Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby  (Read 11056 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 08:05:55 am »
Great Start here Steve, have you thought about using Magnet wire? its brilliantly thin and fits in most spots I have found.

No, I hadn't! More ideas! I love it!

I had thought about using the 24 AWG wire typically found in Cat 5e or Cat6 UTP data cables. They are small and flexible and may fit through the smaller spaces. From the looks of things, the 30 AWG may fit the bill. Thanks, Morgan!

Trekriffic also suggested using a scribing tool to make channels for the wire in the wing allowing use of a bigger wire (he recommended 26 AWG). The tool would allow for a more uniform depth and would be less likely to perforate the plastic than would a dremel and a bit.

Woohoo! Again, thanks for the interest! I hope to do you proud!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 08:22:49 am »
Interesting looking ship! I've never seen the movie, I'll add it to my watch list.

Me neither but that ship looks cool!
Iain

Offline DaveMondo

• Commander
  • Shin Godzilla
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 09:24:10 am »
Interesting looking ship! I've never seen the movie, I'll add it to my watch list.

:o

Do NOT return here before you have seen it!

Sure thing...whoops  ;D

Dave
It is the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 07:45:17 pm »
...I've never seen the movie...

WHAT?!?!

You must see it ASAP.
It's a great movie.   Patrick Stewart loved it too :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 07:10:00 am »

:o

Do NOT return here before you have seen it!

Sure thing...whoops  ;D

Dave

Nice one, Dave! ROTFL!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 07:16:27 am »
...I've never seen the movie...

WHAT?!?!

You must see it ASAP.
It's a great movie.   Patrick Stewart loved it too :)

I'd heard that, too! Sir Stewart didn't want to watch it because it was a parody of Star Trek but, after Jonathan Frakes called him and told him to watch it, he found it "Brilliant."

He went on to say "No one laughed louder or longer in the cinema than I did, but the idea that the ship was saved and all of our heroes in that movie were saved simply by the fact that there were fans who did understand the scientific principles on which the ship worked was absolutely wonderful. And it was both funny and also touching in that it paid tribute to the dedication of these fans."

As I've said before, while I am not a "Knight of the British Empire", it is my favorite movie because the heroes, who are actors, become the actual heroes they portrayed. Awesome!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 06:19:39 pm »
Pedal to the metal Captain!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 06:21:41 pm »
I second the idea about magnet wire.  I never knew such small stuff existed, but when you use it you will need not so much a drill as some light filing to create channels.  You might even be able to get away with just squeezing it into joints!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 04:10:00 am »
I second the idea about magnet wire.

Yup it's great stuff. You need a hot soldering iron to melt the insulation off the ends of it and to solder it but other than that it's wonderful. Just be smart about how much current you put through it. Lighting several LED's with it is fine (you can power a nice length of strip LED's with it just fine) ...just don't try and power your whole ship with one strand.. it is really thin gauge.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2016, 06:59:57 pm »
Never give up, never surrender!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 07:27:12 am »
Thanks, Guys, for the recommendations! I did some fiddling with creating channels for the 24AWG wires and found I was weakening the mechanical attachment points just to make enough room; so I quit until I can get some magnetic wire in 30AWG.

Apologies for the lack of response or updates. Last weekend can only be described using words that are not allowed here. I will recover and be back at it soon.

Again, I appreciate the support for the build!

Sir Alexander Dane: By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged.

Steve

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 08:03:17 am »
Happy Thanksgiving!

Apologies for the time between progress posts. Life hit with a 2' x 4' recently and I took some time to recoup. But I'm back at it now and, beyond lurking on the boards, I have been making some progress! While looking for some reference builds/threads on the web for the Protector, I am finding precious little on lighted Protectors. And, as I have noted before, even fewer builds are understandably completed. This model does not easily lend itself to wiring or lighting. But, not knowing any better, I'm gonna try anyway!  ;D ;)

While lurking, I found this jpg online! Wouldn't it be nice to have this in actual publication?! :)

Okay, on to the build. I think I have most of my lighting figured out. I am going to build this one on a 12V setup as I have a spare 12V power supply given to me. I think I have overestimated the resistors so no popping the LEDs. It wasn't until I arranged the LEDs on the breadboard that I noticed the colors where quite patriotic; ya know, for an American, Brit, or French! ;D

Breadboard light scheme by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

I also noticed from my DVD that there were two lights on the fantail, both port and starboard, that were white; presumably windows. I had planned for a single white LED to be put back there, but then I also noticed some red approach lights for the Surface Pods on the ventral surface of the fantail. So now I am toying with the idea of placing a small red LED back there as well attached to some fiber optics. Have settled yet but working on it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VS1CMd]Aft Windows by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr
Aft Red Running Lights by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

I thought I had all the planning complete, so I went forward with the light blocking. The instructions recommend starting with the primary hull before any other and, to my thinking, is the best for lighting, too.

White Light Blocking by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

I was thinking how I was going to physically, light the thing, especially without SMDs (haven't reached that stage in my building skills yet) and with the primary hull's curved surface. I decided on a platform sitting on top of the interior support for the mounting display. The model has an insert in the ventral primary hull (a separate section) which runs up into the dorsal primary hull through which I can, hopefully, run the wires and power. The platform will keep the dorsal hull's LEDs and wire out of the way until I can fully assemble them.

Primary Hull Lighting by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

I originally thought to only use two white LEDs for the dorsal primary hull's lighting, but the platform only lit the Aft portion of the windows; reference above where I thought I had this all planned out! :D So I added a third LED to the anterior of the platform. I think I have the hull window lights sorted. Whaddayathink?

Primary Hull lighting External by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

Well, that's it for now. With the holidays coming up, I hope to make some real gains on this build! Thanks for your patience between posts. I plan to get back on track!

Thanks, as always for reading and commenting!

Fred Kwan: Hey, Commander. Listen, we found some Protector lighting plans on a nearby planet. And we might be able to get there if we reconfigure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion. What'd'ya think?
Jason Nesmith: We'll do that!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Steve
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:25:22 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 03:36:14 pm »
Hey Steve those lights on the fantail looked square to me
and bigger. There is a good shot of them at the end of the
movie right before the credits roll. I'm going to attempt to
duplicate that on my build. And you are right about there
not being enough reference shots for lighting. You need to
pick up some prewired smds from Jerry at HDA Modelworx.
They come already resistored for twelve volts small wires
easy to route. They are easier to use than regular leds.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2016, 01:01:17 pm »
Hey Steve,

Catching up on this one, and looking forward to it! Digging the diagrams for lighting, they make things "mesh" in the mind  8) I didn't know they made PE for this one, I might have to look into that.

Just an FYI for the "shuttle" at the top, you can run wire to it with the 2 magnets as (+) and (-) connections, so it's removable, but will light up when placed on the model  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:08:10 pm by Jimmypop57 »
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »
Found another spot to mod for lighting. What do you think?
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Enterprise © Bloc