that needed fixing last two weeks. No one told me being a homeowner means I have to fix and repair at move in, but all of that is about done I think as I'm about broke as a joke now.

Over the next couple weekends I'll be digging through the "hobby" boxes, of which I was rather surprised made up about 2/3rds of my worldly possessions... Anywho, going to set up the paint station first, and pull the dread out. Left off before painting the pearl on the bottom of the saucer.
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:24 pm »
Ok finally got unpacked (mostly) and running around fixing all the little things that needed fixing last two weeks. No one told me being a homeowner means I have to fix and repair at move in, but all of that is about done I think as I'm about broke as a joke now.

Having done that about 18 months ago, I can definitely agree with it being an expensive experience. We actually wound up installing carpet - although to be fair, we had a pretty good idea that the one room in the house needed some sort of flooring treatment, as it had exercise mats over concrete when we looked at it.

More of my annoyance was covering the Deep Coral walls in the office so that we could change it to Sage Green. Pictures would not do that paint justice.

Over the next couple weekends I'll be digging through the "hobby" boxes, of which I was rather surprised made up about 2/3rds of my worldly possessions... Anywho, going to set up the paint station first, and pull the dread out. Left off before painting the pearl on the bottom of the saucer.

It took quite a bit before I could actually do modeling regularly in the house, partly because of needing to set up the workroom to my satisfaction. I'm finally where I can go down there every night and get stuff done.

Our hobby stuff did take quite a bit of the moving load, but the modeling was a very small part of that.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2017, 08:53:08 pm »
Ugh, I've moved 15 times in 30 years and I'm ready to say no for just about any reason to another one.  Although my models are not a big part of that 'NO!', it is true that I think about models in the context of 'how will they move?'  I have a nearly ridiculous stash just now, and all of them were purchased wondering 'how will they move?'  I am quite ready to be done with that questioning.  However.  A plus side is that some of them inevitably break, which results in MORE SHELF SPACE!  Kind of a good cop, bad cop thing.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2017, 07:45:01 am »
@scottminium Yeah, I have a rather large stash (some of which I totally forgot about being in boxes stashed in a closet for the last 2 years). These days I try to build mine with ease of transport in mind, but... the best laid plans of mice and men!

I pulled out the Dread this morning, now I'm trying to hunt down the rest of the fun stuff... I can't remember what box the airbrush and compressor are in, so a new search is now in progress. Pretty sure I labeled all those correctly, but that is a closet of boxes to wade through!  :o
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2017, 01:09:20 pm »
Alrighty! It's been 5 months since the move, and learning all the fun things that need done when you buy a home. But last night I unpacked and reassembled the paint station. Finished the edge of the bottom saucer masking, and laid down the pearl white. Tomorrow I'll start masking the neck and secondary hull. Few months back I spoke to MSgtUSAFRet about how to print my own decals. Eventually we'll get there. This build is now about a year and a half old with the 5 month heidus.

PS: Looks like photobucket is out now, so sry if the old pics are MIA.

Post Season recap: Finished aztec on top of the saucer, had 90%+ of the bottom saucer masked off (This is where I left off)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BnXtUgWjFiUOWcPc2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XmvkGnHpGKYpHVS42
-
https://photos.app.goo.gl/m5KIXwcVKBe9gaRx2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/plers4aZsTU8RPK83
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UUhzXlsbaPBTFswr2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9f4HNutKKlnM0yX62

Now back to this seasons premier! Got the bottom of the saucer masked, and pearl applied.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vPBbupKNtRYqqQ6q1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/0BAzzZ9G7nbk8bEJ3

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #245 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:26 am »
JIMMY!!! DUDE, I am so glad to see you back at it!

It sounds like the move went well and the Dreadnaught survived the move!

Nice job on the aztecing on the dorsal saucer!

Keep at it! Like I've always said, "This is gonna be AWESOME!"

LLAP! and Welcome back to it!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2017, 08:49:40 pm »
Work is beating me into a pulp this month, but Oct should be slower. Not much to report, but I have most of the secondary hull masked off, need to fill in the holes on account of the hull being extended, finish the pylons, and start on the neck. Hopefully barring anything dumb this weekend I can be lazy about it and get it done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0zUlvKKB7N07YqUt2

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2017, 06:37:28 pm »
Looking sweet!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2017, 08:25:22 am »
I am so in a rut right now, since about mid march when I moved. Work picked up, but it's slowing down again. I just can't find the drive to finish this thing... Which is bothersome, it's so darn close now. I did get the masking on the secondary hull, but since it's stretched from a regular 537 refit, I need to start cutting tape to fill in the gaps. I think I need another work table, I find my lack of furniture disturbing.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2017, 10:04:27 am »
Me: Master! I feel a disturbance in the Force!

Master: I feel it, too!

Me: I sense Jimmypop57 is struggling against the Dark Side of Apathy! What must we do?!

Master: We will commune with him through the Force and will him to complete his goals

Me: Yes, Master! We will! But I, too, find my lack furniture disturbing!

Master: I know, my young padawan. But the real question is: "Why are we using 'Star Wars' references in a Star Trek build thread?!"

Me: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Stay strong, Buddy! Once you dive in, you will find your center and finish this beautiful work of Art!

LLAP!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2017, 10:37:15 am »
I have expanded my hobby equipment to include 3D printers, so lots of folks want/need stuff.  Been printing a lot of star wars stuff for people recently, kinda stuck in star wars land. I haven't been completely idle over the last few months. I have taken the time to modify some SLT files for a Klingon Neg'Var and Vor'Cha ships, and have some pretty good models from those prints in 1:4000 and 1:2000 so far. But yeah, don't have a "work" space to do serious model work presently and it's bugging me (these printers take up a LOT of room), especially when Dec vacation time is coming up quick. It's when I do the bulk of my work through the year.

IMG_20170924_161219 by James Beard, on Flickr

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #251 on: November 07, 2017, 12:23:03 pm »
What decals are you looking for? I can do some custom ones for you.
Registry and whatnot.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #252 on: November 07, 2017, 11:34:07 pm »
I have the USS Federation registry for it, but was hoping on something else. Still not really sure what to call the beast.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2017, 10:04:29 am »
If you need something let me know.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Enterprise © Bloc