Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gluing fiber optics  (Read 584 times)

Offline RADIATION_STORM

• Commander
Gluing fiber optics
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:38:22 pm »
 I  recall reading about someone asking  which glue to use for FO   inside their models and   i think this product will change alot of things  no fumes   no melting    4 second bond.
I am  sure people have seen it and thought about it  well   time is now  look it up  i am certain  it will help in many situations

Bondic Liquid Plastic Welder Starter Kit
 home page  and you can buy it almost anywhere now 
   http://www.bondicusa.com/products/bondic-the-worlds-first-liquid-plastic-welder-bond-build-fix-and-fill-almost-anything-in-seconds-your-hard-fix-for-sticky-situations-free-shipping

someone even did a post on Utube
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:21:36 am by RADIATION_STORM »

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Re: Gluing fiber optics
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:50:05 pm »
Very interesting. Lazerbond seems to be a very similar product. But is less expensive and from what the YouTube reviews and videos show, dries harder and without a yellow tint like Bondic does. This may be an interesting product for use in casting clear parts instead of using clear resins or epoxies.

I see they have some at Target for $10, so I may pick some up this evening and experiment with it.

It may be a good solution for my acetate workbee micro builds and (as the original post of this thread suggests) attaching fiber optics.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:13:07 am by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:53 pm »
That is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:07:25 pm »
I've actually tried a similar product on FO. When it is exposed to the UV light, it heats up and you can see very fine fumes. When I tried it on a 0.75mm FO, it simply melted it.

In other words, I wouldn't recommend this for gluing FO although I have been using it to clue down magnet wire, it's quicker and easier to use than epoxy and less messy than CA!

Cheers
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:09:48 pm »
Plain white glue works, as does standard gorilla glue.  DO NOT!!! use any form of cyanoacrylate, as it will embrittle the fiber and crack it. 
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Enterprise © Bloc