Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mixing Metalics?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline smusno

• Commander
Mixing Metalics?
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:15:45 pm »
I use Tamiya paints. I use them because they are easy to thin, they blow nicely through my airbrush, and go on well.

There metallic range sux!!

Have any of you ever mixed a metallic colour but adding chrome,steel and so on into a non metallic paint?

Help!
"if its paint, or plastic. it can be fixed"

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Mixing Metalics?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:54:17 pm »
I did this for a project, but I didn't use Tamiya paints for it. I used badger/Modelflex paints and they mix well. Made a mirror universe NX-01 that I wanted to be dark, so I mixed the Badger silver with I believe was a steam engine black (3 parts silver 1 part black) and they went together well. As long as you can deal with the rail road names for their colors, they aren't bad, and pretty cheap to. These paints are very thin tho, about the same consistency as water, but super easy to clean if you do it fast.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/modelf.aspx
*There are plenty more colors than listed in this link, but you might need to find a hobby shop specializing in model trains or cruise    Amazon.com for more variety.
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
Re: Mixing Metalics?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:22:10 pm »
Should work fine Smus as long as the type of paints are the same.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Enterprise © Bloc