Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nope....Not Another Refit...It's The 1/350 TOS Enterprise!  (Read 7012 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
Nope....Not Another Refit...It's The 1/350 TOS Enterprise!
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:09:25 pm »
EDITED NOTE JULY 2017
Hi guys and gals....
  I'm just giving this thread a bump to be able to find it easily for a while. Now that PHOTO-lets-charge-em-thru-the-nose-and-if-they-don't-like-it-BUCK-IT has stuck it to us all who used it I've switched to Flickr. I've figured out how to link the pictures from there to here so I'm starting the long process of changing the links. It will take a while.  ::)

Hi All
  Well I've decided that it's finally time to start my 1/350 TOS Enterprise, which I have had in my stash for about two years.
 After seeing the videos of the refurbished Enterprise sitting pretty at the Smithsonian I was inspired to give it a go and see what I can do. I'm really looking forward to it.
  I've got the first main set of photo etch already and I have the second set on order for the pylons and chiller grills. I've also got the electronics on order from tena controls for the ship, which will include the silent LED Bussard Collectors.
  Lastly, I have the smooth replacement saucer on pre-order from Culttv man.. so I'm getting things set up nicely.

As beautiful as the Refit Enterprise is and as happy as I am with how mine turned out, THIS  is the ship I dreamed of flying away in when I was a kid ...(OK I still do  ::) ) ...  this is the one!

So ....  here first is the obligatory pre-assembly picture ....

001 Kit by Kev C, on Flickr

I guess the first order of business is to have a go at the bridge ....
002 Bridge 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

Holy Geez .....this thing makes the arboretum in the refit look the size of a flippin' football field!   :o
003 Bridge 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll be able to do a decent enough job on this build so I can show you all some interesting pictures along the way. Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:14:53 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Epyonkiller

• Lieutenant
Re: Nope....Not Another Refit...It's The 1/350 TOS Enterprise!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »
Woot!

I hope to get the re-pop of this kit when they hit the shelves!  Can't wait to see your take on her.

That bridge is tiny...btw 😳

Online AlW

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 05:36:09 pm »
Sounds like you're ready to go, Kevin!  I had a feeling you'd be starting an epic build after your Catwoman romance ;)

Good luck with it!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:12:02 pm by karve »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:42:13 pm »
Oh goody! Can't wait to see the journey Kevin. This will be fun to watch. Am I being redundant? :)
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 07:06:46 pm »
Wooooohoooooooo! Yeah, BABY!!!!!

You KNOW I'm gonna follow this one closely!!!

Ooooooo Yeeeeaaaah!

And good luck on the build, Kevin!!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline dannyk

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 11:20:46 am »
Hey Karve,
Yep, this was the ship for me, too!  Lots of great memories. I couldn't wait to build the Enterprise, until I sneaked a peek at the little AMT model at the hobby store one day long ago.  There was no way I would spend the 5 or 6 dollars on what, 10 pieces of plastic?  :)  So disappointed, and there was no way I could ever make that little toy looking thing into what I saw on TV, especially with my tools: one hobby knife and a paint brush. Rather build a car or a plane back then.

I hope you find this one was worth the wait!  Will be watching!  :)

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 03:08:56 pm »
Looking forward to watching your build and progress on this one.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 03:39:37 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys I appreciate it!

I got a start at the bridge today. As usual I haven't got a clue what I'm doing but that's never stopped me before .. I'm just making it up as I go along  ::)

The first thing I did was remove the plastic version of the rails that go around the middle of the bridge. Not many guys do this because the photo etch replacements are very very  delicate. Since I don't know any better I'm going to try using them.  :)

004 Bridge rails off by Kev C, on Flickr

Next I got some of the photo etch parts in place to test the fits and get a sense of how I might approach the displays. Unfortunately this kit does not come with a clear bridge so I'm stuck with the opaque one. I'd like to have the displays lit in some way so I toyed with shining some light around it. I think it will be acceptable without my having to cut any plastic out. It also looks like the rails will be OK once I put them in properly and get them glued in place.

005 test fit photo etch by Kev C, on Flickr

The strip LED I was using was warm white so it's way more yellow than it will be. I'll use cool white when I do it for real. However it looks like there will be enough light getting through to do what I want.
006 testing photo etch by Kev C, on Flickr

Next I decided to get a coat of primer on the inside. Of course I didn't want primer on behind the displays so I had masking to do.
007 masking for primer by Kev C, on Flickr

Next I put some Aluminum tape on the bottom and in the parts of the walls where the displays are not. I thought that would be the easiest.

008 Light blocking bridge by Kev C, on Flickr

Overall it's not going too badly. Of course I got too much primer on the inside in spots so I have to try and clean it up a bit. Also, there area a few spots on the floor that got a bit dinged when I was removing the plastic rails. I'm probably going to try and fix them up a bit.
009 bridge primer by Kev C, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:09:49 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »
Looking good so far.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Epyonkiller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »
Man, those PE rails are...yikes! 

I can't wait to see it finished 😀

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 05:37:03 am »
Way to think through to a solution, Kevin! I may follow suit and used the same solution when I build mine!

This is looking good so keep going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 01:37:20 pm »
Thanks guys!

Got a bit more work done today and I did some investigating in the process.

The first thing I did after all the parts got their soap and water bath was to did some test fitting. The secondary hull fit together beautifully. The nacelles both had one half that was warped a bit. It looks nasty, but there will be no problem once they're glued together. They come together just fine.
010 warped nacelle 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

011 warped nsacelle 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Next I got started at the shuttle bay. I cut out the windows where the PE parts will go. As I was going at it with my dremel I started to chuckle. I got to thinking about the fact that one minute we're being so careful so we don't damage the plastic, and then the next minute we're cutting whole chunks of it out!  ;D
012 shuttle bay started by Kev C, on Flickr

I dry fit the shuttle bay together and did a test fit in the secondary hull. Like everyone else I have to do some pretty massive modifications to make room on the sides so the exterior windows and the side windows in the shuttle bay can be lit. As it is now there is NO room to spare....time to butcher more plastic!
013 shuttle bay fit 1 by Kev C, on Flickr
014 shuttle bay fit 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

There is room under the shuttle bay for the ion pod lights and the lights on the back of the ship...that's a good thing.  ;)
015 shuttle bay fit 3 by Kev C, on Flickr

Finally I did what is everyone's favourite thing that has ever done a 1/350 build .. I got the bridge crew painted.   ;D
 I will have all the regulars on the bridge. They turned out fine..it's just a question of not destroying them before I can get them in place. I'm sure some of you will notice that two of them have no legs. Unfortunately on this ship Chekov and Sulu had to get their legs amputated to sit in their chairs....oh well, we all have to make sacrifices.  ;D
 I also started painting the rails for the bridge. I did the black posts now and will do the red tops when they're in place.
016 mini painting by Kev C, on Flickr

Sooo ...my vacation is over and I have to go back to work tomorrow. Things will slow down again now but hopefully I can keep doing something during the week.
 Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:13:40 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 02:30:47 pm »
From where did you get the photoetch and figures? 

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 04:10:42 pm »
From where did you get the photoetch and figures?

I got the photo etch parts from http://www.culttvmanshop.com/
  I get a lot of my models and accessories from them. They're very good.

I got the figures from L'Arsenol. The url for the figures is http://www.larsenal.com/1-350-naval-figures-x-50-c2x15951810
Kevin

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 08:08:23 pm »
Finally I did what is everyone's favourite thing that has ever done a 1/350 build .. I got the bridge crew painted.   ;D
 I will have all the regulars on the bridge. They turned out fine..it's just a question of not destroying them before I can get them in place. I'm sure some of you will notice that two of them have no legs. Unfortunately on this ship Chekov and Sulu had to get their legs amputated to sit in their chairs....oh well, we all have to make sacrifices.

I really wish Polar Lights had included some crew figures in the Refit/A model. Trying to run down L'arsnel 1:350 scale figures in problematic at best.

Enterprise © Bloc