Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMT 1/650 TOS Romulan BOP  (Read 30560 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
AMT 1/650 TOS Romulan BOP
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:05:32 am »
Hey Guys! Now that both my TOS Enterprise builds are complete, I am heavily leaning toward building a AMT 1/650 TOS Romulan BOP. This will continue my infatuation with ST:TOS but, and this may be difficult for you to believe, I am ready to build something a bit different! :D Don't worry! I still have three (3) more to build; an Enterprises Refit, a "C" and an accurized TOS Enterprise. Just taking a break from the Federation for a bit. :)

I chose this kit for some specific reasons: 1) the kit is a relatively easy build 2) it is a TOS era kit 3) this will be my first attempt at lighting a kit! I hope to not have to focus so much on the build as I can focus on the lighting. The aspect that is a bit intimidating is the lighting portion. I am a "business major" by education and very few dental patients (read here NONE!) ask for a lighted prosthesis so I am a virtual newb to this part of the community and to electronics itself. So I may be asking a lot of questions on lighting in the Modeler's Question board. Inspired by Steve's (trekkriffic) build, I plan to add gridlines and impulse exhaust ports and a little more detail than what may be considered canon.

My son picked up a TOS Romulan BOP Diamond Select display model (Yes, I have infected by children with a love of all things Star Trek!) with lights and sound, so I will be using it as a 3-D guide.

In comparing the two, I immediately see glaring differences. Looking at it from the Dorsal view, the stern of the Hull is missing some contour. I would like to add the missing contour.

20160503_192243

Jay Denis , a builder on Culttvman.com, provides a partial list of the AMT models inaccuracies:
1.   Engine nacelle forward detail - AMT designed it with a full sphere instead of a half sphere
2.   Engine nacelle rear detail - should be smaller outside circumference than the rest of the engine
3.   Main hull sides - The kit's hull sides are vertical and the studio model's hull sides angle outward from bottom to top at approximately 25-30 degrees.
4.   Top superstructure height - too tall
5.   The Ventral and Dorsal stern primary hull is convex instead of concave
6.   The Dorsal Fin is 2X's as thick as the Studio Model's
7.   Plasma weapon emitter - This part was included in Round2's reissue of the model

Admittedly this is not an exhaustive list - it is a start at some modifications to make it closer to what we all have seen on the screen.

I will be using Mark McMaster's blueprints as guidance during the build. They are freely available at cygnus-x1.net.

Here are some pics on my plan for gridlines. I am thinking I will add some to the wings as well, just so they look like they belong with the rest of the ship!

20160503_205712A
20160503_205725

As always, any comments, inputs or suggestions for improvement are greatly desired and hugely appreciated! I hope you will follow along with me as I build!

For the Praetor's Glory!

Steve
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:32:25 am by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline KevinH

• Commander
Re: AMT 1/650 TOS Romulan BOP
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:30:57 am »
Can't wait to see what wonders you are going to do with this kit.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:53:11 am »
Steve,

Glad you're taking this on!  I've got one in my stash too and I had wondered how many of the modifications I wanted to do or even was capable of trying;)  Looking forward to seeing your approach.

Best of luck!

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:22:41 am »
Well I certainly hope you do a better job with this one than you did on the TOS Enterprise you just "finished".  Hahahaha.  Just kidding.  I hope you sent those images to Boyd. 

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:38:34 am »
Kevin - thanks! I can't wait either!

Al - If I even come close to lighting as well as you, it will be a miracle!!  ;D ;D ;D
The mods should be interesting and fun!

Shawn,
Well I certainly hope you do a better job with this one than you did on the TOS Enterprise you just "finished".  Hahahaha.  Just kidding.  I hope you sent those images to Boyd.

LOL! Yeah! Me Too! I haven't sent them yet but I did send an email asking how he might like to get them - file size and format. If anyone knows let me know!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 02:40:00 pm »
Do you watch Boyds youtube broadcast on Sunday nights Steve?   They are really cool and a real blast to watch live because you can comment and talk with the rest of the folks watching it the same time.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »
Will be watching this one to steal ideas for mine. Really interested in how you
are going to do the modifications.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:50 pm »
Hey Guys,

Shawn, I subscribed to Boyd's channel, but wasn't able to watch the show. Still, from what I hear, thunderstorms played havoc for yesterday's broadcast. I will catch the next one and I may end up sending my pics anyway. I guess he can pare them down if he needs to. :)

Cameron, excellent! I kinda "borrowed" a few of these modifications myself so, ya know, steal away! ;D

I hope you had a productive weekend! I am kinda looking forward to this holiday weekend as, maybe, I'll get something done on the BOP.

While this may be a small update as far as forward progress, I have been busy on the planning side of things!

I have been trying to figure out how to add the contours to the stern. I finally decided I was going to have to make a pattern and the scratch build something to attach to the Stern. Although I think I may cause myself problems with lighting down the road, I decided I still needed the extra contours. This is the plan for the pattern.

20160523_060520A

So I made a paper pattern and, using some 0.040mm styrene, I scribed and bent out the pieces. I know it isn't perfect but putty, glue and paint will do wonders to make this work - at least I hope.

20160522_154430

Here I dry-fit the patterns to the model. I still have to remove the dorsal of the primary body and flip it over to get the right contours, but this will give me something to work with. The Styrene was a little too flexible so I added supports across the length of the "box". I also added supports to the side hull extensions which will later support the styrene strips to give me the side bevel I need.

20160522_155101
20160522_202624

Oh well, the creativity begins to flow and, as is typical for me, I think I just made a complex build out of a simple one! But then, if we all took the low road, none of us would reach Scotland with any stories to tell! ;D

Stay tuned for more thrilling and exciting updates!!

For the Praetor's Glory! (I gotta find a new war cry!)

Steve
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:40:59 am by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »
Looks cool so far.

Offline KRK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 02:27:15 pm »

Very nice, I like how you corrected the ships stern, looks more like it should.  Well Done!

KRK

Offline KevinH

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »
Fantastic!!!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 07:52:18 am »
DECIUS: "We are beaten. Can it be true? The Praetor's finest and proudest flagship beaten."
COMMANDER: "Perhaps we can yet save your Praetor's pride for him."

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the comments and support!
Shawn thanks and welcome back!
KRK - Thanks! This was a mod from my head - at least I didn’t steal this one!
KevinH - Thanks!

Just a word of caution today - don't ever try to model after a full day's work with only 4 hours of sleep; mistakes tend to creep in and attempt to sideline an easy project. At least…that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;D

I was trying to do a modification I found on another website and I'm not sure it turned out like I would have hoped. While fixable, it will cost time and resources. The Dorsal of the Hull, Aft of the superstructure, should be concave – a bit. I think in my "zeal" to start in on the model, I may have introduced too much of a concave shape.

I cut out a triangular shape from the hull and, after looking at both the internal shape and external shape of the piece, I didn’t see gain in cutting it out. So, I thought, I would try and add some curvature to the piece. Then, using an old hair dryer, I warmed up the piece and put it over a curved instrument and pushed down perimeter of the piece. It flexed nicely! While holding the piece, I went to the sink and ran to cold tap water to "freeze" the piece into shape.

20160524_174648

Freehanding and eyeballing the piece to the hull, it looked like I needed to reduce the Aft vertical hull to fit the new curvature; which I did here in this pic. I think I was overzealous in my reduction leaving almost nothing to reduce from the ventral of the hull when I perform surgery on the ventral, aft hull.

20160524_181147

But, given time, Millput, Bondo, CA, and not a few Romulan curses, I may be able to re-bend and reshape to create more of a suggestion of a curve rather than an amplified statement of one. ;D

More updates to come as I work on this "simple" build! :)

"Even in death, I still serve!" (I know I'm crossing my Universes, but it still sounds Romulan!) ;)

Steve
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:24:25 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:18 am »
"A few Romulan Curses."  That is a riot.  I think I would just sit there and stare and maybe cry a bit then just walk away.  Hang in there buddy.  I know it's going to look great in the end.

Shawn

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 08:24:17 am »
Steve, sure there's a lot of work ahead but it looks like you're on a good track and the proportions taking shape already look much better than the kit.  Keep going!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 12:03:40 pm »
Thanks, Guys! I REALLY appreciate the encouragement!

Shawn, I don't know any Romulan curses so, ya know, share if you do! I'm sure they will come in handy! ;D

Al, Thanks! I'm really hoping to do the ship justice!

More to come. Maybe I will have an uninterrupted block of time this long holiday weekend to do some work on the build!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc