Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USS Voyager with Lights, weapons and whole lot of coffee.  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
USS Voyager with Lights, weapons and whole lot of coffee.
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:53:18 am »
Well it's time to grab that coffee and get to work on Voyager! Currently I am still in the planning stages but I have been drilling out the windows with my Tamiya hand drill. This drill make the job so much easier. If you do not own a Tamiya hand drill, I highly recommend it.

Currently The only item i have is the photoetc for Voyager. Items I have on order are, from Federation Models the 1:667 Delta Flyer, Speedboats and the Areowing. I will be ordering next week the Voyager board from TenaControls and a DIY base from HDAModelworkx. After I get my Voyager board from TenaControls, I'll decide what kind of pole I will use for the ship. I want to use the connecting pole from Orbital Drydock that I used on my 1:350 Enterprise. It's a really nice pole.

I may use a tip from Gadgetron_3000 and purchase one of those sound boards to play voice clips, but I'll decide on that later. Gadge, if you could refresh my memory on where you purchased that.

I have been working on Lighting placement but watching many episodes of voyager on Hulu. I have timed the blinking lights at 3 seconds. Nav lights are always on. Since the Voyager in the TV show is CGI, lighting placement changes depending on which CGI model they used. If I remember correctly, that had 3 versions of the CGI model, each one with a different level of detail for different camera shots.

For the Hull collor for Voyager is blue. I will have to make my custom color mix for these various blue colors on Voyager. I will be using Rick Sterbach notes for the colors.
Those notes are located here: http://www.ricksternbach.com/Trek/treknu.html

Until, everything starts to arrive, I will continue drilling holes and get the ship light blocked and ready to go!

Mike
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:45:58 pm by Macupar »

Offline karve

• Admiral
Re: USS Voyager with Lights, weapons and whole lot of coffee.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:23:49 am »
Good luck and have fun Mike. She's fun to work on.
 It sounds like you're going to put more bells and whistles on yours than I did on mine. Cool!
 Looking forward to watching your progress.  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:25:37 am by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:06:02 am »
Good luck with the build! ill be checking  in  regularly!

The Aerowing is a great looking addition -  very crisp detail, the delta flyer less so (although mine might just have been a bad mould).

If you use the resin Aero, Do you plan to cut out the Aerowing outline on the Voyager to leave a void where it would otherwise be?
cheers
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:08:23 am by Quarky »
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:42:10 pm »
Fun times! Good luck (speaking of bells and whistles, take a look at Ralph's RF boards at Tenacontrols). I talked to him and was able to get a custom one made for a model I'm working on, they are pretty bad***.
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »
Thanks Karve!

Quarky, I was actually thinking about that. I would have to build up the inside of the ship to do that. But as cool as it would be, I am not sure it will happen, but its still on the drawing board!

Jimmy, I am getting the Voyager board from Ralph. We have exchanged emails over the weekend about some adjustments I would like done to the board. I am just waiting to hear the final OK from him.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:38:59 pm »
I spent around 8 hours today cutting out the remainder of Voyagers windows today. That is such a long tedious task. I still need to go through and clean the windows up a little, but they are pretty much ready to go. The last parts I need to cut out are the impulse engines and to torpedo bays.

The rare torpedo bays on the ship look awful. The are very boxy when they are supposed to be more rounded. One of the pictures below compares the studio model with the plastic model. To fix this I am going to attempt to build my own torpedo bays.

Once I finish cutting the last parts, I am going to sand down the phaser banks a little bit. They are raised to high and need to be lowered slightly. After that I will begin adding the photoetch windows to the ship.

Thanks for following!

Mike

Follow my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/cmhhobbies/

Offline NCC1966

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
Your build is getting neat! I have a special interest on it because I own the same kit and am willing to light it either.

I have a couple questions...

1) Are you drilling the windows with a powered or manual drill?
2) How are you drilling the "long" windows?

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:15 pm »
Your build is getting neat! I have a special interest on it because I own the same kit and am willing to light it either.

I have a couple questions...

1) Are you drilling the windows with a powered or manual drill?
2) How are you drilling the "long" windows?

1) I am using the Tamiya Hand drill. It's a battery drill (that you have to build yoursel!) Its fast enough to get the job done but not fast enough to melt the plastic like a dremmel. Its a great device.
2) First I use my Tamiya hand drill to drill 2 small holes in each window. After that I use my xacto knife and some small files to form the shape of the holes. This is a very time consuming task.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:54:18 pm »
Today I drilled out the impulse engines and added some photoetch around the ship.
Again I used my Tamiya hand drill to drill out the engine parts then used a file to clean it up and form the holes.

I also drilled out the front torpedo tubes. I am going to stop by the hobby shop to see if I can get some ideas on how to rebuild the aft torpedoes. I am not going to cut out the kit ones until I have a completed replacement. So far the only idea I have is to get a rectangular hollow piece of styrene and round off the edges. Then just build the details around it.

Tomorrow I will probably light block the ship and attach the two engineering sections so I can start work on that. I will have to sand out that wonderful seam going down the center and decide where I want to put the pole.

Thanks for following all!

Follow my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/cmhhobbies/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:59:07 pm by Macupar »

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 04:27:08 am »
Nice work on the windows there!

She's coming along nicely!

I see what you mean about the rear torps...will be intersted to see your solution!

Cheers

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 06:17:43 pm »
Nice work on the windows there!

She's coming along nicely!

I see what you mean about the rear torps...will be intersted to see your solution!

Cheers

Thanks Quarky! I purchased some supplies today to star playing around with some ideas.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 06:52:07 pm »
A few updates today.

First, I received the 3 shuttles for Voyager.

The first one is the Type 9 "Speedboat" Shuttle. This was the standard shuttle for Voyager
The second one is the Delta Flyer which was designed and build by the Voyager crew.
The 3rd is the Aerowing. This is known as the Captains Yacht. Sadly, like the most of the other Captains Yacht, it was never utilized in the show.

I will begin working on these at a little later time.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 06:53:51 pm »
Update 2 for today:

I also added the windows for the after lounge by the impulse engines. This was a pretty easy task. Drill some holes, cute it out and add the photo etch. 

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 06:55:30 pm »
Final update for today:

I began work on the bridge today. This required a lot of work and detail to match the screen used ship.

First I needed to cut out the windows where Janeway's office and the ready room is located. Once that was completed I glued on the replacement windows from the photoetch kit.
The model kit is missing windows along decks 1 and 2. In order to create decent looking windows, i used window cutting templates from my photoech kits. You put the template in the correct location and use a pencil to mark the locations of the windows. You then remove the templates and carefully cut out the windows.

After that I needed added styrene to make the lights that are above the bridge.

Next I needed to grind down all the detail the the top of deck 2. These sections should not be raised to high. I used my dremmel to cut the plastic off and sanded it down so the surface was smooth. After that I glued on the photoetch details that that replaced the raised sections.

The next step is to add the 3 docking bays. Once that is completed, all of the prep work for the saucer section will be completed. I will then be able to move onto the engineering section to get that ready.

As always, thanks for following!!

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 03:51:39 am »
Nice clean work there...it took me ages to grind down the raised detail on top of the bridge!

I'll be interested to see how you display the resin ships!

Cheers

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Enterprise © Bloc