Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Restarting my ST:TMP - 1:350 Enterprise-Refit Build  (Read 7158 times)

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Richard Taylor Interview (part V)
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2017, 03:44:41 pm »
The fifth installment of a multipart interview with Richard Taylor, the lead designer at Robert Abel & Associates, who were the original special effects team hired to produce the designs of the miniatures and special effects for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, is now posted.

Richard Taylor Interview (part V)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:47:30 pm by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Richard Taylor Interview (part VI - FINAL)
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2017, 06:39:54 am »
The sixth and final installment of my multipart interview with Richard Taylor, the lead designer at Robert Abel & Associates, who were the original special effects team hired to produce the designs of the miniatures and special effects for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, is now posted.

Richard Taylor Interview (part VI)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:21:49 am by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Restarting my ST:TMP - 1:350 Enterprise-Refit Build
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2017, 07:35:21 am »
Understood, Mitch, at least from a fan-boy point of view.  ;D  And it is prudent not to argue a theoretical point. I think he was speaking strictly about the Bigiture model

AAAGGGUUAAH! One comma on this website and EVERYTHING after that is GONE!!!!! >:(

I can't remember what I said and I didn't think to save it on paper. Sorry Mitch! I'll try to remember...

I was I was eloquent, too! Dang it!!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2017, 04:08:45 pm »

AAAGGGUUAAH! One comma on this website and EVERYTHING after that is GONE!!!!! >:(

I can't remember what I said and I didn't think to save it on paper. Sorry Mitch! I'll try to remember...

I was I was eloquent, too! Dang it!!

Steve

Well now you are just teasing.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:30 am »
Just finished reading the final installment of your Taylor interview and am really in awe of the creative talent this guy has.  His impact on the foundational designs of the Star Trek universe from TMP forward are unmistakable.  It's also obvious that he offered so much more, but with the production constraints, it just wasn't possible.  Knowing the backstory as we now do, it makes us even more grateful for his contributions.

Mitch, you've done an incredible job preparing, documenting and conducting the interview with such aplomb.  It's much appreciated:)

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2017, 08:33:31 am »
It's also obvious that he offered so much more, but with the production constraints, it just wasn't possible.

I agree. Some of the things he touched on, and getting a sense of where his design thinking was coming from, breaks my heart that so much of what he and his team did and wanted to do, ended up getting compromised or cut. That said, what was eventually put on screen was amazing enough. But it does make you wonder "what might have been?"

Mitch, you've done an incredible job preparing, documenting and conducting the interview with such aplomb.  It's much appreciated:)

Thanks. I appreciate the positive feedback. I of course pursued this because of my own mania, but I sincerely hope others get something out of it. And all the other crazy rivet-counting minutia and maniacal need to work it out pieces I post all as well.

And on that note... (see next post)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:10:24 am by Lestatdelc »

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
The Human Adventure is Just Beginning...
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2017, 08:34:36 am »
Started back in on some digital illustration work I had begun as part of working on both the Enterprise cross-section studies and for the workbee schematics, before the opportunity to interview Richard Taylor came up. And that was working up new and improved human figures to use to establish ergonomic and scale/clearances in future schematics and illustrations.

The Human Adventure is Just Beginning...

--- Work in progress of a 23rd century human-form factor illustration.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:32:26 am by Lestatdelc »

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2017, 03:31:23 am »
While still coping with a case of viral bronchitis. I did manage to finally get some more work done on my Starfleet human form-factor side view illustrations. Nailing down the TMP uniform colors and applying them to the Class A (type 1) uniform illustrations as well getting the seated versions of the same figure done.

Also refined my Starfleet color coding system a bit more in the process.

Uniform Seating

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:33:50 am by Lestatdelc »

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Starting Back (or Front) In
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2017, 02:26:47 am »
After taking a long hiatus from working on my Refit-Enterprise project materials since April, I have dug out from all the accumulated stuff on my home-office desk and workspace. I began roughing out that last of the human form illustrations, which will consist of a re-worked front view.

Starting Back (or Front) In

--- Beginning my next human form-factor illustration.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:28:21 am by Lestatdelc »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2017, 07:19:09 am »
Welcome Back, Mitch!

Glad to see you're back at it! I love the graphics!

But, and I'm just curious, are you working to build the Refit in Cyber 3-D? Is that why you are spending time on the human figures?

No critique here, just trying to wrap my pea brain around what you're doing!

Again, love the graphics so far!

Keep 'er going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2017, 01:51:02 pm »
Thanks Steve.

The short answer is I am building the refit (and the support craft such as the work bees and travel pods) in cyber 3D, 2D "blueprints" down to the in-scale bolt and rivet, and then accurizing/detailing parts (as needed) in physical 3D printing and fabrication at the 1:350 scale for my Polar Light kits (I now own two kits).

My goal

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Lounging Around the Set
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2017, 11:46:16 pm »
I finally unpacked the original movie blueprint production drawings I won at auction back at the end of April and began photographing them. These were construction plans produced for both Star Trek: The Motion Picture (ST:TMP) and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan from which the live-action sets where constructed from. In addition there were two drawings produced by Robert Abel & Associates, for Magicam to work from in order to build the original U.S.S. Enterprise filming model.

The first one, which I did some very minor clean-up in Photoshop to (mainly straightening out the image and doing some minor color adjustments to color balance it to its actual colors), was the plan view of Officer's Lounge set/model on the Enterprise for ST:TMP. Read a more lengthy account of it all on my blog:

Lounging Around the Set

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:54:24 pm by Lestatdelc »

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:20 am »
Mitch, this is pretty cool having the original plans -- all in all, how many blueprints did you get at auction?  I hope you're able to retrieve the actual ones you bid on!  Glad to have you back on the forum.  It's an interesting journey you're taking us on;)

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2017, 12:07:28 pm »
...all in all, how many blueprints did you get at auction?

I won a total of 7 of them I had bid on 3 others but because in the last 30 mins, I got into a bidding war over them and in the middle of it my mouse batteries dies and they closed on me while I was scrambling to get new batteries.

I try to find the silver lining in that it probably saved me a few grand, but still... grrr.

I hope you're able to retrieve the actual ones you bid on!

Me too. I heard back via email from the GM of The Prop Store last night that they would investigate the issue on Monday and get back to me. So we shall see.

Glad to have you back on the forum.  It's an interesting journey you're taking us on;)

Thanks and thanks.

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Lounging On My Side
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »
This afternoon I did some clean-up work in Photoshop on the companion blueprint  of Officer's Lounge set/model on the Enterprise for ST:TMP. This is the second set of two drawings and is of three elevation views of the lounge. You can see the blueprint image and read more about it on my blog.

Lounging On My Side

Enterprise © Bloc