Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refit Federation Dreadnought  (Read 21729 times)

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
Re: Refit Federation Dreadnought
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 07:36:41 pm »
Cool news on the custom board!  The only thing I think you did wrong on your design is you forgot to connect the Flux Capacitor to the Mr. Fusion unit.  Common mistake.  ;D

Can't wait to see the results!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 12:36:53 pm »
Alrighty! Time for an overdue update! Was out of town for a week, then as is normal, got slammed at work on the week back. However I did get a nacelle wired up this weekend, and most of the prep for the second one (third will wait for the secondary hull to be assembled).

Got all my tena boards in, and need to re-evaluate my power, as I no longer need an 8 pin connector. Now I can get away with 4. Anywho... Lighting for one nacelle done, not yet assembled as that will be an interesting process and I need some additional light blocking before I can seal that one up.

The wiring...

The potential outcome...

And if you are wondering about the red LED at the bottom, that is for nav beacons in the Kwill sensors  ::)
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 11:28:04 am »
So the first part of any 2+ engine system is the first one, the prototype if you will. See how it goes together, make adjustments, etc etc.

I didn't feel satisfied with the flux chiller grill lighting either in full light or in simi-dark. So I added a sanded 3mm crystal clear blue LED, aimed at the aluminum tape. To further smooth out the hot spot it created, I took a piece of .30 (I think?) styrene and temp taped it to the resin part to see. Came out much better, and as always the camera washes out the LED, but it gives a almost perfect uniform glow. Once the black paint goes on for the grill ridges, it should tone that down even more.

Now I'm ready to light block the bits, set up the port nacelle, and seal them up after an 8h light test.

Added LED:

In full light:

In the dark:

All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 05:06:49 am »
Jimmypop57,

Thanks for the closeups of your nacelle lighting! The different techniques you showed gave me some ideas for my current build!

Love the effects you have done! Okay, I gonna show my ignorance as a newb but, what is a kwill sensor?!  ::)

Keep up the good work.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 07:32:41 am »
Hey MSgtUSAFRet, it's just another resin add on  ;D (actually I got it wrong they are KWIL sensors, added an extra "L" there). But I figure you have a starship that has roughly 3x the firepower of a Constitution refit, it's gonna need additional sensors to ensure what it's aiming at knows it's getting aimed at!  8)

Found it cruising the resin bits on www.federationmodels.com

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:36:43 am by Jimmypop57 »

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 09:00:52 am »
Cool build, like seeing these kinds of kit changes.

L
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 02:11:29 pm »
Thanks Lewilsons.

Things are slow, but I model at a very slow speed. Anywho.... Worked on some fun stuff, boring stuff first!

Got a bit done with the nacelle, trying to make the grill look decent, but bogged down with house work. Still a bit off, but getting there, ignore the light leak around the flux chiller grill for now

Also did spot work on the secondary hull: (boring sanding time!)

Needed an arboretum, sooooo...

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2016, 02:27:54 pm »
Great  arboretum. Looks better than my transparencies. I will have to try that
on my next build.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2016, 02:48:11 pm »
@ Tankton, yeah I was going to use the transparencies to save myself the time. But one thing lead to another and I built one instead. Still some issues to figure out with it like the side walls that don't match, but depending on how I get windows in there it might blur that out a bit. Thinking about taping them up from the outside, and filling with acrylic floor wax and letting them sit till it dries. Not sure how that will come out tho.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2016, 04:40:17 pm »
Just have to say the arboretum is just showing off.  It's like someone comes over to your house and you say, 'dig the models' and they say 'cool' and you say, 'no, dig the models!'  And then they lean in and say, 'holy crap!'  Then you wink and say, 'have a beer.'

Totally loving your work.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2016, 08:27:39 pm »
Okay, did somebody "Beer"?! Besides, I don't need a second invitation to geek out over your models, Jimmypop57!

The arboretum is too cool!

Looking Great! Keep it going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2016, 09:36:48 am »
Not much to show for the last 2 weeks, work is hammering me at the end of the quarter yada yada. Still working on smoothing out the nacelles, and figuring out wiring layout. Waiting on a slow boat for my power connection to get here before I can start planning out the secondary hull wiring. No significant work worth showing pics of at the moment. But I have a 4 day weekend coming up I plan on getting some work done.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2016, 09:00:22 am »
Been busy with work and a week long business trip so things went on hold, just got back Friday.

Bout all I have done is first round of putty on the starboard nacelle, the neck / photon launchers.

Started to play with the fiber for the RCS thrusters on my one completed engine (man this is taking me forever, sry guys). Ran into a snag and had to perform some surgery. The tube I have my yellow LED housed in broke away from it's mount. Presently waiting for glue to dry so I can set this up differently.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:02:37 am by Jimmypop57 »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2016, 05:16:57 pm »
wow.  I've never thought of attempting such surgery.  If a light fails I just shake the model a bit and hope for the best!  :P
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2016, 08:04:30 am »
Surgery went well, and all is working now. I got the first engine attached to the straight pylons. Might have run into a problem when my CA glue set to fast when I was setting wires in the trench. If I putty it up and sand it as is, I'll end up exposing some wires. This could cause me some serious issues if the current bonded bits don't want to give it up easily. Pulled the saucer out, and planned initial LED placement, and wiring routing through the neck for the torp launcher board, speaker wire, and 3 other pairs of wires that'll need to go through there. Also set up my mounting point for the stand in the secondary hull. Still a bit rough, but I'll need to have the main rod set at an angle, so I'll eventually make it to ACE hardware and pick up the right size copper for it, and pull out the soldering torch to build a sturdy frame to house in the base and keep the sucker from moving.

Now when I find the time to do all this will be anyone's guess, but I'll keep trying to get little bits done here and there. Need to just set aside a weekend to mash through the bulk of what I have planned. Lots of soldering to be done.

Enterprise © Bloc