Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nope....Not Another Refit...It's The 1/350 TOS Enterprise!  (Read 7147 times)

Offline gene1138

• Captain
Re: Nope....Not Another Refit...It's The 1/350 TOS Enterprise!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 10:16:01 pm »
Great start, Kevin.  Gonna be a terrific build.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 02:55:09 pm »
Great start, Kevin.  Gonna be a terrific build.

Thanks Gene.  :)

I really wish Polar Lights had included some crew figures in the Refit/A model. Trying to run down L'arsnel 1:350 scale figures in problematic at best.

Actually Lestatdelc they're a very easy company to order from. I got a set of little people when I did my refit and I ordered another set now for this build. Both times they came very quickly indeed...no problem at all.
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 04:24:56 pm »
Lighting up the bridge monitors isn't too bad.  The opaque plastic transmits light nicely, as you're finding out.  I didn't put in enough LEDs around the bridge, though, so I've only got a couple monitors lit up.  Next time, I'm going to spend a lot of time on the bridge.

Your build is looking good!  Well done!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 02:20:48 pm »
Lighting up the bridge monitors isn't too bad.  The opaque plastic transmits light nicely, as you're finding out.  I didn't put in enough LEDs around the bridge, though, so I've only got a couple monitors lit up.  Next time, I'm going to spend a lot of time on the bridge.
Your build is looking good!  Well done!

Thanks Matt!
  I find that it's easy to come up with big plans for the bridge....but then it's a question of whether it's possible with something that size! However, I think it'll turn out OK....we'll see.  :)

In other news ... I got my electronics from TenaControls today ....looking forward to getting them fired up. It's gonna look so cool!
017 Tena Control Boards by Kev C, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:17:58 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
I got a set of little people when I did my refit and I ordered another set now for this build. Both times they came very quickly indeed...no problem at all.

Which L'Arsnel set of people did you order?

It appears they have three sets:

1/350 Naval figures at combat post x 50 - (Code: AC 350 33)
1/350 Naval figures x 50 - (Code: AC 350 25)
1/350 NAVAL FIGURES for all nations x 100 - (Code: PE 3512)

That last one might be a photo etch set in brass based on the part code. But that's just a guess on my part since they don't have a photo of that set.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:31:53 pm by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 02:29:04 pm »
Yup it's the 1/350 naval figures X50   AC 350 25

I know it seems like 50 of them are a lot but they are extremely delicate. They come on resin like sprues and some of them will be damaged by the time they get to your house. However there are always plenty of them in good shape to work with. ...and to drive you crazy!  ::)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:54:06 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 01:50:59 pm »
Time for another update guys ...
  We were away for part of the weekend so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked but here's what I did do.

First off, I was able to get the bridge done. It went not too badly. Generally I'm satisfied with how it turned out, considering the wicked little size of it. It's obvious that the bridge it a bit under the 1/350 scale because the people are too big for it really. However, it's what we got.
018 Bridge done 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

I got the main characters on the bridge for this. They're all at their regular stations, except for McCoy who it standing to Kirk's left.
019 bridge done 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

I'm not depicting any particular scene here, just a general moment in time. However, although it's a bit hard to see Chekov does has his arm raised toward the view screen as if something has got his attention at that planet they're looking at. He might be saying "Ciptain! Vhat's Dat?"  ;D
020 bridge done 3 by Kev C, on Flickr

For lighting it I'm experimenting with a ring of strip lighting around it. I've resistored it down further so it's not too bright.
017a bridge and lighting by Kev C, on Flickr

Here are a few shots with the screens lit up. In this first shot ...there's nothing fancy going on at Uhura's station...it's just the way the light's hitting it.
021 bridge done 4 by Kev C, on Flickr

I did paint the undersides of the computer panels a transparent blue but for some reason they look more green...a bit of a bummer....
022 bridge done 5 by Kev C, on Flickr
023 bridge done 6 by Kev C, on Flickr

Here's one of the shots with the light ring photoshopped out...just for something to do ....
024 bridge done  7 by Kev C, on Flickr

Like I said I'm satisfied. There are some things I'm not thrilled with however. The photo etch parts didn't fit all that well in spots. Granted there are a lot of tricky angles going on in there so I'll give them some leeway on that one. The other thing however was that the decals they supplied were pretty much useless. I Had to use some of them but I used the kit supplied ones for the main view screen and the monitors around the top walls. They at least had some depth to them. The down side is that the dimensions weren't exactly the same so there was a bit of a 'fit' issue in spots. It was a trade off I was willing to make though.
  I am happy with how the photo etch rails around the centre turned out. It was tricky but it is do-able. It helps to have a good pair of tweezers and wussy little thin fingers though!  ;D

Today I got a start at the experimenting and modifications I need to do to be able to light the back outside windows beside the shuttle bay as well as the ones in the shuttle bay itself. I took my dremel and removed some plastic on the inside wall of the secondary hull on one side just to see what I could do. Luckily that wall is fairly thick so I could remove a good amount without risking going right through.
  What I ended up doing was using an SMD in there. I tried it in a few different spots to see what happened.
025 shuttle lights 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

For now I just put some white duct tape on that side of the shuttle bay to give some reflection and set it up. Overall I think it will work fine. Of course there's no light blocking done at all so it looks pretty brutal in that regard, but you can get a sense of the lighting in the windows.
026 shuttle lights 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Since the SMD is so small I can locate it in a bit of a depression I made in the plastic so it doesn't hamper the fit of the shuttle bay in the secondary hull. I seems to close up just fine with it in place.
027 shuttle lights 3 by Kev C, on Flickr

And it lights up the windows in the shuttle bay nicely as well.
028 shuttle lights 4 by Kev C, on Flickr

Once I was satisfied that I was possibly on the right track with the lighting I decided to start on finishing the inside of the shuttle bay itself. the first step is to get some canopy glue in the photo etch windows. Once they're dry and transparent I can mask them off and start painting.
029 canopy glue in windows by Kev C, on Flickr

It's moving along. I went and got some paint and a few other things I need yesterday so I should have just about everything I need to move forward!

Now guys, I need your thoughts and opinions on something ....

I've been toying with the idea of having the chiller grills lit in this guy. I remember reading that Gene Rodenberry originally wanted to have them lit in the series but limitations of the time prevented it. I've also seen where some people have had them lit.
  The way I see it I have 3 options here
1) Not lit.... Less work and true to the real studio model.
2) Lit.... More work but would look cool. However it's straying from the real thing.
3) Lit but with a switch to turn it off and on... More work and more wiring running down the tube to the base. However then I have the option of being true to the studio model or having an 'extra' bit of coolness.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for looking!  ;)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:27:15 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 02:30:30 pm »
I think you should light them. A nice soft glow coming from the sides of the engines will look good i think.
Phil

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 02:35:41 pm »
I've been toying with the idea of having the chiller grills lit in this guy. I remember reading that Gene Rodenberry originally wanted to have them lit in the series but limitations of the time prevented it. I've also seen where some people have had them lit.
2) Lit.... More work but would look cool. However it's straying from the real thing.
3) Lit but with a switch to turn it off and on... More work and more wiring running down the tube to the base. However then I have the option of being true to the studio model or having an 'extra' bit of coolness.

What do you guys think?

I would say 3 as the first choice, 1 as the second.

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 07:33:43 am »
Kevin,

I think you are doing a bang up job on this so far! The bridge looks nice, despite the stuff you mention! Your lighting concept is very good!

As for the flux chillers I agree with starseigeplayer:

I would say 3 as the first choice, 1 as the second.

And since you might do the lighted flux chillers, are you going to do something similar to the Energy/Matter Source Field Restoration nodes on the Aft of the nacelles? I've seen other builds that have those lighted, too, adding to the coolness factor as well.

Jus curious...

Steady as she goes, Captain!

Steve
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:11:12 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 10:05:51 am »
The bridge turned out amazing!  I know from experience how painful it is to work with, and you did a great job on it.  Well done!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 03:57:36 pm »
Thanks so much for the kind words and the input guys!

The bridge turned out amazing!  I know from experience how painful it is to work with, and you did a great job on it.  Well done!

Thanks Matt! Ya the bridge is a challenge and it is pretty much impossible to get it to a point where I could say that I think it looks 'good'. Considering the size of it and the funkiness of the photo etch parts etc. it turned out ok.  :)

I think you are doing a bang up job on this so far! The bridge looks nice, despite the stuff you mention! Your lighting concept is very good!
And since you might do the lighted flux chillers, are you going to do something similar to the Energy/Matter Source Field Restoration nodes on the Aft of the nacelles? I've seen other builds that have those lighted, too, adding to the coolness factor as well.

Thanks Steve!
 I would consider doing the alternate back ends to the nacelles but the kit only comes with the standard ones with the ball thingies (I bet I just amazed you with my advanced techno-babble!  ;D ).  Since I'm already sinking a pretty good amount of cash into this baby I think I'll stick with them. You're right it would be cool though.

I've decided to go with the third option. I would hate to do the model without the lit chiller grills and then regret it later. Since I can turn them on or off I feel like I'm staying true to the real studio model (because realistically it'll be off 99% of the time) and at the same time giving a nod to what Mr. Rodenberry would have done if he'd been able to back in the day. Plus I still think it will look cool!  ;D
Therefore the nacelles have been light blocked today with the black....waiting for it to dry.
Onwards and upwards!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:07:18 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 03:59:04 pm »
That bridge is a testament to your tenacity. Good job!

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 08:46:29 pm »
Great start,  Ill be watching I have one on the shelf

Nick

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 07:34:19 am »

Thanks Steve!
 I would consider doing the alternate back ends to the nacelles but the kit only comes with the standard ones with the ball thingies (I bet I just amazed you with my advanced techno-babble!  ;D ).  Since I'm already sinking a pretty good amount of cash into this baby I think I'll stick with them. You're right it would be cool though.

Kevin, your grasp of the technobabble is amazing!  ;D

I hear ya about the need to keep the cash flow minimal. I was thinking about a way to mold and press some clear acrylic for my NSEA Protector build and it may be a way to get a clear part for "the alternate back ends to the nacelles." It would involve some plaster, clear acrylic, monomer and some vaseline, but certainly do-able. :)

Still, this is an awesome build and I can't wait to see your interpretation of the build!!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Enterprise © Bloc