Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Restarting my ST:TMP - 1:350 Enterprise-Refit Build  (Read 6551 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: Restarting my ST:TMP - 1:350 Enterprise-Refit Build
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:08 am »
Mitch, you can bid on these things (blueprints)?! WOW!

But, I am curious, when you say "clean up" on blueprints, what do you mean exactly? I can guess, but I'd rather hear what you do.

Thanks and stay thirsty, my friend!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2017, 02:05:21 am »
Mitch, you can bid on these things (blueprints)?! WOW!

Hey Steve,

Well, the Prop Store is a company that deals in movie and television props, costumes and memorabilia. They have an online store but mainly they hold auctions (sort of an online Christie's Auction House affair) every month or two. Usually it is around a specific genre, set of films or television shows, or some such thing. Whenever they have a collection of stuff from a studio, or enough related items to put up as a coherent auction.

Back in April of this year, they had a Star Wars and Star Trek blueprint drawings auction which, as the name implied, were production blueprint drawings made by 20th Century Fox/Lucasfilms and Paramount Pictures (respectively) for various Star Wars films (including the THE original one) and several of the Star Trek Films, Star Trek: The Motion Picture through Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

Here is a link to the online auction catalog of the lots that were in that auction.

There was some pretty amazing stuff, particularly if you a big Star Wars fan, like the original construction blueprints of R2D2, the original Millennium Falcon set, etc.

But, I am curious, when you say "clean up" on blueprints, what do you mean exactly? I can guess, but I'd rather hear what you do.

Well for the Officer's Lounge blueprints, I modified the image and corrected the optical distortion from the camera lens to make the lines so they are squared and non-distorted, fixed the color balance and contrast, etc. The goal is to get these to look close to how they look in their current state. That said, after calling and emailing several commercial photo reproduction companies around town, I dropped all 7 of the items off with one who specializes in photographing and digitizing artwork to have these professionally transferred into highly accurate digital images. I could only effectively do so much with my digital SLR camera without tripod or proper studio lighting, etc.

So the two I posted my images of, I will likely replace with the professionally photographed ones, as well as all the others.

My goal then is to produce digital illustrations in Adobe Illustrator and have perfect, digitally re-drawn, 2D versions of these. This will then be the basis to use and port into and produce digital 3D models of them.

From there I will use those as a basis for scaled physical fabrication (where applicable) in 1:350 scale. Mainly the officer's lounge.

Those digital 3D models as well as the 2D artwork will got towards making a full interior and exterior set of ship schematics. In the end, I want to make all of this available to everyone via my blog/website for fan, modelers use.

After all of that the original blueprints from the auction I will frame and hang them in my geek den.

But I will be posting the high-resolution scans of the originals of them online so everyone, Trek fans and movie buffs alike, can at least have virtual access to them.

While they are nowhere near the marque items as the actual filming miniatures of say the Refit-Enterprise, I won't be pulling a Jeff Bezos (who owns that one) and have it sequestered away from the fans.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:23:59 pm by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2017, 07:48:36 am »
Thanks for the explanation, Mitch! In would never have thought to correct them!

Of course I would hang those blueprints in my geek den, too!

Keep going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, Mitch! In would never have thought to correct them!

Thanks Steve.

To be clear, the "correcting" would be Photoshop corrections to the digital images of the blueprints to make them look like they do to the naked eye.

And of course the 2D (and 3D) re-drawing and modeling from them will be "perfect" in that computer illustration makes things straight and consistent in line quality, etc.

I also have found that some of the hand written dimensions do not match what is drawn. In several instances some of the stated dimensions are simply "wrong" for the dimension of the element as drawn in the scale of the drawing itself. For example, if you look really close at the image of the plan view Officer's Lounge drawing, the stated dimension of where the opening in the wall from the centerline is not correct. Nor is the distance for the centerline to the center point for the radius of the planter curvature correct.

You can see this in the screenshot of the work-in-progress drawing I am doing in Adobe Illustrator:

--- Adobe Illustrator work-in-progress digital 2D drawing based off original blueprint. (click to enlarge)

If you look at the distance from the centerline in the blueprint to the center-point of the planter retaining wall curvature, it is listed as 16.74 inches but if it is drawn to that length, it falls pretty short (the upper line shown in magenta). The actual distance appears to be 18.825 inches (shown in green).

Likewise, the distance from centerline to the left side of the door frame of the opening leading from the upper seating area to the bar area to the left, is listed as 12.1 inches (the second lower magenta line). Which is obviously not even close. First it is a quite a bit longer than the line that is listed as 16.74 so you know right off the bat that is not correct. It appears the correct length is about 24.525 (shown in green).

Others seem pretty spot on, such as the ones showing the distance form centerline to the base of the wall separating the upper seating areas and the aft lower window seating and planter area (the lines shown in cyan).

Anyway, there are quite a few of those types of inconsistencies. Most are just slightly off, but some (like the ones I mention above) are rather glaring. It definitely leaves me in the awkward position to make judgment calls on what to do on a case-by-case basis.

I am leaning going with following the drawing itself, and simply ignore the listed dimensions when they don't match the drawn elements and put in the actual ones as drawn to match the original drawing itself.

Down the road, I will also have to work out what to do about the overall scale in relation to the rest of the ship's components and overall drawings. This is due to being a 1:4 scale drawing to produce a miniature set, which was used for the couple of FX shots in the film where you are inside the lounge looking out of the aft windows as Spock's long-range Vulcan shuttle moves to dock with the Bridge docking ports above the lounge.

The issue is I don't have any data or markings to indicate what the scale of the finished officer's lounge model is in relation to the live-action set pieces and "real life". I will most likely use the window dimensions as well as the dotted "hull seam" line in the original drawing and match it the exterior blueprint drawings. In theory that should yield a relatively "accurate" scale-up. But it would nice to know what the intended scale of the filming miniature of the lounge was.

Anyway, another level down the rabbit-hole as it were. (wry grin)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:58:09 pm by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2017, 07:43:23 am »

Others seem pretty spot on, such as the ones showing the distance form centerline to the base of the wall separating the upper seating areas and the aft lower window seating and planter area (the lines shown in cyan).

Anyway, there are quite a few of those types of inconsistencies. Most are just slightly off, but some (like the ones I mention above) are rather glaring. It definitely leaves me in the awkward position to make judgment calls on what to do on a case-by-case basis. I am leaning going with following the drawing itself, and simply ignore the listed dimensions when they don't match the drawn elements and put in the actual ones as drawn to match the original drawing itself.

Kirk: Mr. Spock, have you accounted for the variable inconsistencies in the blueprint measurements and your actual measurements as determined in the Adobe program?

Spock: Mr. Scott cannot give me exact figures, Admiral, so... I will make a guess.

Kirk: A guess? You, Spock? That's extraordinary!

Spock: [to Dr. McCoy] I don't think he understands.

McCoy: No, Spock. He means that he feels safer about your guesses than most other people's facts.

Spock: Then you're saying...

[pause]

Spock: It is a compliment?

McCoy: It is.

Spock: Ah. Then, I will try to make the best guess I can.

McCoy: Please do.

Press on, Spock!

I love it!

Steve
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:48:02 am by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Playing Koi
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2017, 02:20:42 pm »
Did some more work on the Officer's Lounge re-drawing this evening and last. I have pretty much completed the details of the starboard-side planter area. This is a reinterpretation of the way the plants, the soil and even the 23rd century koi fish (yes there are fish in the original blueprint drawing) as well as other decorative garden area elements are drawn.

Playing Koi

Enterprise © Bloc