Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/350 Refit - Let the journey begin!  (Read 5989 times)

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
Re: 1/350 Refit - Let the journey begin!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 01:59:18 am »
Shuttle bay complete....

Ordered 8 pin aviation connectors to build the stand. Enables me to disconnect the Enterprise from the base that I am planning. I am going to need to move the mount aft, seems like a lot of weight on the deflector dish. Looks like I have a large hole to fill. Lighting plan is moving forward. 8 pins through the mount should be enough to get the job done.

I was planning on placing a shuttle and some work bees in the shuttle bay...May still. Just liking the look of it empty.

On to some pictures...

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 03:22:40 am »
Very nice job! Shuttle bay looks great.  ;)
  Yes with moving the mount back your ship will be front heavy. It happened to most of us. Try and keep your saucer as light as possible...hard to do though with so much going on in there. The other thing you can do is plan on compensating with a bit of weight in the back end. Now is the time to start thinking about that, not after its all together (like I did)    ::)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 12:10:01 am »
So...The aviation connectors I ordered had an odd sized backshell that did not fit the threaded rod I had purchased for the mount.

I work part time at Home Depot...so figured there had to be something there that I could use...something. I admit I really didnt have alot of options and what I ended up with will do the job nicely. Copper pipe, shark bite plumbing connector and epoxy... pretty darn solid.

Only progress made in the last couple days... working 7 days a week really puts a crimp in the model building.

I noticed after taking the picture that the evil knife that wounded me was in the picture...I hate that knife...LOL

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 03:19:54 pm »
I noticed after taking the picture that the evil knife that wounded me was in the picture...I hate that knife...LOL

I can see the evil grin on it's face from here!
I do believe that if it was me that knife would be in pieces at the dump by now!  ;D
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 02:32:55 pm »
I'm torn...

For the aztec masks... Orbital dry dock or aztec dummy? What has been used with the best results?

Is it possible to use acrylic pearl paints to do the aztec details? If so what brand do you all recommend?

I just got trek modelers paint guide and it is very Informative!

Orbital drydocks masks are a full$30 dollars more than aztec dummies... Worth it?

Thanks guys!

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »
Orbital drydocks masks are a full$30 dollars more than aztec dummies... Worth it?

I have no experience with the Aztec Dummy set, but the OD set is very complete. In addition to the aztecs it has masks for the stongback & deflector and the large registry number on the top of the saucer. If you plan to use decals for those areas then those features will be irrelevant to you.

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 12:02:08 pm »
I ordered the masks from orbital dry dock last night. Looking forward to getting them.

Work has really gotten in the way this week so hoping to get back at it in the next couple of days.

I also ordered the polytranspar paints. I am getting the acrylic as I would have to paint outside using the laquer and that is just not feasible. I am hoping that I get close to the same results you all are.

Offline Epyonkiller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:59 pm »
Good luck!  Can't wait to see the results!

Awesome shuttlebay btw!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 07:22:40 am »
The Hangerdeck is looking sweet, GR!

Good luck with the painting masks! I hope the work slows down a bit - not so much as you have ALOT of time, but a bit!  ;D

I really wanna see what your gonna do with this build!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 11:12:05 am »
Thanks guys!

I work 7 days a week. 5 days for the Marine Corps and 2 for Home Depot... Never a dull moment. Then of course there is the wife and kids. So I squeak in model time when I can.

So I think its time to start on the saucer... Light block and begin the LED installation...Hopefully starting back at it tonight. Also need to find that Dremel tool that my wife stashed away for safe keeping...LOL..I asked about it and she said its in a box somewhere. Wish me luck!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 11:22:38 am »
Thanks for your Service, GR!

There are a few of us here!

Good  luck on the divided time!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 04:08:04 pm »
Thank you for yours as well!

My active duty days are far behind me... Spent my time in the sand box in '90-'91. Now im a contractor. I do miss it sometimes.

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 01:20:15 am »
I decided to install the arboretum windows and drilled out the hole for the mounting connector. Ran into the first rub... the connector was sticking up too far to allow the arboretum to sit down where it should... used an additional nut to space it out a bit and it now fits.

Having a bit of a tough time figuring out how to run the wire so its not seen.

Building this thing is all about solving one problem after another.

The plan was to light block the saucer... but had to work late again tonight so that went out the window.

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 01:08:39 pm »
Pictures from last night. Was not able to get a lot done but felt like I had to do something.

Slow progress is still progress.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »
that shuttle bay is some crazy tiny detail!  looking great!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Enterprise © Bloc