Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/350 Refit - Let the journey begin!  (Read 7590 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: 1/350 Refit - Let the journey begin!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 07:17:55 am »
And that's why evolution has given us ten fingers! We always have spares. ;)

Hope you complete your build fully intact and breathing. 8)
Iain

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:13:23 pm »
Progress made today. All of the photoetch has been installed in the hanger bay. First time using it and I am a fan! Adds a lot of detail...

Base coat applied. I am looking to color the hanger bay like it appeared in TMP. Pretty sure I have the colors needed.

Working out how I want to light it. Was going to use LED tape but didn't seem to give enough light coverage through the clear parts in the ceiling. going to experiment with other options.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 07:17:37 am »
Glad to see you're back at it after your injury, ghostrider!

This is looking good!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 01:11:32 am »

After hand painting parts of the hanger bay I went onto amazon and ordered an airbrush...its time! Thanks to all of you that were recommending different ones to look at. Picking up the set that comes with a compressor and three brushes for $119. I know its not going to be the end all airbrush...but its a start and I have never used one before. Have a lot of learning to do.

So on to the progress...

The hanger bay is painted and I did a quick and dirty assembly of it to do a light test with SMDs and LED tape. It actually doesn't look to bad. Tomorrow night I am going to put on the decals and paint up some shuttles. Also need to put together the cargo crates in the PE set.

Offline Ruprekt

• Ensign
  • Not Mother?
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 01:55:33 am »

After hand painting parts of the hanger bay I went onto amazon and ordered an airbrush...its time! Thanks to all of you that were recommending different ones to look at. Picking up the set that comes with a compressor and three brushes for $119. I know its not going to be the end all airbrush...but its a start and I have never used one before. Have a lot of learning to do.

So on to the progress...

The hanger bay is painted and I did a quick and dirty assembly of it to do a light test with SMDs and LED tape. It actually doesn't look to bad. Tomorrow night I am going to put on the decals and paint up some shuttles. Also need to put together the cargo crates in the PE set.

3 Airbrushes and a compressor for $119? Caveat emptor!
Sir, may I take your Trident?

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 07:47:01 am »
That shuttle bay looks great so far.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 01:01:31 pm »
Oh I know that the AB I ordered is a cheap Chinese knockoff but it gets me in the door. Later on down the road when I can swing a better AB I will at least have the compressor.

All these years working for the navy and marine corps is shining through. I keep calling the shuttle bay a hanger bay! Lol

Offline Epyonkiller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 04:25:44 pm »
Looks great so far, GR...keep it up!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 05:47:09 am »
Hey, GR, I did the same as you and bought a "less expensive" compressor and AB from Amazon, too.

I didn't want to learn on a "more expensive" set up only to wreck it and be out the monies; so I got a learning kit. I was comforted to find out the Boyd Compton, our own Trekworks professional, used a Habor Frieght "less expensive" AB for several years and his excellent results speak for themselves. It was only last weekend that a viewer set him an Iwata AB as a gift for his 100th episode. So cheap doesn't mean bad results, it only means you're learning.

Best of luck!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 03:13:07 pm »
Hey Steve, great minds think alike!

Did you get the master AB series? That's what I ordered. Should be at the house when I get off work tonight so I am looking forward to cracking the seal on it.

What paints do you use with yours?

I have sooooo much to learn!

Also going to build an indoor paint booth... I'm sure the wife is going to enjoy that! Lol

If I can get half the results with mine that Boyd has gotten with his harbor freight AB I will be happy!

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 11:35:18 pm »
I received my compressor and ABs today. A day late but its here. A quick test on all three brushes went well.

I know this will truly add alot to my refit and anything I build in the future.

Now I just need to learn how to use it properly.

The set I bought came with 5 bottles of acrylic paint so that's where I am going to start. I have been using enamels on all of my models, but kind of like the thought of using acrylics for the ease of cleanup. Anyone else use acrylics?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 09:54:04 am »
Did you get the master AB series? That's what I ordered.

What paints do you use?

Yep! I got the Masters AB package! So far, no issues!

I also use the Testor's Model Masters brand. Again, as a learning starting place. Don't wanna use the expensive stuff until I have a few more builds under my belt!

Remember, no question is too small to ask here on the boards! The real Masters are great at sharing the info and experience!

Good luck!

Steve

Offline dannyk

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:44 pm »
Hi Ghostrider,
Congratulations on graduating into airbrush academy!  ;) You are going to love the giant step up in your paint quality.

Yes, by all means use acrylics, especially if you are painting in the house! You can wash everything out with water before anyone finds out and moves you outside....

And don't worry about the quality, just keep it clean.  I'll share a little secret with you: I painted my refit, including all the aztecs, with a single action airbrush!

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 11:55:03 pm »
Thanks guys.

I used the AB to repaint some parts in the shuttle bay... absolutely love it!

Almost complete with the shuttle bay. Not sure I like the decals with this model, one of the shuttle bay floor decals shattered horribly. I truly hope the highly visible ones are better than that one.

Going to paint and place the shuttles tomorrow. I bought some Tamiya 1/350 navy crew to place in the shuttle bay. I have decided that I am painting them in the WoK uniform colors... can't stand the motion picture ones.

Still working on the lighting plan.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 12:56:49 pm »
Yeah, once you AB, it's hard to go back! I just wish they had quick change paint cups!

Looking good, GR! Don't forget pictures!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc