Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [TOSLINK Cables] Alternative Source For 1mm Diameter Fiber Optics  (Read 589 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
Hi, Everyone.

The other day I was thinking of ordering a 1mm diameter fiber optic cable when suddenly I remember that I have some extra TOSLINK (Toshiba Link) cables laying around.

For those who aren't familiar with TOSLINK, it is a standardized optical fiber connection system.   Also known generically as an "optical audio cable" or just "optical cable," its most common use is in consumer audio equipment, where it carries a digital audio stream from components such as CD and DVD players, DAT recorders, computers, and modern video game consoles, to an AV receiver that can decode two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.

Anyway, a TOSLINK cable usually has a 1mm fiber optic core.  Just use a wire cutter/stripper to pull away enough of the protective covering to expose the amount of core you need, and there you go!

Good stuff!  :)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline rmpitzer

• Ensign
Re: [TOSLINK Cables] Alternative Source For 1mm Diameter Fiber Optics
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:08:01 am »
This is an awesome tip!  Thanks!!

-Rich

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: [TOSLINK Cables] Alternative Source For 1mm Diameter Fiber Optics
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »
That is a cool tip and reminder to some of us that might have such cable laying around Kenny....

But more than that I find it incredible to just imagine the level of technology behind this hardware. Transmitting the sound of your voice or your guitar with a beam of light is actually quite a feat!

When it becomes possible (if it isn't already) for a hologram (also a beam of light) to transmit sound so precisely, I guess we could all find ourselves surrounded by imitation people?
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Enterprise © Bloc