Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vulcan Shuttle Surak  (Read 4500 times)

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
Re: Vulcan Shuttle Surak
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 11:45:09 am »
Thanks Steve!

Sorry about the pictues though.:( I did take some pictures but, I can't seen to get them loaded onto photobucket. I've tried logging in the last couple of days, I think they're having server issues. As soon as they're back up and running properly I'll get some pictures up. One last detail to paint, and it should be ready for decals.

Tom

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 08:51:48 pm »
I was finally able to get some nice pictures taken after the final repaint. Thanks to all of your feedback I repainted the purple details in a lighter coat plus the doors on the docking collar. I hope this looks much better, and that you think it looks good too. Here are a few pictures on my progress so far. Just a little touch up and it's ready for decals.

Have a great week!

Tom

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:35 am »
Looking good!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2016, 06:58:24 am »
Man, that looks great, Tom!!

Keep 'er going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 11:25:26 am »
Thank you starsiegeplayer and Steve!! I'm going to paint and touch up a couple more areas, and hopefully get the decals on next week. I'll post more pictures after the final paint is completed.

tom

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 09:24:27 pm »
Well, here it is with all the details painted and touch-ups completed! :) I painted the four patches underneath the nacelles Model Master armor sand, and the front tips Tamiya purple with a touch Tamiya light gray mixed in. These I wanted more on the dark purple side, and I like the color a lot! Here's the last picture before I start with the decals. Probably won't do any more this week.

Have a great week!

Tom

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »
I finally had a chance to get some decals put over the last two weeks. The decals for this kit are in a word....HORRIBLE!!! Delicate doesn't even begin to describe what these are. As you try to apply them they sometimes disintegrate on your fingers, and if they don't then, they will if you try putting setting solution on them. The best way is to put on one decal let it set and dry completely before moving on to the next one, and even then try not to contact the surface anywhere to avoid pulling a decal that may not be completely dry. Just to be safe I ordered to complete sets from Round 2, and I sure do need them.  I'm waiting for the second set to arrive to get it done. Here is a picture of my progress to this point. Wish me luck the rest of the way.

Tom

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
Yes, these are NOT fun. :'(

What you have down looks good, though.

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 09:43:47 pm »
Thank you very kindly Sir! :)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »
Tom, if you are getting a second set of decals, you might want to think about trying Testor's decal bonder on them. 

Decal bonder is very thinned down version of Testors Glosscote lacquer.  The primary purpose of it is to seal printed decals with a thin layer of transparent cellulose. However, it can also be used to thicken and strengthen decals by spraying a coat or two over the entire sheet and letting it dry thouroughly before cutting the individual decals out and soaking them.   I used it on my Excelsior build (http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=4049.60).

These Vulcan shuttle decals will still be brittle, but less brittle.   It will also make them a bit stiffer, so it could make it more difficult to get them to wrap around angles and bends.

Just be aware, if you do this the entire sheet will have the thin cellulose covering, and you will need to slice the decals out with a sharp hobby knife before putting them in water.

Something to think about.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:35:28 pm by starsiegeplayer »

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2016, 12:16:41 am »
Thanks a lotstarsiegeplayer!! Someone also recommended Microscale liquid decal film which sounds like it works about the same. I'm going to scan them also so I can make more sets on hopefully a stronger type of decal film. Then maybe I can make mistakes to my hearts desire.lol! I took a look at your Enterprise-B, and it looks fabulous!!!! Very nice work. I was reading what you had to say about it, and I think it still looks great just the same. :) I'm going to put this one aside for now to finish another project, then the wife and I are going to travel for a couple of weeks.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2016, 07:41:18 am »
Happy Thanksgiving, Tom!

This is looking fantastic! Now that you have the rest of the paint scheme in place, the pink now seems more like a desert tan! Incredible!

This is an excellent build!

Can't wait to see it on display!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2016, 08:34:08 pm »
Thank you Steve!!

The decals do change the over all color once their on. I was skeptical of that mauve color at first but like you said it looks so much different now and I'm excited to get it done. Unfortunately, I have to set it aside and finish another project that I'm sending overseas for my stepson's future father-in-law who is a fellow Trekker. It's a 1/1000 TOS Enterprise that I'm sharing on another thread. I hope to get right back at this one right after Christmas.

Tom

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 03:10:07 pm »
I've shelved this project for over a year and now I am finally ready to put the finishing touches on it. Since I last posted I've stripped the warp sled down to the plastic and repainted everything on it including the RCS thrusters. I cut out the little black rectangles from the decals and put them over the painted areas. After reading James Small's build up article for Round 2 I bought Microscale liquid decal film which did wonders for these decals. Made them less fragile and a little easier to handle. It's pretty much done with the exception of three decals that did not survive, and I am hoping to have them very soon. Here are a few pictures of where I am at now, I hope you like them.

Have a good day!

Tom

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 07:38:07 am »
Hey, Tom!

Good to see you pick this one up again!

Still looking good! Very nice detail and decal work.

Anything else on the bench?

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc