Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1:87 Big Boy Locomotive  (Read 788 times)

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
1:87 Big Boy Locomotive
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:24:53 am »
I decided to take a break from sci-fi models and start work on my 1:87 Big Boy Locomotive. I picked this up at the local hobby shop last year. This is going to be a kit that will be a gift for a friend. This is just going to be a basic build with no lights. I am going to display it like I did with the SeaQuest and mount it onto a wall shelf. I think I am going to buy some metal track from the hobby shop to display the train on in place of the plastic track that came with the kit. I will also create a little bit of scenery on the wall mount around the track. Gravel, maybe some grass and a crossing signal. I have everything primed and I started to spray the base coat on the locomotive. I am using Alclad II black for the base. I am using this because I think it gives a better shine then Tamiya.

I will let this sit for a few days then give it one final coat of black before moving on to the smaller parts for assembly.

Thanks for watching!

Mike

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1:87 Big Boy Locomotive
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:33:57 pm »
Looking good, Mike!

Good luck with the build!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:01:56 pm »
It's been a while but here are a few pics after I added some steel color to the locomotive. I will slowly start to get back to working on this model as I begin to wind down on Voyager.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 01:25:57 pm »
I envy your paint skills sir. All the build progress posts I have cruised through, it always stands out, crisp and clean. Looking good (if a bit outside my particular genre), didn't even know they made locomotive kits.  :o
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:25:56 am »
I spent the last 2 days working on the Big Boy and just about done. I will let her set now and tomorrow I will clear coat her and get the decals on. I also need to work on the tracks. Once that is all done, I will attach the train to a wall mount for display.

Mike

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 04:47:46 pm »
Well here is the last of it! Everything is finished except for the decals. I lost them! I will need to make a new set of them which should not be a big deal for this. It did not have that many anyways. Once that is done I will post the final pictures. The base color of the train is Alcalad II lacquer black. The rest of it is Tamiya Steel acrylic paint. The train is mounted on a 24 inch wall shelf.

Thanks for following!

Mike

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:21:08 am »
Nice job. I take you have an HO layout somewhere?
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:31:08 pm »
Nice job. I take you have an HO layout somewhere?

Thanks! No I do not. I built this for a friend for xmas

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 06:16:47 am »
That is stunning.

Not a railway buff but these must be enormous in real life and would be something to see. :)
Iain

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 05:00:12 am »
Looks fabulous Mike!
  Your painting skills were always really good but I think you're taking them to new levels. Great work!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Enterprise © Bloc