Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby  (Read 10732 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Greetings, Questerians!

Since I have met with a temporary setback on my AMT TOS Romulan BoP build, I decided to try and go ahead with my next build; the "Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector"! I got this as a birthday present earlier this year, along with the Photoetch set, and the Soundtrack by David Newman!

NSEA Protector Box Art

Model Paragrafix

The plan so far is to
1.   light it
2.   paint it with iridescent colors, similar to the recent refit builds going on, use aztecing
3.   use fiber optics for the smaller lights

I've even made some progress on the model by using a pin vise and bit to drill out all the windows on the primary hull.

Primary Hull lighting External

Anyway, still working toward the goal of making an awesome refit (1/537) and an even awesomer 1/350 TOS Enterprise!

I hope you will follow along as I start another journey into the unknown!

Never Give Up!
Never Surrender!

Steve
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:44:41 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:30:39 am »
Strap me in for your next mission!  Really enjoy your builds;)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 11:26:34 am »
Looking forward to following this one as you go.
Iain

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
Going to be watching this. I plan on getting this kit.
So I'll be watching for Ideas.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 12:36:37 pm »
Excellent!

(Just an idea for your engine pods - http://www.100candles.com/i-6010/Flickering-Battery-Operated-Tea-Light-Candle-Amber?affId=121&gclid=CPypu_zJhdACFQSBaQodmcwGbg)

^ love these things, buy them by the dozen. Fried more than a few, but found if you use 9v like I do adding a 480 Ohm resistor seems to straighten them out. Makes for awesome sauce flicer effect for 69 cents  ;)
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 01:19:05 pm »
I have that very same model partially built in my closet... Too late to light it but someday I will finish it.

Looking good!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:11:54 am »
YOU SEE?! Comments like THESE are why I really love this forum! Thanks, guys! I will try to do you proud!

I forgot to mention that I also plan to use a technique I used on my 1974 AMT TOS Enterprise restore to press a clear part for the Protector!

There is a part of the forward wing, both starboard and port, that appears red in the movie. I hope to light it but the piece will need to be clear and the OOB piece is definitely, uhm, not. I already have some clear acrylic and monomer from Sally's Beauty Supply and, using the same technique above, I will have to make one. This SHOULD be the only custom, uhm, non-OOB part of the build! At least I hope so.

Protector-2marked by MSgtUSAFRet, on Flickr

As I've stated before, I plan to take my time on this lovely and make it a good one. I have seen excellent builds of the model and many build logs that say it goes together very quickly and very well. I am hoping to not have to extensively modify this build as the Restore and Romulan have depleted my will to heavily modify models; at least for now!

I have done some dry test fitting of the major pieces and other's assessment of the model seem correct; it should go together pretty well. Here are some shots of the test fitting:

20160918_145543 by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

20160918_145543 by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

Thanks for reading and for your kind comments! Both are greatly appreciated!

Steve
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:53:51 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 03:31:41 am »
Looks like a really cool ship. I've only seen the movie once....I think I'll have to watch it again to get another look. I do like that ship....may have to one day.....  ;)

I'll be watching with interest. Looks good so far!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 10:03:10 am »
I'll watch this too. Such a cool ship. Did you already decide what kind of glue you will use? Afaik regular glue will not work because it is ABS plastic.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 11:03:14 am »
I've only seen the movie once....I think I'll have to watch it again to get another look.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!  :o :o :o :o :o :o Only...ONCE?!?!?!? ;D ;D ;D J/K!

It is on my
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:05:34 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline cmfowler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 11:22:21 am »
looking forward to seeing more. 

Offline DaveMondo

• Commander
  • Shin Godzilla
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 01:13:47 pm »
Interesting looking ship! I've never seen the movie, I'll add it to my watch list.
It is the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »
...I've never seen the movie...

WHAT?!?!

You must see it ASAP.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Garbaron

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 07:11:57 am »
Interesting looking ship! I've never seen the movie, I'll add it to my watch list.

:o

Do NOT return here before you have seen it!

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 07:26:58 am »
Great Start here Steve, have you thought about using Magnet wire? its brilliantly thin and fits in most spots I have found.
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Enterprise © Bloc