Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Questions for TOS 1:350  (Read 755 times)

Offline Steve613

• Ensign
Paint Questions for TOS 1:350
« on: September 02, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »
I'm sorry if these have been asked and answered...modeling isn't the only talent I need to brush up on...

1) I have been hearing a lot of opinions about the gray color for the TOS 1:350.  I'm thinking about just mixing some Createx Medium Gray (Transparent - cause I just noticed thats what I bought) with some Createx White (Opaque...of course) until I find a ratio that looks reasonable.  I have HI-RES photos I took at the Smithsonian.  Is mixing those two a good idea?  Should I get the opaque medium gray or will this work?  I'm planning on painting the insides black - to prevent bleeding of the lights

2) I bought a Master airbrush setup - I'm reading that it will take several coats with the airbrush.  Any tips on airbrush technique would be very greatly appreciated. 

3) I noticed Boyd mentioned removing the seams on the naccelles, and they were really nice.  I watched several videos and didn't see an explanation on how he did it.  In theory (cause I know nothing) I'm thinking it might involve putty/sanding or some kind of tape.  I thought you had to paint before removing the pieces from the plastic trees...but if there is sanding/taping later, how does that work with the painting?

Let me know if I'm not supposed to ask multiple questions in one post...and thank you in advance for any help. 

Offline big_daddy24

• Lieutenant
Re: Paint Questions for TOS 1:350
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »
Best advice that I can give you is to get another model to practice on before you attempt the 1/350. A model of this size takes a lot of time and money to do properly and you need to have the basic modeling skills to achieve the results that you want. Practice makes perfect, try the 1/650 scale and fill and putty the seams, putting it together will give you the confidence to go for the big one. I seen trekworks videos and built the 1/350 refit, I haven't put a model together in years,and although it came out satisfactory, it wasn't what I wanted, I knew I could do better, so now I'm building a 2nd one. I don't even want to think about the cash I've sank into these models, but it's brought me back to a hobby that I love, but I wish I would have started with something smaller. Good luck

Offline big_daddy24

• Lieutenant
Re: Paint Questions for TOS 1:350
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 07:50:08 pm »
And starfleet model Academy on YouTube builds models 100% on camera and it can teach you alot

Enterprise © Bloc