Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nope....Not Another Refit...It's The 1/350 TOS Enterprise!  (Read 9718 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
Re: Nope....Not Another Refit...It's The 1/350 TOS Enterprise!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 02:08:25 pm »
Just a short update today guys....

First off, the canopy glue I put in the shuttle bay windows was a mess. It bubbled something fierce as it dried and looked disgusting. I managed to get it out not too badly. I slightly damaged one of the side photo etch pieces but got it off a flattened it out again pretty well. I glued it back in place and will carry on when it gets dry. It's one of those things that I could stress about because it kinda sucked. However keeping in mind that it won't be visible straight on it will look fine.
  I didn't get any pictures of this event...really not much to show. Once I get to that point again I'm going to use micrco krystal klear this time.

In other news, I got my nacelles light blocked with a coat of white inside. Today I put in the blue LED strips.....
030 Strip LED's in Nacelles 1 by Kev C, on Flickr
031 Strip LED's in nacelles 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

And fired them up!
032 nacelles lit 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

I think it's going to look good. It's not too bright, just a nice soft blue glow. I'll have to cover up those little rectangular things on the far wall inside so they don't show up but that's not a problem.

Next I placed the photo etch sheet over one of the openings to get an idea of what it will look like....
033 nacelles lit 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Of course when I do it for real there will be some frosted clear styrene in behind for diffusion. But from what I see so far it should look like I'm hoping.

Lastly, just for fun I hooked up the bussard collector boards I got from TenaControls. Man they do look cool!

034 nacelles and bussard collectors by Kev C, on Flickr

There is a slight problem in that two of the 'spinning' LED's on one of the boards won't light up. I've emailed Ralph and I'm sure he'll get me fixed up.  ;)

Anyway that's all I did today. Tomorrow I'll continue on with the shuttle bay, priming the inside etc. I'll also keep working on the nacelles.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:20:10 am by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 06:50:02 pm »
wow!  the lights look fabulous!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 04:44:00 pm »
Hi guys  :)

Just a quick note before I post my pictures for this update. The little problem with a couple of the 'spinning' LED's in one of the bussard collectors has been fixed. I posted a longer explanation in a post about it in the General Discussion board, but suffice to say here that Ralph at TenaControls was fantastic in helping me get the faulty LED's fixed without having to send the board back or anything. For anyone that's new to the hobby and don't know about him, I HIGHLY recommend him and his electronics. He's the best! His URL is http://www.tenacontrols.com/

Ok on with my update ...  :)

As usual it's very slow going during the week as time is quite limited. However I have got a couple things done ... or well....sort of..

I got the inside walls of the shuttle bay painted. First I got the sand colour mixed to my liking and applied. The next day I did the grey around the windows and it looked good....
035 Shuttle bay not done 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

Until I saw .... ARRRGH! Some of my masking tape screwed up! (OK maybe it was me  ::)  )
036 Shuttle bay not done 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Anyway, That's completely unacceptable so I had to start again. Since I had mixed the colour for the walls there way no way to just redo that one wall and have it match the other two. I had to do them all. I have the sand colour repainted on them and will redo the grey in a day or two.

I've also been working away at prepping my nacelles getting them ready to glue together. Since I've decided to light them I have to light block them, including the front and back. Anyone who has followed any of my previous builds will know that I'm a fan of doing whatever light blocking I can on the inside ... before the light can get to the seams that would cause me to have to do it on the outside. I've always been shy of that...not my strong suit.

I'm approaching it the same way I did with the nacelles on my Voyager build and installing light blocking walls near the front and back to keep light from the ends. I don't know for sure that it would be necessary at the front but it does no harm and better safe than sorry.
037 preping nacelles 1 by Kev C, on Flickr
038 preping nacelles 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

It works well because I held one shut and turned on the lights. You can see how bright it is at the top but next to no light is making it back to the back. I can put the end pieces on and not have to worry any more about light leaks back there.
039 preping nacelles 3 by Kev C, on Flickr

I'm getting close to being able to glue the nacelles together. I just have to run the three wires for the bussard collectors and I can go ahead with it. Then I'll have the pleasure of puttying and sanding those seams!  ;D

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:23:04 am by karve »
Kevin

Offline gene1138

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 12:05:06 pm »
Looking great!  Like the lighting on the nacelles.

I had the same problem of bubbles forming in my shuttle bay windows too.  One of the reason I closed up the shuttle bay to never look at it again.  :)  I think maybe putting the glue in in layers might prevent the bubbling but I never made the effort to try it.

I never did a proper build thread of my TOS build but I have a suggestion on placing the fx board for easy access inside the secondary hull.  I built a little tray for the board to sit on that can slide in and out.  I think I extended some of the wires going up into the saucer.  And the copper colored deflector housing can be installed without gluing for easy access to the inside.  You see in the pic another board.  That died unfortunately during the build up and was permanently stuck inside the hull because some CA glue had got on it.  Ralph was super great about sending a whole nother board to replace.  So yes Ralph provides excellent customer support. :D

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 01:43:39 pm »
I never did a proper build thread of my TOS build but I have a suggestion on placing the fx board for easy access inside the secondary hull.  I built a little tray for the board to sit on that can slide in and out.  I think I extended some of the wires going up into the saucer.  And the copper colored deflector housing can be installed without gluing for easy access to the inside.

Thanks Gene!
  That's basically the same as what I did with my refit. I built a little harness to hold the control board in place just behind the deflector dish and used magnets to hold the dish in place. So far it's staying together perfectly. I was thinking of doing the same with this ship... I guess great minds think alike!  ;D

One thing I learned from working with electronics for 30 years+ .... never seal your electronics in where you can't get to them. It will come back and bite you in the you-know-where!  ::)
Kevin

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 02:19:58 pm »
Well.........dang!

Wish I had read about this sooner. My Romulan BoP is already sealed up.

Still, it's a great plan - one I can use in my later builds!

Thanks Gurus of Electronics!!

Your humble student,

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 06:24:53 pm »
I built a little harness to hold the control board in place just behind the deflector dish and used magnets to hold the dish in place. So far it's staying together perfectly.

That's what I am doing on my refit builds. But not just the deflector dish, but most likely the saucer top as well.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »
Well.........dang!
Wish I had read about this sooner. My Romulan BoP is already sealed up.
Still, it's a great plan - one I can use in my later builds!

That's what I am doing on my refit builds. But not just the deflector dish, but most likely the saucer top as well.

I had two boards in my refit because Ralph hadn't incorporated all the features into one board yet. I found that they both fit in my secondary hull very nicely just behind the deflector dish.

Here's a picture of the boards mounted in case you're interested ...

Kevin

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 05:36:14 pm »
I was hoping to get my nacelles glued together yesterday. It took me a little while to decide the best way to run the various wiring I needed in there while keeping the number of wires going down through the pylons to a minimum. I decided that a little three wire buss running down through there would be fine.
040 nacelles final wiring by Kev C, on Flickr

Once I got the wires soldered together and hot glued nicely in place I hooked everything up to make sure it was going to work. It looked good!
041 nacelles wiring test by Kev C, on Flickr

Once I got to that point I thought I'd take a break and come to post a couple pictures and explain what I had done. As I was typing it suddenly hit me....AARRGHH! I had wired it up incorrectly! I had forgotten that I wanted to have the blue nacelle lights to be swtiched so I can turn them off. The way I had them wired, they would be on all the time. GRRRR ....I had to fix it.  :(
  However, after all that drama, it was a very easy fix. When I came home from work today I just unhooked that positive lead from the buss and wired in a separate magnet wire that will run down through as well and will go to the switch in the base.
042 nacelle wiring corrected by Kev C, on Flickr

Once that was done and I retested all the wires to make sure it all worked I put some masking tape over the chiller grill hole and in the slots where the pylons will go. I don't want paint etc. getting in there that would give me grief later on.  ::)
043 ready for closing by Kev C, on Flickr

After that it was time to glue. I don't know about you guys but every time I glue something major together like that I can't help but be nervous ....What did I forget to do??? Will it hold ok???? No going back now...  :-\
They did go together very nicely though.  :)
044 nacelles glued by Kev C, on Flickr

This weekend I'll get started with puttying and sanding them. I'm looking forward to seeing if the same techniques I used with Batman and Catwoman will work as well here. Time will tell!
  I'm also going to keep working on the shuttle bay (See if I can get it painted properly this time ::) ) and I'll start working on the other parts of the nacelles.
Thanks for looking.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:15:51 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 06:10:24 pm »
Nice work- as usual. I especially like the homemade light-blocking bulkheads.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2016, 07:19:40 am »
Kevin, there must be an issue with Photobucket as the pictures you posted, or rather their links, are working.

Guess I'll check back later. Hopefully by then, photobucket will be up and running.

Cheers.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 03:16:44 pm »
Didn't do much today on my model....not feeling really very good.  :-\

Oh well...

I did get my shuttle bay walls painted better today. It's amazing how well it works when you mask properly!  ::)
There's a bit more detail painting I want to do on them and then it'll be time for a coat of future. Of course I'm going to put a couple coats on the floor for a nice shine.  ;)
045 Shutttle bay painted well by Kev C, on Flickr

The only other thing I did today was I put a coat of squadron putty in the seams of my nacelles. Once they were dry I sanded them down. Of course they didn't look great yet, but I went ahead and put a thin coat of primer on anyway. The reason I did that was because from here on I'm going to be using the thinned bondo concoction I used with the seams in my Batman and Catwoman builds a couple months ago. That turned out really well with them so I'm going to try it with this. I used the squadron putty just to do the rough filling in of the seams and now I'll use the bondo for the fine work. Hopefully it will be OK.
046 nacelles first putty and primer by Kev C, on Flickr

047 nacelles first putty and primed 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

I know this was a pretty lame update, but I'm hoping to do better soon.  :)
Thanks for looking though!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:18:16 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »
Looking good.
And any update is a good update.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2016, 08:07:49 am »
Looking good.
And any update is a good update.

Agreed!

Keep 'er going, Scotty!

Steve

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2016, 04:03:48 pm »
For you guys who are old enough .... remember when we were playing a record that had a scratch and it'd skip and play the same 1 1/2 seconds over and over and over again? Well that's kind of how I'm feeling right now because I keep showing you pictures of the same parts of my build over and over   :-\  sorry ...but believe me I am making progress....

I've been working away at eliminating the seams on the nacelles, something that others who have done this model have said can be a major pain. However, it seems to be going OK for me. I did them pretty much exactly the same way as I did the seams on my Batman and Catwoman. I started with squadron white putty (which I didn't do with them) and then I switched to thinned Bondo for the fine tuning.

This picture I took just after I finished sanding down the second fine tuning coat of bondo in a few sections that needed it. I used 2000 grit wet dry paper, wet.
049 Nacelles Puttied by Kev C, on Flickr

Another coat of primer and I must say that they're looking pretty good!  :)
050 Nacelles Primed by Kev C, on Flickr

From what I can see right now I think I got them done. I'll have a better look tomorrow after the paint is good and dry. Assuming that it's OK then I can go ahead and get a good coat of primer on there and be ready for painting!  ;)

Yesterday I finished painting the walls and ceiling of the shuttle bay and today I put a coat of future on everything. The floor has a couple coats for a better shine. Tomorrow I'll get the Krystal Klear in the windows and cross my fingers that it turns out better than it did before with the canopy glue, because whatever it turns out like is how it's gonna be.
  Also, I didn't realize that I had decals for the door areas on the side walls when I painted them brown. Hopefully they will look OK once I put them on. If they can't compete with the brown and look crappy then I'll just go with the brown doors and it'll be OK.
051 Shuttle Bay Painted and Futured by Kev C, on Flickr

Finally, I did a slight but important modification today. As the kit came out of the box, the Bussard Collector domes were extremely tight fitting into their housing, to the point where I do believe if I tried to force them they would break.
052 Dome Tight Fit by Kev C, on Flickr

I took my dremel with it's sanding disc and worked around the inside of the housing to take out a bit of material ....
053 Tight Dome Fix by Kev C, on Flickr

And the dome fit much much better. I still wanted to have it fit snug enough that it would stay in place without having to glue it in. My goal is to leave all the electronics accessible ...just in case....
054 NIce fit by Kev C, on Flickr

I've got all the attaching pieces of the nacelles detached from their sprues and I'm in the process of getting them primed. Assuming the seams on the nacelles themselves are in good shape I'll be able to start on the path to getting everything ready to get them put together.  :)

Thanks for looking!  ;)

EDIT .... After I got done posting this it had been long enough that I went and had a good close look at the nacelles. The primer was completely dry and they looked really good. The seams are officially gone.  ;D
  I'm really pleased with how they look.
  A nice light bit of wet sanding and they will be ready for priming and painting.  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:21:46 pm by karve »
Kevin

Enterprise © Bloc