Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New guy from Seattle  (Read 505 times)

Offline Ruprekt

• Ensign
  • Not Mother?
New guy from Seattle
« on: September 28, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »
I'm a long time figure model builder looking to switch gears and build the 1/350 refit. I'm definitely looking at painting this as a learning experience since I've used acrylics and not enamels and lacquers before. Been watching Boyd's YouTube build of the refit and learned a few things already. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you guys! 8)
Sir, may I take your Trident?

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
Re: New guy from Seattle
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:00 pm »
Good luck with the Refit!  Welcome!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:41:00 pm »
Right on! Welcome aboard, and don't hesitate to ask questions here someone will have answers guaranteed. You wont find a more respectful easy going group of modelers out there than you will here. The only real thing to keep in mind is post your progress pics, we love seeing them! Again, welcome!
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:25:45 pm »
Welcome to the Boards, Ruprekt!

There are a few figure builds going on right now, if you are interested! Would love to see some of your work, if you're willing!

Don't be afraid to ask questions here (I ask more than my fair share!) as the people here have great knowledge and experience to freely share!

Good luck on the build and have fun!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Ruprekt

• Ensign
  • Not Mother?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:14:09 pm »

There are a few figure builds going on right now, if you are interested! Would love to see some of your work, if you're willing!

Don't be afraid to ask questions here (I ask more than my fair share!) as the people here have great knowledge and experience to freely share!

Good luck on the build and have fun!

Steve

Be happy to show some of my work. Where are the figure builds you're speaking of, and where would I post my work?
Sir, may I take your Trident?

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 06:37:51 pm »
Welcome and be sure to share your progress with us as you go.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 11:27:53 pm »
Be happy to show some of my work. Where are the figure builds you're speaking of, and where would I post my work?

There are a bunch floating around in the Members Work in Progress WIP thread board, and in the Model Gallery thread board. There is also a board to post all things non-scifi related. SFMA has been around for a few years now, and there are tons of things hiding out in the boards at this point. Good luck and happy hunting!
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:46:39 am »

LOL. The screen name and avatar are awesome. That scene never fails to get me in tears of laughter.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:49:15 pm »
Welcome!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 06:28:36 pm »
Welcome Ruprekt! Jump right in and fire away with the questions when you need to. The Refit is a very popular kit to build, but also a very challenging kit. Plenty of advice and encouragement is always available here.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 06:28:26 am »
Welcome aboard Ruprekt! Jump right in and have fun.....ask any question's you need to. Plenty of us have done the refit and we have felt what you will feel.....all the way along.
  One small piece of advice. When you approach the big guy, don't try and look at the big picture all at once. It'll drive you crazy. Take one thing at a time.....the arboretum, the shuttle bay, etc. Treat each one as a project of its own. Take pride in how great it looks, then move on the next thing. Before you know it you'll find that you've made big progress in that big picture!  ;)

Oh...and post lost of pictures!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 01:52:07 pm »
Welcome, and I look forward to seeing the progress of your refit!!

Tom

Enterprise © Bloc