Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vulcan Shuttle Surak  (Read 4088 times)

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
Re: Vulcan Shuttle Surak
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 02:51:11 pm »
Thanks a lot for all of the support guys!!! I was finally able to get all of my masking issues with the docking collar resolved, thanks to all of you! I used a combination of 3M blue tape, 3M green automotive tape, and a stencil I made out of decal backing paper.

Then I airbrushed it with some Tamiya black paint.

Then I removed the tape, and the result came out better than I expected. :)

Thanks a lot to all of you guys who offered suggestions and support, I couldn't have done it without you! I hope to have more progress son, and I will post more then.

Have a great weekend!

Tom

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 10:48:22 pm »
Stencil was a great idea.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 05:34:20 am »
Looking good, Tom! You did an excellent job masking out and painting the docking port.

Just curious, is this a paint coat for some other color, or did I miss it in a previous post?

Keep going as this is very interesting build!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 11:58:38 pm »
Thanks a lot guys!!!!

If I understand your question correctly Steve, I think it's because I took the picture in a different light that the base coat may look a little different from the earlier ones. Otherwise I didn't change any of the color. I'll post more when I have some more progress.

Have a great week!

Tom

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 09:34:09 pm »
I need someone's opinion again on the next step of painting. I'm some of the other detailing by using the paint guide in the instructions of the Round 2 version. I mixed light gray and purple and painted the part. I just want to know if it looks too dark to any of you because it kind of does to me. If it does I'm going to paint it Light Ghost Gray instead. I'm posting a couple of pictures, please feel free to tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. The black speckling has already been corrected.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 11:40:47 pm »
it does look a bit too dark to me...

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 12:33:44 pm »
Yep, I totally agree. I'm on to plan B then. Thank you Sir!!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 12:38:30 pm »
Yeah, Tom, I agree with Starsiegeplayer, they are a bit too dark!

I just wanna understand - why does the hull look pink? is that the shade of the plastic or is that a custom paint mix?

Thanks!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 01:46:30 pm »
That's because it is supposed to be pink.
The studio model was pepto bismal pink
with panels in various shade of blue lightly dusted on
giving it a purple look when completed.

This is looking great.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 08:46:10 pm »
Yup yup... Probert put an impressive amount of thought into the paint scheme. 

Here's a photo of the studio model

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 09:57:49 am »
I would never have guessed.  :-[

Apologies.

Steve

Offline Zuckuss

• Lieutenant
    • Rossi Replicas
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 02:41:43 pm »
The shuttle doesn't look pink to me in the movie.  That's a really strange color to use for a special effect miniature. 

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 03:34:27 pm »
The shuttle doesn't look pink to me in the movie.  That's a really strange color to use for a special effect miniature.

That's because of the way to was lit and the color correcting done in post-production. Which went against the actual color-scheme that was purposely designed and painted onto the filming model. Andrew Probert who was one of the people who designed the shuttle and was involved in the painting of it talks at length about it in an old issue of Starlog Magazine's Starlog photo guidebook Special Effects .

From over at the Memory Alpha wiki on the Vulcan Shuttle:

The studio model of the Surak was eventually built at Magicam/Astra Image Corporation. Its primary builder was Magicam's Tom Pahk. (American Cinematographer, February 1980, pp. 152, 179) The model was filmed on one of Douglas Trumbull's stages at Future General Corporation. (The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, p. 206)

The paint scheme on the model was not only designed, but also partly applied by Probert himself, as he added weathering, "The Robert Abel [sic] model builders did an amazing job, from fabrication to painting. After each was all finished & documented, I got to throw in my two cents worth by adding 'weathering' to a couple of the miniatures." As to the paint scheme Probert has further stated, "So, when considering a color for the Vulcan-based long-range shuttle, I knew that I did not want yet another boring-grey space ship. But I did consider what grey would like in the red Vulcan atmosphere, and a kind of magenta or grey-pink color came to mind. That ended up being our base color, accented with various shades of muted purples. That might sound a bit odd at first, but it really looked great." (Starlog photo guidebook Special Effects, vol. 5, pp. 95-96) Unfortunately for Probert, his carefully designed color scheme for the Surak did not come across on-screen as intended. In its very first appearance, due to post-production editing, it had a coppery appearance, very much reinforced by the depictions on period merchandise, such as the box art of the AMT model kit no. S972, and the 1979 Star Trek: The Motion Picture trading cards set from Topps. Even the DVD Director's Edition of 2001 only partially corrected the color scheme of the Surak.

When confronted with the footage, Probert himself was aghast, "Unfortunately, in the movie business, a selectively "collaborative" medium, once a miniature leaves the influence of its designer it is subject to indiscreet "editing" by those who are uncomfortable when confronted with thinking that rises beyond mediocrity. Consequently, someone in that group made the decision to filter out or neutralize our unconventional coloring in favor of the more "acceptable" shades of boring-grey; something that would come up again. [Note: Probert is referring to the color scheme he designed for the six-foot Enterprise-D model.] (Starlog photo guidebook Special Effects, vol. 5, p. 96) Having made the remark in 1996, Probert's anger had not abated in 2009 when he further commented, "More like shocked... and then angry at how supposedly "creative" people can be so un-creative at times.", further affirming his conviction that it was all done on purpose, "These people can shoot every color there is, so, yes, it was intentionally compromised... providing another example of that Hollywood "collaboration" process."

The model of the long-range shuttle was reported to have been on the set for the Starfleet Officer's Lounge in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, though it does not appear on screen in that film. (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Special Edition) DVD-special feature, "text commentary")

The actual studio model itself has not been present in either the 2006-2008 wave of Star Trek auctions, nor the various exhibition tours of the 1990s and the 2000s. Still, considered a popular design, the model has been released by the studio in the 1980s for public relations purposes, appearing in various period conventions. The very last time the model was sighted was at the last Equicon '88 Science Fiction Convention of 1-3 April 1988, held in Los Angeles. It has been missing ever since, rumored to have been stolen on that occasion.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:06:18 pm by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 01:59:18 pm »
Thanks again for all of the replies guys!!! Sorry, I've been off of the grid for about a week taking care of some personal business, and haven't been checking the boards. I've actually repainted part of it twice lightening up the colors a bit, and I think I've got it pretty close to what I'm looking for. When I'm done repainting everything I will have some pics to post to get your opinions once again. I appreciate all of your help so far, I couldn't have gotten to this point without you.

Have a good week!

Tom

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 07:38:54 am »
What?! Ooooo! No pictures?!  ;)

Alright, I guess I'll just have to wait, Tom!

Keep 'er going!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc