Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refit Federation Dreadnought  (Read 10148 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: Refit Federation Dreadnought
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:24 am »
Nice job!

I was thinking of using a rubber spatula to spread the putty but some balsa works, too!

You said "first round". Are you trying to make the grid lines totally disappear or just reduce their appearance?

Either way, this is shaping up to a nice build!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »
Why Squadron Green?  I've never used it, but I have used Tamiya basic (gray) and Squadron white.  Why fill and rescribe the panel lines?  (forgive me if you already answered that)
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »
No worries! I'm trying to get rid of the grid pattern AMT added to the MPC master mold to make aztec'ish patterns. They are hidious lol. Once I have them gone and a smooth surface, I'll scrib the triangular panels and circular lines back in.

Big bits are about done, will hit the nacells next. I have one more to carve up for the clear blue grills. More pics this weekend.
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 08:03:21 am »
Ok, so I am debating with myself over these gridlines. Should I give it another pass of putty and sand, or leave the barely visible grid pattern (keeping in mind there will be a few coats of paint over it) to give it some depth? I'm leaning towards leaving the hint of the grid lines as they are. I still need to re-scribe the panel lines, hit the nacelles and the neck/pylons. Either way I really want to get started on the wiring layout. Got my boards from Tenacontols in a week ago, and my power connection has come in so I can start playing around with stuff. Going to use an 8 pin DIN connector for wiring so I got options (http://www.trianglecables.com/product/8-pin-din-female-panel-mount-connector-262.aspx). The inner casing for this works as a ground, so with speaker x2, ground through case, and 2x pins for a momentary switch, that leaves me with 4 pins to play with.

Here is the thought process right now:
 - Navigation beacons and strobes
 - Main lighting
 - Engines
 - Spot lights

Now what I would REALLY like to do, but have had no luck with the supplies I have, is set up a 6 channel RF remote and switches so I can turn it on remotely with all it's functions + fire torpedoes. I have attempted to set up another test with a 1:1000 refit light kit from tena and a 2 channel RF switch/remote, but so far while I can hear the switches going on and off, I can't get the board to light up with the remote.

Anyone ever done this kind of setup before? Could really use some pointers, even if I need to get an ardunio and RF shield and use that, I don't mind. I want this to be a one of a kind display (and I'm going to try to find a way to wall mount it if I can get away with it). Any ideas on how to get this remote controlled is much appreciated!
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 07:56:17 pm »
Jimmypop57, once you get to the lighting and sound of model, I have no pointers to offer as I am out of my depth.

As far as the gridlines, I like the suggestion of the girdlines and brickwork rather than the having them scream at me from the model. I was thinking of doing the same thing when I start my 1/537 refit. I am very interested in your build!

Hope this helps!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 12:18:18 pm »
Quick update. It's been snowing and wet since Friday, so no paint/light blocking, BOO!

I'm talking with someone in the UK across the pond to get a remote control set up for turning stuff on and on, I'll let folks know how that goes.

Started drilling out RCS thruster ports on the 3rd nacelle (which needed some additional work to make the fins match up).

Began working on the arboretum windows.

Using the same lighting technique I used for the refit in the secondary hull, cutting a bit of thin styrene for 3 LEDs, that bounce the light back from aluminum tape on the inside of the hull avoiding hot spots.

And lastly got the alignment of the aft torpedo launcher laid out, and some holes drilled for the lighting. Still some fine tuning, as I need to straighten it out, wire, light block, epoxy putty to match, etc etc

Offline Falkenhorst

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 06:27:29 am »
Amazing work!
SCOTTY!  Stop fooling around and BEAM BACK MY CLOTHES!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 05:34:37 pm »
I never thought about the aluminum tape for hot spots, I was always worried about contact with the LED leads.  I paint black under the LEDs, and the Tulip fabric paint is really awesome for that.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 06:51:00 pm »
yeah, this is just the test. Still needs light blocking, but principle is the same. Light hits tape, reflects back onto the white styrene evenly illuminating all the windows.

Got first coat of black paint in for light blocking on the saucer today after work since the weather was good. Presently scribing appropriate panel lines back into the beast LOL

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 08:09:13 am »
Yet another weekend of storms after a weekday of sun lol. I did however get the saucer light blocked, and looking good. All the nacelles are prepped for DLM inserts and started looking at areas for spot lights and the RCS thrusters. Grabbed some 0402 SMD LEDs from HDX that are gonna be amazing for spot lights (just wow!). Worked on the bridge dome... probably inhaled  bit to much resin dust not being careful, but I got the back windows opened up, drilled for the strobe, and added a layer of .60 styrene to raise it up a bit and make the 3 windows more prominent. Also got in the first part of pearlescent white powder, waiting on the blue, and need to get get whatever Future is here in the US for mixing it up. Also saw something on adafruit.com that makes me think I can get the remote control options to work, although I am still in a convo about someone building something similar for me, I think this might work better and the price tag is awesome (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1097).

Nacelle Spot Light test -

Finished Saucer putty work -

Dread bridge work -

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 07:33:17 am »
Jimmypop57, This is looking fabulous!

I do have a question - if you don't mind - what did you mean by:

Also got in the first part of pearlescent white powder, waiting on the blue, and need to get get whatever Future is here in the US for mixing it up.

Is this so you can mix powder with the Future and make a clear, pearlescent gloss coat? If it is, how do you use it and what is your recipe - if you wanna share?

Thanks a ton! It's a pleasure following your build!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 10:39:08 am »
@ MSgtUSAFRet, I haven't used these yet. The pearlescent powders are the additive, and the floor wax will be the clear acrylic medium. I plan on playing around with some sheet styrene and I'll definitely document the process for posterity lol. But my main guess here, is that I'll mix up some extra large batches adding either medium or powder till I get what I'm looking for. From the youtube vids I have been hunting down, looks like a little pearl powder goes a long way.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 11:53:53 am »
Suhweet!

Well, it would be an interesting few posts on the technique.  ;D

I have an NSEA Protector build coming up as well as a 1/537 refit and am very interested in seeing how this turns out!

Thanks!

Steve

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 08:48:56 am »
No problem! I'm still waiting on a couple of things before I can get started. It'll be a slow process, as I only have time for a few hours here and there during the week + weekends if nothing comes up, like rain or snow lol. I'll be out of town for a week week so no updates until next Thursday  :(

I picked up some Pledge floor wax yesterday, and am still waiting for the pearl blue powder to arrive, as well as the RF switches from adafruit. Also need to reach out to Ralph over at tenacontrols and see if he has any pointers on hooking up the torp effects board. Plan now is to finish sanding, primer, and light blocking for the secondary hull (any ideas on how to do the arboretum without having to build one?). Once that is done I can start the set up for wiring and try to make it clean... last 537 refit was a rats nest, and I want to do it a bit cleaner this time. Then nacelles etc before I get to the neck and pull the aves epoxy putty out to fill in some spots and still keep the windows working. That neck bit is gonna be a pain, as I have to route wires/leds to the aft torp launcher, and probably some SMDs for the handful of windows I'll have there. Tight place to work with for sure.

For paint, I'll be building in assemblies, and will get to it as I start buttoning bits up. I have the dreaded aztec dummy masks, that I'll try to do in sections so they don't stay on the paint that long as they might dig deep and pull up previous coats, we'll see.

For paint it'll be a multi step process starting with a flat white base coat, then a clear pearlescent blue, masking, clear pearlescent white. All goes well I'll have the aztec pattern in blue and white shimmering as you change angles (wish me luck when I get to that step).

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 03:20:14 pm »
Change in plans. Spent about half an hour on the phone with Ralph from Tenacontrols, and we worked out a board with RF switches for my build. This is awesome, and I have to hand it to Ralph once again. Amazing customer service, and willing to take your ideas to make them work. Had a board planned out, and invoice sent within an hour of our conversation.

Enterprise © Bloc